Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sniki,

Thanks again for all your good work here.

I wanted to report that I bought another 8300 with an i5-3570, and mostly followed
your guide for installing Mojave rather than upgrading from High Sierra. I did not use
your config.plist or Rehabman's build of Clover but used Clover 4813, AppleALC 1.3.4,
Lilu 1.3.1, and WhateverGreen 1.2.6. I'm using another MSI low-profile RX 560 for graphics,
and upgraded the BIOS to 3.07.

Before I installed Mojave, I installed Windows 7 64-bit from HP Support, which they provided
on a 32 MB USB stick. I installed all 153 Windows updates, removed all of the HP Protect software,
and created a Windows 10 USB installer using the Media Creation Tool. I then disabled Legacy
ROMS, detached the Windows 7 HD, and installed Windows 10 on a 256 MB HP SSD. Windows
10 activated using the Windows 7 Product Key that came on the 8300's COA. I then detached
the HP SSD and installed Mojave on a Mushkin 240 GB SSD.

The first installer I prepared would cause a kernel panic on booting, but booted slowly in verbose mode.
I was able to complete the installation by rebooting the installer each time in verbose mode.

After everything was working, I modified the installer USB by removing all the kexts in EFI/Clover/other
except for Fake_SMC.kext. Booting from the installer no longer panics and works it OK in graphics mode.
In my installed Clover and Mojave, I followed the same strategy of only installing Fake_SMC in
Clover/kexts/other and installed all kexts in /L/E/.

With regard to the config.plist, your config.plist has device/properties for AAPL,ig-platform-id that don't
seem right for my disabled HD 2500 graphics, so I deleted that section, and for the ALC 221, you
have codec-id <2102ec10> which I think is right, but you have device-id <20e10000> which I think
should be <201e0000>. Originally, I was able to get full ALC functionality with your ssdt.aml, codec
commander, and merely injecting 11 in Clover. I've now removed the Clover injecton setting, and
switched over to Devices/Properties for the codec, using your codec-id, the modified device-id, and
layout-id <0b000000>. Internal and HDMI audio are working fine.

I've read about others here having trouble getting to the installer and having slow-boots, and I'm wondering
if your device properties are universal and/or correct for the device-id of the codec.

In any case, it is working well now and many thanks. I've run benchmarks and can see a small improvement
in the Geekbench scores corresponding to the faster i5-3570. Your installation also purports to provide
a working recovery volume but I haven't tested it yet. Do I need to install extra kexts for the recovery to work
properly?

Lisa

trs96, I don't have a problem to debug, but i think there's a typo in Sniki's config.plist
describing the 221 codec. Here's a copy of the config.plist I use (as generated by the debug
script). I'm successfully using this plist with two 8300's, one with an i5-3470, one with an
i5-3570, and both with MSI RX560 Graphics cards. The primary difference in the config.plist
is in the devices/properties section.

Since my last post, I've confirmed that I can now boot both 8300's recovery partition and
the installer on both machines. With kexts other than Fake_SMC in clover/kexts/other, I get
a kernel panic and restart. I didn't sort out which specific kexts caused the panic. If I enable
RaDeInit, the installer hangs in the Apple progress bar screen. If I disable RaDeInit and other
graphics choices as in the attached config.plist, I can complete installation in non-verbose
mode with the usual graphics.

If additional files are really needed I can provide them, but the config and the changed installation
of kexts in clover/kexts/other are the main differences.

Attachments

• configdebug.plist.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 75
I forgot to mention that I used HP's Bios Configuration Utility at

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HP_BCU.html

in Windows 10 to access the Serial Port B setting that I could not change from the BIOS menu.
It remains enabled using default BIOS settings even if you manually disable Serial Port A,
but using the Bos Configuration Utility it can be disabled.

Here's one part of the guide you haven't completed yet. Open your config.plist in Clover Configurator, generate a unique serial number via the iDiot's Guide to iMessage directions. Then uncheck Mobile, leave Trust checkmarked.
Screen_Shot.jpg

If you have a natively supported Broadcom BT device, you should also remove the BRCM related kexts from Clover/Kexts/other folder. Those are not considered "essential kexts" anyway. The latest SSDT-HP.aml has a fix for the BT problem and removes the need for those kexts to make your BT to work properly.

