Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, things just took a turn for the worse... Last thing I did was make an adjustment to the PCIe 1x security in the BIOS... disabled ... and I can't remember the line exactly.

However, now the machine will not boot up. Nothing on the screen upon power on (tried DP default and then VGA out of curiousity). I check the power supply ... 19.5v. Motherboard has led near memory chip on.
After about 20-30 seconds the fan starts to spin faster and sounds like it goes up to full and just stays there.
No beeps, no HD activity. Never see POST screen (nothing on screen).

What happened? Did I just lose the motherboard/BIOS? I've pulled the battery, pressed the CMOS button. Removed all components except 1 memory card. Nada. If I remove the last memory card it does give me 5 beeps and red led flash near the power button.

I can't believe I got this far and boom.

Is it worth risking $15 on a used motherboard on eBay? Or should i offer this up for parts on same?

I can't believe I got this far and boom.
Maybe re-flash the BIOS and then load defaults an setup again is the best approach. You could also test the battery's voltage with a multimeter and see what it's like.
Did you follow my HP guide or this newer one from Sniki ?

Maybe re-flash the BIOS and then load defaults an setup again is the best approach.
Did you follow my HP guide or the newer one from Sniki ?
I followed Sniki's guide.
How do I reflash the BIOS? (sorry if that's beyond basic question). I can't get any display at all.

I followed Sniki's guide.
How do I reflash the BIOS? (sorry if that's beyond basic question). I can't get any display at all.
You have disconnected the boot drive correct ? If you did and still don't see BIOS when pressing F10 at boot then possibly you could connect a monitor with VGA and get the BIOS. Worth a try.

You have disconnected the boot drive correct ? If you did and still don't see BIOS when pressing F10 at boot then possibly you could connect a monitor with VGA and get the BIOS. Worth a try.
Yep. Everything is out of the case except 1 memory module, and VGA cable, plus USB keyboard and mouse. That's it. No image :(

Last thing I did was make an adjustment to the PCIe 1x security in the BIOS... disabled ... and I can't remember the line exactly.
Not sure how this BIOS setting could lock you out of the BIOS. I didn't think that these even have a PCIe x1 slot. It may be related to the mini PCIe slot your Wifi card was installed to.

Possibly try a different monitor and see what happens. Also see if you can boot from either a Windows USB installer or a DOS flash drive. It's the F9 key at boot up to choose a boot drive. If you can't get back in buy a replacement board and install that. For 15 dollars it's an easy solution.

Everything is out of the case except 1 memory module
Also, put the memory module in the other slot, sometimes one of the slots doesn't work and then you'll hear the 5 beep code at boot. Maybe even try different modules if you have them. Here are all the possible codes to check.

Also, put the memory module in the other slot, sometimes one of the slots doesn't work and then you'll hear the 5 beep code at boot. Maybe even try different modules if you have them. Here are all the possible codes to check.

View attachment 401567
Minor Update: I moved the RAM, CPU and AW-CE123H WiFi+BT over to the Optiplex AIO, and installed each one at a time. All work fine. Now it's wait for the replacement motherboard I ordered and we will see if I can save this little guy. mSATA arrived today. Sorry buddy, no machine to install you in at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back