Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to thank @Sniki and @trs96 and others for the effort they input to support this community.

This is a caution about using 4K monitors with a HP Elite i7-3770 SFF using Intel HD4000 Graphics.

My late 2011 27" iMac would not support Mojave so I purchased this HP Elite 8300 I7-3770 and it has been a great learning experience. A comparable new iMac in my part to the world would have cost me over $4000 so it is a huge saving.

I had initially followed @trs96 guide and it worked beautifully until the update to macOS 10.14.6 would not take (maybe I fiddled too much) so tried a clean install of the @Sniki guide here. A lot more work involved but worth it in the long run.

My system is the HP Elite i7-3770 SFF using Intel HD4000 Graphics, identified as a Mac mini 6,2 with 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM (cost me only $100) and a Fenvi HB1200 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth card. My Apple Watch even unlocks the screen now. I use a BenQ G2411HD monitor via a DisplayPort to DVI adapter very successfully. I wanted to get a higher resolution monitor so purchased a Benq EL2870U monitor capable of 4K as well as 2560 x 1440.

The Benq EL2870U 4K monitor does not work with my HP Hackintosh - cannot even see the HP Boot screen. I have tried DisplayPort to DislpayPort and DisplayPort to HDMI without luck. I assume it may because the HP 8300 uses DisplayPort v1.1a and the Benq monitor uses DisplayPort v1.4. I have ordered a DisplayPort v1.1 to HDMI adapter and it might get me out of this bind.

I have started a new project using a Dell Optiplex 9020 MT and it works beautifully with the new Benq 4k monitor at 2560 x 1440 via DisplayPort connections.

Last edited:
My late 2011 27" iMac would not support Mojave so I purchased this HP Elite 8300 I7-3770 and it has been a great learning experience.
I originally came up with the idea of that 8300 guide to enable people to run macOS without having to spend a fortune on a new Mac. The prices have gone up to levels where many people just can't afford Apple's asking prices. Even a new i7 hackintosh can end up costing well over $1200. Lucky for all of us @Sniki purchased an HP 8300 and wrote up this UEFI hot patching guide. I have since sold my 8300 SFF and passed the baton to him for the guides for this hardware. There is now even a Catalina desktop guide that is even more advanced with new kexts and techniques.

Glad to hear you purchased a 9020 as well. I put the LG 4K monitor into the title of that build so readers who want 4K know to go with that. If you want your 4K monitor to work with the 8300 SFF there are graphics cards you can use. I had heard people mention that their 4K monitor would not work pre-install on the 8300 but not that it wouldn't even work at 1440p post install. When writing that guide I only had a 1080p monitor to test with.

Those with 1440p monitors stated that they worked with no problems with integrated HD4000. Back in 2012 4K monitors were scarce and very expensive compared to today. The DP 1.1 spec was not 4K capable at all. It would probably require some tweaks to the UEFI to get even 1440p to work with the BenQ monitor via the HD4000 graphics.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you purchased a 9020 as well. I put the LG 4K monitor into the title of that build so readers who want 4K know to go with that.
Your instructions for the HP were so good I decided to try the Dell 9020 MT and am awaiting arrival of a Gigabyte Radeon 4GB RX 570 GAMING PCI-E VGA Card and modDIY 24-Pin to 8-Pin Adapter Cable to take full advantage of my new setup.

Thanks again.

I have since sold my 8300 SFF and passed the baton to him for the guides for this hardware. aphics.
@trs96 I also thank you.
I don't think anyone was interested in the HP8000 series without your advice for the first time.
I don't think anyone was interested in the HP8000 series unless you give it advice.

Please give me proper advice in the future.

Thanks to you, HP8100 has been revived.
HP8100 Catalina.png

Last edited:
I used to run an 8300 with HD4000 graphics running a 1440p display with no problems. I have since upgraded to RX560 but would not want to run 4k on an HD4000 as suspect it would struggle. Even on 1440p the jump to RX560 made MacOS UI so much smoother.

create the future of the HP8000 series.
After Catalina, the HP 8000's will need to be using OC bootloader as far as I know. Since Sniki is the resident expert on OC, and he owns the HP 8300 he will be the go to moderator and write guides for that. Think of it like handoff and continuity features on a Mac. I got things going, handed off and now they should be continued.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

The HP 8300 Elite SFF is usually in the top 5 best sellers for desktops on Amazon.com. Right now it's back at number one again. The 512 GB SSD version of the 6300 Pro is at #4 in the list. Part of the reason is that Windows 7 Pro business users need to upgrade to 10 Pro by the end of 2019. Many companies have older Windows 7 Pro machines that won't run Windows 10 Pro very well. New Windows 10 Pro PCs start at about 350-400 USD, so the 8300 is the logical choice. You can find them in abundance, professionally refurbished at under $150. At that price you get 8GB of ram and an Ivy Bridge quad core i5 CPU. Handles Windows 10 quite easily. Most refurbishers also give you a full 1 year warranty when you buy one.

As you may already know Windows 7 extended support ends in January of 2020. Just two months away. If a corporation has to be running Windows 10 to be compliant they can save a lot of money by going with the 8300 SFF. They are more solidly built than many new 2019 desktop PCs. As we know, they also make a really nice performing Catalina hackintosh. They have USB 3.0 and Sata 3 onboard so they are still fast enough in 2019 even though they were built seven years ago. The hardware (case and mobo) is designed to last even much longer than that. This is why there are two of them in the top 5 best selllers.

Believe it or not, gamers are another reason why this PC is the number one best seller. Review by K. Tucker on Amazon.
There are a lot of reviews and answered questions saying this PC can't be used for gaming, but that's simply not true. This HP Elite 8300 arrived in like-new condition with a brand new hard drive, new RAM, and an unused Windows 10 key, and I was able to slot in a low profile GeForce 1050 video card that's so far been able to run every game I've thrown at it in 1080p with max settings, including Skyrim, GTAV, The Witness, Counter-Strike Global Offensive, and others.

It's a perfectly zippy computer on its own, but dropping in a decent graphics card (it appears the 1050 Ti is the most this system can handle, particularly with regard to its proprietary 240-watt power supply) has given me a system that well exceeds my expectations and runs video games better than any other device I've owned, including my past computers and home consoles.

Last edited:
Hi @trs96,

I installed windows 10 for dual booting on my hp 8300. My GT 210 is not working in windows 10. I installed latest drivers but not working. i am unable to change resolution. If i go to my display settings, it says Using Microsoft basic display driver.

Yellow exclamation mark appears in device Manager. I have searched google and came to conclusion that since Geforce GT 210 is very old, it has no support in windows 10.

So i am planning to buy GT 710. That will obviously work in Mojave and Catalina. Will it also work with windows 10 also?

Waiting for your reply.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back