Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one reason I don't suggest replacing those. The 24 to 6 pin adapters are also questionable in my opinion. Many of them are low quality products and can even damage your system when used with a replacement PSU. If anyone wants a higher wattage PSU I usually say, build a new custom PC or get the Optiplex 7010/9010 MT instead.
I did consider this. If I recall their are differences with fan pinouts which makes it harder to run quiet fans. Do you know do they run a standard cooler / can you upgrade the cooler easily?
Also what is the difference between the 7010 and the 9010?

Do you know do they run a standard cooler / can you upgrade the cooler easily?
There is a Thermaltake model that fits perfectly. The problem is that the fan is 4 pin PWM and the Dell CPU fan header is 5 pin. The adapters don't really enable PWM control. So it is quieter but fan speed stays constantly high. Not certain at exactly what RPM though. Probably close to 2,000 RPM is my guess. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermaltake-CLP0556-B-CPU-Fan-for-Intel-Core-i7-i5-i3/191605523339 Someone with some technical skill could figure out the wiring to make it work. I don't own the MT version so I just use the stock Dell fans in my USFF and SFF.
Also what is the difference between the 7010 and the 9010?
None other than that the 9010s have a raid option in their BIOS that the 7010's don't.

Last edited:
@trs96, once again your dedication and knowledge of the Hackintosh project is amazing and appreciated

The LG ultrawide in question doesn't have DP input only HDMI inputs.
Thank you for your responses, it's good to know that you have yours working. As the image I get is repeating (and unclear) I'm assuming it may be a timing issue, so will try the suggestions I've found elsewhere and report back. Sorry for the lack of clarity on the description of what I'm seeing, I'll try taking a screen shot today when I'm back at my client's location - not sure it will capture it but I'll give it a go. Cheers all!!

My i7 HP 8300 SFF is up and running now. Works great so far with Mojave 10.14.4.

Didnt attempt to get iMessage and FaceTime working yet. Also didn't test any sound outputs because I use a Sonos One as a speaker. Airplay to the Sonos (airpaly2 support) works perfectly.

So far my HD4000 runs my 1440p display great without any lag on animations so far.

Specs:

i7 3770 (Geekbench 4: 4000 Single core, 14000 multi core)
iGPU: HD4000
16GB RAM 4x4GB Hynix HMT351U6CFR8C-PB-N0-AA
500 GB Crucial MX500

Still waiting for a new PSU from Ebay the current one makes some weird noise. (Could be a simple fan replacement but I don't mess with PSU's)

Thank you for a great guide TRS96! By the way I think the reason my USB drive didn't show up in the Boot Menu was because I didn't choose guid partition when I created the drive. In Mojave you have to remember to select "Show all drives" in disk utility or you will miss the option to select correctly and get the guid partition option.

For some reason iMessage works without any configuration? Is that normal?
No, that's a stroke of good luck. You are living a charmed life. Even so I would still create new serials and test them against Apple's data base of registered Macs so there is no conflict.

In Mojave you have to remember to select "Show all drives" in disk utility or you will miss the option to select correctly and get the guid partition option.
This is correct. I added that part to my Dell Guide but have yet to update this one. On my todo list.

When I check my serial I get the message that are stated Wrong in the guide like shown here. Should I worry about this if I don't use iMessage on my CustoMac?

Screenshot from the guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back