Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it will be better what it is in my mind more clearly:
I need a new computer for my work to edit videos mainly. It will be either a 6300/8300, i7 CPU with 16GB ram and AMD 4/8 GB card and 500GB SSD or a new iMac. It will cost around £400-500 w/o a monitor and peripherals. Good quality 27" 4K monitor will cost me another £400-500. In total I will pay nearly £1000 for roughly 7 years old machine. I can do some cost cutting like getting i5 instead of i7 and a £200-300 monitor with 4 GB GPU. Perhaps it will cost £600-700 .My question whether it will be a wise investment. On the other hand I can get a 27 inch i5 iMac with 256 SSD for £1650 and it will work perfectly at least next 5-7 years. When monitors have been taking into consideration, Hackintosh is not that cheap. Besides my 6300 is a piece of cake to Hackintosh thanks to @trs96 's perfect guide, but I dont know how it will be if I try a more complex Hackintosh.

For what it's worth I have a 8300 SFF with i7, 16GB RAM and a 1050ti that I use almost exclusively for professional video editing and light effects work. Haven't had a single issue with it other than low download speeds on account of a cheap wifi adaptor.

Few caveats though: I work in Avid, Premiere, AfterEffects and C4D, so couldn't tell you about FCP (never used it, don't really know anyone in the professional world who does). I also only have HD monitors as my work usually goes to a color house, so color accuracy and high resolution really isn't an issue for me.

Also right now I'm stuck on High Sierra, but thinking of buying a RX 560--does anyone have any experience editing with one of these? Thanks.

My pcie x1 slots do not work at all the pcie x16 and pci ports work fine but not the pcie x1 port

Hi there ! Thanks for the guide.

What are my options if I want a working and fast wifi in my HP 8300 Elite SFF ? Is there any other choice than a cheap usb dongle with low speeds or a Apple native card about 100 bucks ?

Hi there ! Thanks for the guide.

What are my options if I want a working and fast wifi in my HP 8300 Elite SFF ? Is there any other choice than a cheap usb dongle with low speeds or a Apple native card about 100 bucks ?

Ok tomorrow my Radeon RX 560 4GB arrives to replace my GTX 1050 Ti
1. Clean install Mojave: For more experienced hackintosh owners or those that want even better performance and compatibility, I'm recommending that you use Sniki's UEFI hot patching guide for the HP 6300/8300. What is "hot patching" and why use it ? It's a techinique where Clover patches the ACPI tables/DSDT on the fly. Instead of staticly patching the DSDT as we used to do, it's all done via SSDT or "secondary system description table" files. It's much more flexible than a staticly patched DSDT. Make one BIOS change and you'd need to re-patch your DSDT. Not good.

He has a fine tuned USB SSDT, audio SSDT and custom config.plist you can use. This means you'll get better USB performance and external devices will charge faster via USB etc. etc. That guide is in a rewrite for the latest Mojave version right now and should be posted in a couple of days so wait for that if you want to install 10.14.5 from scratch. Since the HP 8300 is his "daily driver" you can be certain everything will work optimally. A clean install is mandatory to use Sniki's guide. It won't work well if you try and just take bits an pieces from it ( a single SSDT or two) and use them with an install done with the older guide that I wrote.

If you have a spare SSD or HDD available try a clean install of Mojave with the 560 installed. Use the above mentioned guide, then you don't have to do all the "house cleaning" and kext updating due to the switch from Nvidia to AMD graphics. It also saves you the time and hassle of cloning your HS install before upgrading to Mojave. Those are the main advantages of a clean install. I'll post a link to his new UEFI hot patch guide when it's completed. As a small preview of how detailed that guide is, here are all the SSDTs that are provided to "hot patch" the ACPI issues to make the 8300 behave more like a real Mac and make future updates go smoothly.

It is all worked out for you. All that is required is that you drag the SSDT.aml into the ACPI/patched folder on the EFI partition. Amazingly simple compared to the extreme level of difficulty it would be to figure this all out on your own.

2. Using the conventional Unibeast/Multibeast methods to move to Mojave

If you want to do an in place upgrade it saves some time in that you don't have to re-install programs and move data over later. If you choose this then clone your High Sierra system drive first and test that it's bootable on it's own. With either approach you'll need the Clover UEFI 4920 edition provided by Multibeast for Mojave. That is easy enough to accomplish and works fine for Mojave.

How to do the in place upgrade: Create a Mojave UEFI USB installer per the tonymac guide. Boot from that and install Mojave as you would a clean install. Only difference is that you don't format your HDD as per the standard guide. It then writes the new Mojave files over High Sierra. Keep booting from your Mojave USB until you uninstall the Nvidia drivers and have run Multibeast post install.

The original Sierra Guide didn't use Lilu and Whatevergreen because most everyone was using Nvidia dedicated graphics back then and those kexts were not widely used or required in June 2017. So when you run Multibeast for Mojave you'll want to select AppleALC for audio and Core Graphics Fixup/WEG for graphics support. Those selections will automatically install the Lilu kext as well. Other than that not much is different for Mojave. It's a good idea to run kext utility app after you've run Multibeast to repair permissions and rebuild caches.

The one other thing you'll need is the correct audio layout ID for audio to work. It should be layout id 11. Here's how it should look in CC, Devices/Properties section of the config.plist. Once everything works with your Mojave install you can simply keep using that drive. Save your HS clone as a backup.

Last edited:
I'll just add something that is kind of strange.

I installed a second SSD with Windows 10 on it, using a tonymac guide. Weirdly, I checked my BIOS settings, and they were back to default (port A enabled, legacy supported, etc.)

But (1) everything works fine and (2) if I change it back to values asked by this guide, my computer wont boot (nothing on screen) and i'm forced to unplug everything, toss away the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS and get it to work again !

To put it short, I (seemingly) have a perfectly functional HP 8300 Elite SFF double booting with (1) MacOS installed on the first SATA SSD a while ago with this guide (2) Windows 10 on a second SATA SSD. All working out of the box with default bios values. I didn't even have to do these kind of work to make clover selected by default : not having to get in bios to do anything with boot sequence, my system naturally selects clover, making me able to chose between systems.

I (seemingly) have a perfectly functional HP 8300 Elite SFF double booting with (1) MacOS installed on the first SATA SSD a while ago with this guide (2) Windows 10 on a second SATA SSD.
When you installed windows did you have the macOS drive connected to sata power and sata data ?
If you followed this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/make-a-windows-10-uefi-usb-installer.228959/#post-1557619 Windows should be installed UEFI and you then wouldn't need legacy support enabled to boot it. This is why I prefer to not have Windows and macOS booting on the same machine. Things can become a colossal mess very quickly.

Last edited:
When you installed windows did you have the macOS drive connected to sata power and sata data ?
If you followed this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/make-a-windows-10-uefi-usb-installer.228959/#post-1557619 Windows should be installed UEFI and you then wouldn't need legacy support enabled to boot it. This is why I prefer to not have Windows and macOS booting on the same machine. Things can become a colossal mess very quickly.
Actually, yes, I didn't unplug the first SSD in the same time. Is it an issue ?

I might reinstall windows from scratch to make sure i wont have troubles if you think it can be. Haven't used windows yet but will become part of my work computer to use windows only softs.

I didn't unplug the first SSD in the same time. Is it an issue ?
Windows will overwrite the EFI partition it sees on the macOS system drive when you are installing Windows. You always want to disconnect your macOS SSD when installing Windows. See the Multibooting forum for more on this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back