Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your help. It is a bit more expensive than I want to spend.
Do you think I should look for a second hand? I am worried that they could be overclocked and pretty worn down.
Choices choices choices...

I know what you mean, buying second-hand is a bit of a gamble. GPUs that are supported in macOS but cost less needs more research. @trs96 can probably make better suggestions for your Dell than I can :thumbup:

Thanks for your help. It is a bit more expensive than I want to spend.
Do you think I should look for a second hand? I am worried that they could be overclocked and pretty worn down.
Choices choices choices...
An NVS 510 could work for you in the short term till you can get a newer AMD card. Requires a mini-DP to DP adapter.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016ZHGIPM/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Another Nvidia option would be a GT 740 kepler version which is still natively supported in Catalina.
Don't see any of those on Amazon UK but you could look at some other sites too. The GT 710 isn't worth spending 45 dollars on to use for video editing. It's mostly for those with unsupported HD 2500 graphics and those that want HDMI 2.0 output for a 4K TV. Merely an HTPC graphics card, not for gaming or editing video.

Last edited:
Is this the correct RX560 for a HP 8300 CMT? It will allow me to upgrade to Mojave or Catalina ? I hate to part with me GTX 1050 Ti. Will this card be similar or is there a better choice?

GIGABYTE Radeon RX 560 Newegg $99

I hate to part with me GTX 1050 Ti. Will this card be similar or is there a better choice?
This is a good choice. Fully supported in Mojave and Catalina. You can game with it in Windows too. Great price. Get one while they're still available.

Is this the correct RX560 for a HP 8300 CMT? It will allow me to upgrade to Mojave or Catalina ? I hate to part with me GTX 1050 Ti. Will this card be similar or is there a better choice?
I agree with trs96, for that price you can't go wrong!. I once owned a 1050 Ti and don't regret replacing it one bit. I got an MSI RX 560, there's a lot less tearing when gaming I think. The 1050 Ti would tear the screen a lot when moving large images across the screen, in game and design environments. I don't see that often with the RX560, it's generally kinder to the eyes.

Last edited:
Fyi. I bought a TP-Link Archer T9E and despite it's out of the box status it did not work OOTB. The card was recognised, but it showed only a few wifi networks and trying to connect to one failed after typing in the correct password.

After googling i found people have been having problems with it in a specific PCIe slot which in the case of my HP 8300 MT seems to be the x1 slot for which it is mainly designed. So i moved it to the x16 slot and now it's working without issues! You could also move it to the x4 slot, but i couldn't because the heat sink of my Asus 710-2-SL graphics card is blocking it.

As a side note, I had to put the gpu to the x4 slot because when it's in the x16 slot the heatsink blocks the x4, leaving the x1 as the only free and accessible slot in which the wifi card doesn't work properly. The gpu is an x16 card, but since i'm not doing anything graphic intensive it doesn't matter to me and it works just as before.

If by any chance anyone has any further info on this matter, shoot up. It would be of course optimal to be able to put it in the x1 slot!

sorry to rehash this again.. the rx560 low profiles are still too expensive, i was hoping the used market would drop, what is the next best thing, both performance and compatibility to the SFF 8300s?

sorry to rehash this again.. the rx560 low profiles are still too expensive, i was hoping the used market would drop, what is the next best thing, both performance and compatibility to the SFF 8300s?
Some have resorted to importing a Yeston RX550 LP from China to use in place of the LP RX 560. I have not tested one and I'm not endorsing it if you can't risk buying from China. Returns would be difficult to say the least. Watch the video. A few people have said they work with macOS but haven't given full details on it. For it to work, get one that has 4GB of vram and 640 SP or Stream Processors. Ones with 512 SP will not work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back