Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd need to select Windows 7 64 bit as your OS to find all the older versions from 2012. windows 8 came out sometime in mid-2012.

That makes sense!, I've been selecting Windows 8 (64bit) which I guess is why I haven't been seeing the earlier versions. Odd that they don't show Windows 10 as an option. The new board is expected Friday, I got one from the link you provided.

Odd that they don't show Windows 10 as an option
These were three year lease machines for the corporate world and medical industries. Purchased in early 2012. If all of those companies were sending them back to HP and buying new Windows 10 desktops in 2015/16 it wouldn't make sense to spend time and money on Win10 BIOS updates for the 8300s or 6300s. The Windows 8 versions work perfectly well with Windows 10.

When I owned an 8300 I went straight to 2.99 from an older version. Believe it was 2.05. Don't see why that wouldn't still work today. If HP pulled 2.54 and 2.90 from their downloads there was likely a good reason they did. I wouldn't try to flash them.
Thanks for the response, my BIOS file seems to be my misunderstanding.
I don't think you need help from people who don't read # 464.

But the updates start at 2.98, there are no earlier updates to use. And I'm not sure I want to use a BIOS update that isn't listed on the HP support site!.
The story goes on while preparing the response and I can't keep up.
I'm going to sleep, hoping to find some clues about BIOS Update.

The new board is expected Friday, I got one from the link you provided.
Here's the simplified version. Flash the BIOS (anything older than 2.99) up to 2.99 and stop there or at 3.04 if you don't want any of the Intel vulnerablilty fixes that HP added in 2018 and 2019. If you want those go from 2.99 to 3.08 and you're current with all the latest Intel patches and fully secure (at least as much as you can be).

In my testing I didn't find that 3.08 had any effect of slowing down CPU performance. I think those fixes mainly affect large servers that are Intel based. Large hosting services like AWS from Amazon.

Last edited:
Wow, I haven’t looked for BIOS updates for yonks, I had no idea there were 2019 releases lol

Wow, I haven’t looked for BIOS updates for yonks, I had no idea there were 2019 releases lol
They supposedly help patch all the recently discovered Intel CPU exploits that aren't really even a thing yet. None have been discovered "in the wild." Don't think the latest Bios versions will do much else to make your HP 6300 Pro run more smoothly. Not a bad idea to flash them anyway.

When I read # 464, 3.04 was the latest, but when I started HP Saport Assistant on Window 10,
it was forcibly updated to 3.08.
If you can install or update directly, you don't need to update to 3.08.

So what is the current BIOS version?

Last edited:
That makes sense!, I've been selecting Windows 8 (64bit) which I guess is why I haven't been seeing the earlier versions. Odd that they don't show Windows 10 as an option. The new board is expected Friday, I got one from the link you provided.
The method of displaying the BIOS is independent of the version and should be usable as defined in the HP specification.
The story is "So why can't I display it?" are let's think after the package arrives.

this is a bit off topic but to those to have Catalina installed on HP8300 core i7 3770 like myself and wanting to update to latest 10.15.2 as posted in tonymacx86's homepage
the answer is yes, i updated my HP8300 from 10.15.1 to 10.15.2 without issues all i did was update my kexts and clover to 5100 as described in the update post and done

Note: at first when you boot to the install macos it will seam like its stuck on the logo, leave it as is and wait for it to go its job and after 20 to 30 min your done :)

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 2.12.25 AM.png

oh and in case if anyone is wondering if 4K will work in the GT-710 Graphic card the picture below says it all :)

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 2.12.58 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back