Last edited:
The first installer I prepared would cause a kernel panic on booting, but booted slowly in verbose mode.
I was able to complete the installation by rebooting the installer each time in verbose mode.
That is a known problem, i do sort of think it's more like a clover bug.
After everything was working, I modified the installer USB by removing all the kexts in EFI/Clover/other
except for Fake_SMC.kext. Booting from the installer no longer panics and works it OK in graphics mode.
In my installed Clover and Mojave, I followed the same strategy of only installing Fake_SMC in
Clover/kexts/other and installed all kexts in /L/E/.
This relates to slow boot and the need to boot on verbose, like i said it's more clover related as i didn't have that issue previously, i noticed on my laptop as well.
The thing is, i might actually change the guide to use VirtualSMC now as it's better in my opinion and it is going to be updated more regularly, also it's plugins are more efficient and has overall better debugging tools and will constantly get new features etc.
Thanks for pointing this out, i might actually do a clean install on my machine very soon, will test with VirtualSMC and try to see if slow installation repeats and if clover panics with it.
With regard to the config.plist, your config.plist has device/properties for AAPL,ig-platform-id that don't
seem right for my disabled HD 2500 graphics, so I deleted that section,
Correct, those settings are for HD4000.
I truly believe we can make HD2500 work as well, it is even specified on the WhateverGreen guide and also someone clearly reported having it working on Mojave.
That should be achievable but will require some testing and the tester should be decent in hackintosh.
If we somehow manage to fix HD2500, i will make a SSDT-IGPU so the system detects automatically and uses the correct configuration for the IGPU.
Will remove these IGPU injections as it works without them just fine and also should fix the trouble on other IGPU models.
i also believe system should run just fine even Without WhateverGreen on HD4000.
for the ALC 221, you
have codec-id <2102ec10> which I think is right, but you have device-id <20e10000> which I think
should be <201e0000>. Originally, I was able to get full ALC functionality with your ssdt.aml, codec
commander, and merely injecting 11 in Clover. I've now removed the Clover injecton setting, and
switched over to Devices/Properties for the codec, using your codec-id, the modified device-id, and
layout-id <0b000000>. Internal and HDMI audio are working fine.
Ok great, i will test with these changes and analyze this further. although WhateverGreen has multiple injection mechanisms and either way should work, im more concerned about the device-id which maybe might actually be wrong.
I've read about others here having trouble getting to the installer and having slow-boots, and I'm wondering
if your device properties are universal and/or correct for the device-id of the codec.
Honestly Graphics can work without device-id and AAPL,IG-platform-id, i left them there to personalize the Injection for myself like removing some unused framebuffer ports, try to patch VGA Port so it does work as well, but actually never got the time to work on it.
In any case, it is working well now and many thanks. I've run benchmarks and can see a small improvement
in the Geekbench scores corresponding to the faster i5-3570. Your installation also purports to provide
a working recovery volume but I haven't tested it yet. Do I need to install extra kexts for the recovery to work
properly?
You are welcome and thanks for your contribution, i appreciate that, Recovery volume works fine for me.

I will update the guide as soon as i get some time to work on it (especially after doing another clean install on my machine) and taking notes on every step so i can avoid/eliminate all those panics and hangs that i find and than update the guide accordingly so no one faces them.

@LisaAlterEgo i can confirm that after removing device-id and codec-id from config.plist /Devices/Properties/ Audio section: Audio does still work, so i will remove completely those two entries, they just might be causing more trouble.

I will also remove the IGPU entries like AAPL,ig-platform-id and device-id as for HD4000 they do work natively without a single issue, which that also means it should work OOB even without WhateverGreen.kext for HD4000 and also cause no trouble for HD2500 models.

If you are up for some testing on HD2500 let me know, i think i might have some good ideas to make it work.
We might be able to achieve something with FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext and by spoofing device-id to something different.

VirtualSMC.kext is working really good for me. i will have to test a clean install and see how it goes.

Just received a Zotac GT 710 for testing purposes. So far everything works, better than expected. Got it from Amazon warehouse for about 30 USD. 1GB version as I only use a single 1080p monitor. 1 gig is more than enough for that. Has full Metal support as you can see below. I've disabled my HD2500 graphics via the BIOS. The card is the fanless version as my HP 6300 Pro has very good airflow, no need for another fan. I'll report how it goes over the longer term.

Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 12.49.33 PM.png

1546803255213.png

Just received a Zotac GT 710 for testing purposes. So far everything works, better than expected. Got it from Amazon warehouse for about 30 USD. 1GB version as I only use a single 1080p monitor. 1 gig is more than enough for that. Has full Metal support as you can see below. I've disabled my HD2500 graphics via the BIOS. The card is the fanless version as my HP 6300 Pro has very good airflow, no need for another fan. I'll report how it goes over the longer term.

View attachment 377240
View attachment 377242
Congrats !

Do you still have the audio issue causing long boot ?

Does “Quick Look” and the “Preview” features that were introduced on Mojave work only with GT710 ?

Congrats !

Do you still have the audio issue causing long boot ?

Does “Quick Look” and the “Preview” features that were introduced on Mojave work only with GT710 ?

Doesn't have that ultra long 3+ minute boot time anymore. I haven't tried all the new features yet but they appear to work normally with this 710. HDMI audio working OOB too.
Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 2.42.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-06 at 2.34.09 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back