Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @trs96,

I am running Catalina on HP 8300 MT with i5 3470 and Quadro k600 and want to upgrade to Big Sur. I have read that Quadro k600 will be compatible with Big Sur. So there are multiple options for me

1. I can do a fresh install of Big Sur using Clover/ UniBeast
2. Do a fresh install using the new Open Core BootLoader.
3. Can i also directly update to Big Sur (using the system update feature)?

What path should i take to upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur?

Thanks

What path should i take to upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur?
It's difficult to say which path is best for you as an individual. Whichever way you go, have a full bootable backup of Catalina, whether you make a clone or just use a fresh new SSD to install Big Sur. Don't forget that the older iMac 13,2 and 14,2 SMBIOS do not have support in Big Sur. Sniki and others have switched to Mac Pro 6,1 SMBIOS and some have used iMac 15,1 instead. (The original guide, post #1, back in 2017 used iMac 13,2)

I've switched most all of my pre-builts to OpenCore and have been happy with it. Took time to learn OC but it has been well worth it.

1. I can do a fresh install of Big Sur using Clover/ UniBeast
2. Do a fresh install using the new Open Core BootLoader.
3. Can i also directly update to Big Sur (using the system update feature)?

1. There is no Unibeast for Big Sur so you'd have to use createinstallmedia method to make an installer.
2. Yes, follow the Dortania guide for Ivy Bridge systems.
3. This won't work if using Clover 5123 or older. Requires a newer Clover version and updated kexts.

Last edited:
I've switched most all of my pre-builts to OpenCore and have been happy with it. Took time to learn OC but it has been well worth it.

1. There is no Unibeast for Big Sur so you'd have to use createinstallmedia method to make an installer.
2. Yes, follow the Dortania guide for Ivy Bridge systems.
3. This won't work if using Clover 5123 or older. Requires a newer Clover version and updated kexts.

Hi @trs96 ,

I am following the Dortania guide for Ivy bridge systems to install Big Sur on my HP 8300. I am setting my config.plist with Ivy Bridge configuration. However, there is a slight confusion.

under the Kernel settings for Ivy Bridge, it shows: 'LapicKernelPanic: False'

and suggests to Enable for HP systems. A little below under the Quirks heading, this is written

LapicKernelPanic NO HP Machines will require this quirk

So, i am not sure if i should set the value of 'LapicKernelPanic' to true or false. Got any insight into this ?

Thank

LapicKernelPanic NO HP Machines will require this quirk

So, i am not sure if i should set the value of 'LapicKernelPanic' to true or false.
I would leave it at false. It works fine on my 8300 USDT.

I am following the Dortania guide for Ivy bridge systems to install Big Sur on my HP 8300
Post any Big Sur and Open Core questions in the thread by Sniki. This thread is only for older macOS versions using Clover and not OC. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rm-factors-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch.279627/

The thread by Sniki is where most people that own HP 8300s and have switched to OpenCore ask and answer questions. More people will see your posts and be able to help out.

These are the only AMD RX560s that you can get anywhere close to the normal retail.

You could install Catalina, Big Sur or Monterey with one of these. Given that the SMBIOS used supports those.
I would go with Big Sur right now as Monterey is still in early stages of development.

Is it possible to upgrade from Mojave to Catalina with an 10.5 OS installer image? Do the kexts stay the same. Or is it better to do a clean install option and then install Catalina.

And also can you still use this setup guide for Catalina? Still the same steps and Kexts that have to be changed?

And also can you still use this setup guide for Catalina? Still the same steps and Kexts that have to be changed?
Best way to find out is to install Catalina to a new SSD with your existing EFI folder, your Mojave SSD should be removed from your 6300 first to avoid any confusion when installing. It would be better to use the Catalina version of Clover that comes with Unibeast but it's not mandatory. You could either use Unibeast for Catalina to make your installer or read Sniki's Catalina guide for the HP 6300/8300 to upgrade Clover manually.

Give it a try and report back how it goes.

Last edited:
Best way to find out is to install Catalina to a new SSD with your existing EFI folder, your Mojave SSD should be removed from your 6300 first to avoid any confusion when installing. It would be better to use the Catalina version of Clover that comes with Unibeast but it's not mandatory. You could either use Unibeast for Catalina to make your installer or read Sniki's Catalina guide for the HP 6300/8300 to upgrade Clover manually.

Give it a try and report back how it goes.
OK thank you.

I'll get a new SSD and Flash drive and follow the Sniki guide.

Will post back here if all goes well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back