Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some have resorted to importing a Yeston RX550 LP from China to use in place of the LP RX 560. I have not tested one and I'm not endorsing it if you can't risk buying from China. Returns would be difficult to say the least. Watch the video. A few people have said they work with macOS but haven't given full details on it. For it to work, get on that has 4GB of vram and 640 SP or Stream Processors. Ones with 512 SP will not work.

Is the RX550 well supported?

Is the RX550 well supported?
I've never had one to test. Just going by reports from others in the forums. I don't think the GPU is really a 550. It's more likely a 460 or 470 that has been re-branded to make it seem newer. The 460/470 are fully supported.

I've never had one to test. Just going by reports from others in the forums. I don't think the GPU is really a 550. It's more likely a 460 or 470 that has been re-branded to make it seem newer. The 460/470 are fully supported.
I guess i can give it a try, any one one to pitch in? :cool:

This is my theory as to why the Yeston RX550 4GB works for some people in their hackintosh.

From a specs analysis and comparison with the mobile GPU called the RX 550X it looks to be a slightly modified version of that chip placed into a low profile enclosure. That's why the power draw is so low and the cooling fan is only the size of one you'd find in a laptop like the Macbook Pro. Yeston has simply dropped the X and is calling it Polaris 11 instead of Polaris 12.

Screen_Shot_23.png
Screen Shot 23 copy 2.jpg

Screen_Shot_23_copy.png

Apple put the Radeon RX 555X into the 2018 MBP. They call it Polaris 21

The AMD Radeon Pro 555X is a mobile graphics card based on the small Polaris 21 chip from AMD. It is available in the 15-inch Apple MacBook Pro (Mid 2018 model with Coffee Lake) and is the performance is similar to the old Radeon Pro 455 / 555. The difference is the slightly higher clock rate of 907 MHz versus 855 MHz (+6%) and the bigger graphics memory (4 GB versus 2 GB GDDR5). The Polaris 21 chip is produced in a 14nm FinFET process and is the smaller Polaris chip. (from notebookcheck.net)

Last edited:
This is my second theory. It could possibly be the even older Radeon 450 GPU from 2016. I'm not sure how they added the extra 2GB of Vram but I suppose it's possible that AMD did to help move some older chips that didn't sell 4 years ago. They gave Yeston a really low price so that they can sell these "RX 550s" and make some profit from them.

Being a mxm module card, its power draw is rated at 35 W maximum. This device has no display connectivity, as it is not designed to have monitors connected to it. Rather it is intended for use in laptop/notebooks and will use the output of the host mobile device. Radeon Pro 450 is connected to the rest of the system using a PCI-Express 3.0 x8 interface.

Last edited:
When or if you do buy one. Would you remove the metal heatsink/shroud and the thermal paste. Look at the chip underneath and see if what's written on it shows the same data as this image does.

Screen Shot 23 copy 3.jpg

When or if you do buy one. Would you remove the metal heatsink/shroud and the thermal paste. Look at the chip underneath and see if what's written on it shows the same data as this image does.

View attachment 462193

I have found >this<. what do you think about it?

If anyone wants to try the Yeston RX 550 you must buy the 4GB version only. The 2GB variant will not work. The specs should look like this and have a Polaris GPU core, not Lexa. The key spec is the 640 Shaders sometimes called the Stream Processors. (SP)

1586867085606.png

Screen_Shot_24.png

Last edited:
If anyone wants to try the Yeston RX 550 you must buy the 4GB version only. The 2GB variant will not work. The specs should look like this and have a Polaris GPU core, not Lexa. The key spec is the 640 Shaders sometimes called the Stream Processors. (SP)

View attachment 462218

View attachment 462224
Now i just have to find one from a reputable source.. also it looks like this may be a down grade from my Gt1030? except this may be more compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back