Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a lot of research I just upgraded to Mojave from a perfectly working Sierra install and i'm experiencing a horribly slow boot, like 10 minutes or so, with an SSD. Everything seems to run fine when i get to the desktop (except just noticed that sleep seems to do a shutdown :confused:). HP 8300 i5-3470 with GT710.

Did the upgrade like this:
1) Installing with latest Mojave Multibeast the following:
- AppleALC, FakeSMC, IntelMausiEthernet v2.4.0, 7/8/9 Series USB Support, Clover UEFI Boot Mode, Core Graphics Fixup AKA WhateverGreen
2) Click Install macOS Mojave

Installation process went fine, although after initial install and apfs conversion i was presented with two extra boot options:
- "Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot"
- "Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot"
I tried the second one after googling, but it stops straight up to:
"Error loading kernel cache"
After selecting "Boot macOS from Macintosh HD" the installation went through and i got to the desktop.

Booting up verbose, it first stops to this:
"Generation from SMC report as 2"

and then to these kextd stall messages:
kextd-stall.jpg

After this there are some messages that also take some time which can be seen in this (a bit blurry) full screen capture:
slow-boot-fullscreen.jpg

Any idea what could be the problem? Did i do something wrong or miss something? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached is also my EFI folder.

Attachments

• EFI_After_Mojave_Upgrade_NoSN.zip
    20.9 MB · Views: 52
After a lot of research I just upgraded to Mojave from a perfectly working Sierra install and i'm experiencing a horribly slow boot, like 10 minutes or so, with an SSD. Everything seems to run fine when i get to the desktop (except just noticed that sleep seems to do a shutdown :confused:). HP 8300 i5-3470 with GT710.

Did the upgrade like this:
1) Installing with latest Mojave Multibeast the following:
- AppleALC, FakeSMC, IntelMausiEthernet v2.4.0, 7/8/9 Series USB Support, Clover UEFI Boot Mode, Core Graphics Fixup AKA WhateverGreen
2) Click Install macOS Mojave

Installation process went fine, although after initial install and apfs conversion i was presented with two extra boot options:
- "Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot"
- "Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot"
I tried the second one after googling, but it stops straight up to:
"Error loading kernel cache"
After selecting "Boot macOS from Macintosh HD" the installation went through and i got to the desktop.

Booting up verbose, it first stops to this:
"Generation from SMC report as 2"

and then to these kextd stall messages:
View attachment 444999

After this there are some messages that also take some time which can be seen in this (a bit blurry) full screen capture:
View attachment 445005

Any idea what could be the problem? Did i do something wrong or miss something? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached is also my EFI folder.
do a search for the last line in your image, it has been asked so many times

also probably best to use hackintool to easily update to newer kexts

After a lot of research I just upgraded to Mojave from a perfectly working Sierra install and i'm experiencing a horribly slow boot, like 10 minutes or so, with an SSD
I had that same combo of a 3470 with GT 710 and experienced a similar problem, painfully slow boot times. It didn't seem to occur for those who were using an i7-3770 and HD4000 graphics for some reason. I have since sold the HP 8300. If you want a Mojave guide to follow for your hardware try the one by Sniki. It's a completely different approach to using Unibeast and Mulitbeast for the install but everything will work more smoothly and quickly for you. Note that guide requires a clean install. Test it out on a spare SSD first.

do a search for the last line in your image, it has been asked so many times

also probably best to use hackintool to easily update to newer kexts

I had that same combo of a 3470 with GT 710 and experienced a similar problem, painfully slow boot times. It didn't seem to occur for those who were using an i7-3770 and HD4000 graphics for some reason. I have since sold the HP 8300. If you want a Mojave guide to follow for your hardware try the one by Sniki. It's a completely different approach to using Unibeast and Mulitbeast for the install but everything will work more smoothly and quickly for you. Note that guide requires a clean install. Test it out on a spare SSD first.

