Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered the EliteDesk 800 G3 on eBay, and I was never able to boot into the BIOS. So I don't know what's installed.
Didn't you contact the seller after you discovered this ? They shouldn't be selling anything without first confirming that it will boot to BIOS. That is the simplest and most basic refurbishing step they must do. Any decent seller will refund your money and not make you pay to ship it back. They screwed up, you made the mistake of ordering from them and they need to make it right.

Last edited:
Didn't you contact the seller after you discovered this ? They shouldn't be selling anything without first confirming that it will boot to BIOS. That is the simplest and most basic refurbishing step they must do. Any decent seller will refund your money and not make you pay to ship it back. They screwed up, you made the mistake of ordering from them and they need to make it right.
They sold me a barebones computer, and I bought the cpu, ram, and hard drives. So they probably had no way of testing it.

Just curious, did your problems with your 8300 occur during or after a macOS point update as they did for Chris ?
Before. I have not tried a point upgrade yet.
It happened AS I was upgrading the BIOS. My eBay-sourced 8300 USDT came with the BIOS low and I upgraded to 2.99. Then I installed macOS on SSD and was happy. The. Tried to clone to mSATA and my Acronis couldn’t see both mSATA and the SSD at the same time and I thought “Hey, maybe I need to keep going with the BIOS and there will be something cumulative on the latest version to address this”. It was during an upgrade attempt from 2.99 to 3.04 that I lost the machine with the exact symptoms reported by @ChrisRowland .
Turns out after recovery that no, the issue with the mSATA was unrelated to BIOS.
But anyway that when (not how cause I still don’t know) my BIOS/nvram/something got whacked and BIOS recovery got me back.
I am now stable on 3.04 and I have no plans to change that any time soon. I don’t see the need from reading the release notes for the next several BIOS versions.

They sold me a barebones computer, and I bought the cpu, ram, and hard drives. So they probably had no way of testing it.
I think that if they are selling PCs on Ebay they would have some ram and a CPU available to test. It's still their job to sell you something that is functional after you install those parts. See if you can contact Ebay and open a case to either get a working replacement or your money back.

I am now stable on 3.04 and I have no plans to change that any time soon. I don’t see the need from reading the release notes for the next several BIOS versions.
3.04 is where I ended up too. Should be perfectly good longer term.

@ChrisRowland , I faced this a couple of times. For me, it appeared to be a corrupted BIOS and may be related to nvram getting munged.

Try this. In one case it did work for me.

Create a bootable cdrom or USB 2.0 thumb drive (8GB or less, I used a 512mb drive!)
Be sure to name it HP_TOOLS
On it place ONLY the BIOS BIN file that WAS working.
Put the CD or USB drive in. Make sure the USB is in a 2.0 port, of using that media.
Power up. Wait. Wait. Wait. Be patient. Wait. It may take 3 minutes or 30!
Reboot. Be sure to enter into BIOS settings immediately and check and attempt to save your changes if you are able.
Be sure to remove the CD or USB immediately after first successful boot and so that you don’t begin anew the BIOS recovery method.
The HP Compaq 8300 Elite series are supposed to be able to do a BIOS recovery using this method.
Thanks for suggestion, however no luck. New motherboard now on order!

HP6300SF i3-2120 HD2000 working on "Legacy Support: Disabled" & ZOTAC GT640 on "Legacy Support: Enabled"
Make BIOS changes after removing Graphicscards.

- config.plist /ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=No
- config.plist /KernelAndKextPatches/KernelXCPM=No

Last edited:
Sniki, Where did you get that hp computer icon?

Installed new motherboard and upgraded bios. MSc OS the proceeded with update install and booted after very long wait. Now fully functioning.

New challenge/issue... and this may not be the thread to post on but I'll share because it is occurring on my continuing build.

I have a 250GB Samsung mSATA installed as my boot device. I've had a 120GB Kingston SSD in the drive caddy and formatted it exFAT. Everything has been great. I recently decided to buy a Seagate 4TB HDD to replace the Kingston in the caddy.

I plugged the Seagate into a USB3 port on the rear and reformatted it as GUID partition, with exFAT, using Disk Utility.
I then replaced the Kingston with the Seagate in the caddy (after removing it from its external enclosure of course), and powered up.

Here's the kicker... the BIOS post won't complete. I then took the drive back out of the internal caddy, placed it back into the external enclosure, plugged it into USB again, and powered up. Again, USDT will hang on post.
IF I disconnect the drive completely, the USDT goes past post normally and I'm up in macOS in about 14 seconds.
I can then plug the drive in and it is recognized! If I reboot, USDT will hang on post if the drive is attached.

What's going on? This does NOT happen with the Kingston (a 120GB drive..... is it capacity related? Seagate? Is there something the BIOS is trying to scan?)

Update: Tried also with 320GB HGST, works fine, gets past post, etc.
Update: Tried also with 1TB Crucial SSD, works fine, gets past post, etc.
Update: Tried different USB enclosures (OWC and Sabrent)

BIOS is 3.04

Help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back