Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was listed as 8300 MT, it says 8300 on the case twice
What country are you in ? HP may have done things differently in some countries. I think in this case it may be the HP 8300 SFF motherboard installed into the HP 6300 Pro MT case. So technically it is an 8300, just not in the HP 8300 MT case. You can also look in your BIOS under system informantion and see what it says there. Post a picture of it.

I know that in the USA, only the 6300 Pro motherboards were installed into the case you've got. All HP 8300 ATX size boards went into the larger Mini-Tower case.

Here's the 8300 MT case. It's much bigger and holds more hard drives and 5.25" drives.

Screen Shot 5.jpg

I'm in the UK. In case you missed it, I edited my post above with more info.

Isn't that image of the CMT?
MT = Microtower
CMT = Convertiable Minitower

What matters most now if I can make the RX570 or RX480 fit inside.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 23.52.51.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 23.52.51.png
    861.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I'm in the UK.
You got the right one then. In the USA only the 6300 Pro Motherboard goes into that smaller mATX size MT case. 8300 Elite boards go into the tower "CMT" case. You'll just have to live with the smaller amount of room you get in contrast to the 8300 CMT. At the US Ebay site every MT or MicroTower has the 6300 Pro board.

Last edited:
I'm in the UK.

Isn't that image of the CMT?
MT = Microtower
CMT = Convertiable Minitower

hp.co.uk/support identifies your serial number as HP Compaq Elite 8300 Microtower

Thanks everyone.

I would have got the CMT but they don't fit under my small desk space but the MT does just fit.

As long as a big graphics card will fit everything will be cool, any idea if it will?

Is the motherboard the same as the SFF, hope not as I wanted two quick SATA ports, but it's not the end of world if not?

@trs69 I'm currently struggling with installing Catalina over on the Catalina thread, are you able to assist, please?

Last edited:
Due to the space concerns in the MT case, I'm looking at ITX cards, will this card work with Catalina please?

the other option I'm considering is using a pcie riser cable and mounting a larger card (480 or 580) to the lower section of the case (isolated) and routing monitor cables out of the case via the empty slots. The main benefit is cost-saving from this method.

Last edited:
The RX570 itx arrived today, its a 6 pin connector and requires <150W. Its recommend I use a 500 Watt or greater power supply. I was thinking about running it on Pcie power for now, is this safe?

I also need a little help selecting a new power supply and adaptor cables.
Any recommendation welcome, thanks

It's recommend I use a 500 Watt or greater power supply. I was thinking about running it on Pcie power for now, is this safe?
It won't run without the 6 pin power connected. You could hook up 6 pin power adapter from the motherboard directly if you can't wait to use it. On a side note, I run a full size RX 570 (8 pin supplemental power) off a 400W PSU and it works fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back