Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Setting up the USB now. UniBeast is about a slow as the last time I tried it (which ended up failing spectacularly because my 3,1 mini has a badly failing motherboard and randomly loses USB connection). My 7,2 Air is much newer and has 100% better ports.

Can't actually do the install until I get paid and can get a DisplayPort to VGA adapter, though.

Hi all,

My HP6300 (20G RAM) with GT 710 works great with High Sierra, even took the latest updates.
My GT 710 works with 2 monitors and no web driver and sound also great.

SOOOOO....should I try to Update to Mojave? Want to know if anyone have done this. Will my GT 710 still work well? I heard Nvidia not supported, so not sure.

Thanks!

Hi all,

My HP6300 (20G RAM) with GT 710 works great with High Sierra, even took the latest updates.
My GT 710 works with 2 monitors and no web driver and sound also great.

SOOOOO....should I try to Update to Mojave? Want to know if anyone have done this. Will my GT 710 still work well? I heard Nvidia not supported, so not sure.

Thanks!
It will work as the GT 710 is Kepler based and not Pascal. All of the Pascal cards need to have web drivers to work.

GIGABYTE Radeon RX 560 4GB
This is the lowest cost, OOB compatible new AMD card you can buy.
After Rebate it's just $105 - rebate offer is good till the end of this month 2/28/19
See it at Newegg
Note: It will only fit in the HP 6300 Pro MT or the HP Elite 8300 MT as it is a full height card.
Needs no 6 pin supplemental power so your existing 320W HP PSU can easily power this card.

Last edited:
It will work as the GT 710 is Kepler based and not Pascal. All of the Pascal cards need to have web drivers to work.

Great, thanks! I'll make my usual bootable clone backup.

Should I simply go ahead and update from Apple? Any gotchas?

Thanks!

OK, I thought it was enough and decided to swap my 1030 with children's GT710 and update Mojave. Swap went fine, needed to change metal profile bits and rest was OK. Booted nicely HS. Updated Clover and replaced FakeSMC with the latest one. Downloaded Mojave from AppStore and attempted to update.And the **** hit the fan! New Clover visual appeared, chose the right drive and I got a black screen, tried other drives and no luck it was the same (except Win10 which was booting fine) I googled and found the following guide and followed.Bingo, Clover went back to normal.Apparently, during the update Clover lost an essential filed and it needed to be replaced on "Clover Shell". Honestly it looks complicated but not. I have realised the name of the missing file on my case was a character different (OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi / OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi ) once my first attempted failed, I checked the name of the file carefully and realised the error I made, did same thing again but used the correct name.
I am just wondering? Is there any other way to solve it? I mean using bootable USB stick or something else. I just want to learn a bit more.
I wanted to share my experience with you guys and gals.

PS Mojave works just fine

Starting the install process. Startup off a USB is every bit as painful as startup off a CD-ROM back in the days of OS 8 and 9 (yeah, I'm one of those old fogies), but everything seems to be working. I got the driver for the USB wifi dongle (a Belkin N300) and everything.

Edit: Hit a bit of a snag. Was installing High Sierra, and everything went smooth until the restart after MultiBeast. It seems to start up normally, then after I get pointer control I get swapped back and forth endlessly between two different versions of the splash screen, with a ton of graphics glitches. Going to try Sierra instead, see if that helps.

Using intel graphics.

Last edited:
I got the driver for the USB wifi dongle (a Belkin N300) and everything.
It's best to use Ethernet to connect to the internet first as you'll need ethernet set to (en0 builtin) for Mac app store access. Also don't sign in to iCloud before you've completed the iMesssage guide.

It's best to use Ethernet to connect to the internet first as you'll need ethernet set to (en0 builtin) for Mac app store access. Also don't sign in to iCloud before you've completed the iMesssage guide.
Is there another way to do it without disassembling everything and setting it up on the other side of the house, or having to run out and buy fifty feet of Cat 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back