Thanks for the tips. After some digging and narrowing down the reason was a pretty ridiculous one. AppleALC.kext. Now it boots as fast as an ssd should. All i did really was reset nvram, rebuild kextcache and after that the boot just hanged totally, but the stall reasons reduced. Then tried booting the system with a mojave usb installer and saw the only stall was IOHDACodecFunction i think. So i tried disabling audio from bios and voila, normal boot. Then removed AppleALC.kext, rebuilt kextcache, re-enabled audio and now boots normally.

But there seems to be more problems, since the graphics are a bit grainy and sleep still does a shutdown. Any ideas what could be the problem? Otherwise i guess i'll have to do that clean install even though that means a ridiculous amount of downloading, installing and configuring on two similar music hacks that i just did a while a go. That was what i really wanted to avoid.

UPDATE: @trs96 just to let you know i was able to fix the slow boot and get the audio working! Details here. @Sniki might be interested as well since you were trying to get this fixed with trs in your 8300 guide.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. After some digging and narrowing down the reason was a pretty ridiculous one. AppleALC.kext. Now it boots as fast as an ssd should. All i did really was reset nvram, rebuild kextcache and after that the boot just hanged totally, but the stall reasons reduced. Then tried booting the system with a mojave usb installer and saw the only stall was IOHDACodecFunction i think. So i tried disabling audio from bios and voila, normal boot. Then removed AppleALC.kext, rebuilt kextcache, re-enabled audio and now boots normally.

But there seems to be more problems, since the graphics are a bit grainy and sleep still does a shutdown. Any ideas what could be the problem? Otherwise i guess i'll have to do that clean install even though that means a ridiculous amount of downloading, installing and configuring on two similar music hacks that i just did a while a go. That was what i really wanted to avoid.
hd3000 is not really supported in Mojave

That was what i really wanted to avoid.
I installed Mojave on HP8100CMT, but had to upgrade from Sierra to HighSierra and then upgrade to Mojeve.

Add the following to "Config.plist" to prevent the Clover Menu from displaying extra disks.

Edit:
Just added the "Preboot" string to Gui-> Hide Volume.

To enable AppleALC
Check ACPI-> Fixea-> FixHPET
Set Decives-> Audio-> Inject = 11

I think that it is more than the modification from the original "Config.plist" of @trs96.

ADD:
Are you using a partitioned disk?
I do not know how to partition and use with APFS.

Last edited:
Well, i was already settled on the thought i'd have to reinstall everything from scratch and was following @Sniki 's Mojave guide up until the sleepimage part, so i did all of those and that fixed the sleep problem completely!

So it seems like the upgrade from Sierra to Mojave is successful now after all, everything is running fast and normal!

With one exception though - grainy fonts :-X. But from what i was able to gather, it seems to be a macOS Mojave/Catalina problem with non-retina and low resolution displays (apparently full hd is that nowadays). It has to do with subpixel antialiasing and font smoothing. Enabling those helps a bit, but still text is pretty nasty and wearing to the eye. Some people apparently have downgraded to HS because of this :eek:.
My question is what screens/resolutions are you using if you're not experiencing this problem? And of course if anyone has a better solution or any ideas regarding this?

Thanks @Asural for your input, i'll look into the audio thing if i need to - i'm using an usb audio interface mainly so i don't really need integrated audio, but probably will look into it at some point to have something to fall back on if need be. Will also definitely hide the preboot options if/when they start to bother me :). I'm not especially using a partitioned disk (other than the partitioning done by osx).

UPDATE: Audio is working and boot is normal. Adding ACPI/Fixes/FixHPET=YES was the solution. It fixes the slow boot with the message kextd stall IOHDACodecFunction. More detailed explanation here. Thanks for the tip! Mojave upgrade from Sierra is now perfect with everything working on HP 8300 (i5-3470 / GT 710). I've only used it for a little bit so far though, so fingers crossed that nothing comes up anymore :).

Last edited:
Thanks @Asural for your input, i'll look into the audio thing if i need to - i'm using an usb audio interface mainly so i don't really need integrated audio, but probably will look into it at some point to have something to fall back on if need be. Will also definitely hide the preboot options if/when they start to bother me :). I'm not especially using a partitioned disk (other than the partitioning done by osx).

I often do not know unless I look further, I can not answer the following questions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back