Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
@trs96 am I right in thinking that if the PSU is upgraded in the CMT then a RX570 or RX580 would be suitable? For FCPX and for 4K monitors?

@trs96 am I right in thinking that if the PSU is upgraded in the CMT then a RX570 or RX580 would be suitable? For FCPX and for 4K monitors?
Depends on the quality of the 24 pin to 6 pin power adapter you get. I don't really trust most of them due to quality concerns. If you want to try it get one specific to the HP 8300 from www.moddiy.com

Depends on the quality of the 24 pin to 6 pin power adapter you get. I don't really trust most of them due to quality concerns. If you want to try it get one specific to the HP 8300 from www.moddiy.com
What is the issue re the quality of the adaptor? If running a decent PSU it will be connecting to the graphics card directly (6 or 8 pin connector to graphics card) rather than via the adaptor.

What is the issue re the quality of the adaptor? If running a decent PSU it will be connecting to the graphics card directly (6 or 8 pin connector to graphics card) rather than via the adaptor.
Look on your motherboard. It doesn't have the standard "24pin power" like a normal motherboard. HP used proprietary 6 pin connectors on the board. You have to adapt the 24 pin power cable from a new PSU to the 6 pin on the board with a special adapter. Most of the adapters out of China are very low quality many don't even work at all.

Here's the only one I would get if attempting this.

1559085921576.png

Last edited:
Look on your motherboard. It doesn't have the standard "24pin power" like a normal motherboard. HP used proprietary 6 pin connectors on the board. You have to adapt 24 pin power to 6 with a special adapter. Most of the adapters out of China are very low quality many don't even work at all.

Here's the only one I would get if attempting this.
I'm aware of the annoyances of the PSU and am running a non HP PSU with an adaptor out of China that is working fine after a modification to the pins (as outlined here). The pins that were modified refer to the switching mechanism not large voltages. The main power is carried over the two other connectors to motherboard which did not require modification. One of those goes through the Chinese adaptor, but the other is stock from the PSU.

What are the issues you have with your GT710?

It works well but I have started to edit videos with Final CPX and it is not really fluid even if I use proxies. Other than that I am happy with it.

Mojave has limited card support, and the future is looking like AMD will be the focus. The GT710 is basic, but supported and low profile.

If you want more power, you’ll need to either stick to High Sierra max and have nvidia, or try and find low profile amd cards. Low profile amd cards are rare in Australia.

I think this is possibly what I will do.

Depends on what you will be doing. If you want to power dual or triple 4K monitors get an NVS 510. Gives you 4K @ 60Hz. The GT 710 is limited to 30Hz. If you want to game, neither of those older Kepler cards are very good for that. You'd need either a GTX 1050 Ti LP or an RX560 LP card. Of course, the 1050 Ti won't work in Mojave. The RX560 has the better support because Apple has completely sided with AMD since about 2014. The AMD cards have the better drivers / optimization in macOS. I would estimate that by 2021 or 22 Apple will remove all Nvidia support in macOS. We'll have to see what they announce at WWDC and whether the next MP supports Nvidia cards or not.

Video editing.

I think it will be better what it is in my mind more clearly:
I need a new computer for my work to edit videos mainly. It will be either a 6300/8300, i7 CPU with 16GB ram and AMD 4/8 GB card and 500GB SSD or a new iMac. It will cost around £400-500 w/o a monitor and peripherals. Good quality 27" 4K monitor will cost me another £400-500. In total I will pay nearly £1000 for roughly 7 years old machine. I can do some cost cutting like getting i5 instead of i7 and a £200-300 monitor with 4 GB GPU. Perhaps it will cost £600-700 .My question whether it will be a wise investment. On the other hand I can get a 27 inch i5 iMac with 256 SSD for £1650 and it will work perfectly at least next 5-7 years. When monitors have been taking into consideration, Hackintosh is not that cheap. Besides my 6300 is a piece of cake to Hackintosh thanks to @trs96 's perfect guide, but I dont know how it will be if I try a more complex Hackintosh.

It works well but I have started to edit videos with Final CPX and it is not really fluid even if I use proxies. Other than that I am happy with it.

I think this is possibly what I will do.

Video editing.

I think it will be better what it is in my mind more clearly:
I need a new computer for my work to edit videos mainly. It will be either a 6300/8300, i7 CPU with 16GB ram and AMD 4/8 GB card and 500GB SSD or a new iMac. It will cost around £400-500 w/o a monitor and peripherals. Good quality 27" 4K monitor will cost me another £400-500. In total I will pay nearly £1000 for roughly 7 years old machine. I can do some cost cutting like getting i5 instead of i7 and a £200-300 monitor with 4 GB GPU. Perhaps it will cost £600-700 .My question whether it will be a wise investment. On the other hand I can get a 27 inch i5 iMac with 256 SSD for £1650 and it will work perfectly at least next 5-7 years. When monitors have been taking into consideration, Hackintosh is not that cheap. Besides my 6300 is a piece of cake to Hackintosh thanks to @trs96 's perfect guide, but I dont know how it will be if I try a more complex Hackintosh.
You could try the Optiplex 7020 or 9020 MT with i7-4790 not the SFF that I got. That is going to cost much less than a 1650 Euro iMac and even includes a 4K LG monitor. I used US prices in my comparison so you'd have to do your own cost comparison. A larger card like the RX580 fits quite well in one of these Mini-Towers.

I replaced my HP EX920 256GB, with a HP EX900 250GB, which was on sale at Newegg for $33.99. After successfully installing Mojave on the EX900 via an adapter, I ran Blackmagic speed test and received a pleasant surprise. It's read speeds are about 300MB/s faster than the EX920. You can compare the results via this post.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see if one of these HP drives would do about 3GB/s reads in the PCIe 3.0 x16 slot.
These are selling for an amazingly low 50 USD right now at Newegg. 256 GB size too.
View attachment 400467
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820326777

Hi trs96, I just want to add to the growing knowledge about NVMe on an Ivy Bridge board. You can compare the differences between an EX920 and the slightly older EX900, in this post which I added to Deals of the day!.
I owned the HP 256GB EX920 M.2 for almost two months before it burnt out!. When looking for a replacement on Newegg, I noted that some reviewers had pointed out short life, high operating temperatures and a possible faulty heat sensor. Mine was operating at 58 degrees Celsius, which I guess is quite high for an NVMe drive. I also saw that the 250GB EX900 M.2 was $13 cheaper so I picked that as my replacement, and is still on sale at Amazon for $33.99, although with a 1-2 month wait!. I successfully installed Mojave yesterday and so far all is good, operates at a much cooler 41 degrees Celsius. And its also quite a bit faster in the read department than the EX920.
Another thing I have just noticed is the difference in 'Link Speed' in the system report. The EX920 is 5GT/s and the EX900 is 8GT/s!. Did someone get the stickers mixed up or something?. These results come from using the same $2 adapter from China, in the X16 slot.

Last edited:
Another thing I have just noticed is the difference in 'Link Speed' in the system report. The EX920 is 5GT/s and the EX900 is 8GT/s!. Did someone get the stickers mixed up or something?
Yes, I thought the 920 was newer and also a better performer but that just isn't the case. The EX900 250GB is selling for $34 right now at Amazon. Many 250GB Sata SSDs cost more than that. It says there is a wait of 1-2 months to get it for some reason. Might be worth it at that price. Keep reporting on how it does longer term.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B319VG2/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back