Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Finished installing High Sierra using this impressive and easy to follow Guide on my
HP6300 i5-3470 6GB RAM GT720 (BIOS V2.99)
Everything is working so far, except my Firewire Card PCI....

LINK: Startech FireWire Card 1394 PCI

I tried to install a Firewire PCI Card into the only available standard PCI Slot on the board.
And nothing happens, looked in About this MAC "System Report" PCI and Firewire section and both says This computer doesn't contain any PCI and so on..

I booted a Windows10 disk and it works perfectly on this machine, it is recognized by the system and even installed the sound card which is attached, with no problem at all.

I even tried to swap this card with the a different one I have working on my other hackintosh /Gigabyte z77/ and same result, doesnt recognize the other card as well.

I have no idea what to do, im really lost here.

Need badly some help ...
anyone?

I tried to install a Firewire PCI Card into the only available standard PCI Slot on the board.
And nothing happens, looked in About this MAC "System Report" PCI and Firewire section and both says This computer doesn't contain any PCI and so on..

Probably the software doesn't have support for pci cards; even Mac pros of 2006 only supported pci-e cards. You may have to find a way of manually installing that support. People with more know-how will help you, or you may search about it: installing pci card. I am curious too ;)

Hi everyone,

Finished installing High Sierra using this impressive and easy to follow Guide on my
HP6300 i5-3470 6GB RAM GT720 (BIOS V2.99)
Everything is working so far, except my Firewire Card PCI....

LINK: Startech FireWire Card 1394 PCI

I booted a Windows10 disk and it works perfectly on this machine, it is recognized by the system and even installed the sound card which is attached, with no problem at all.

I even tried to swap this card with the a different one I have working on my other hackintosh /Gigabyte z77/ and same result, doesnt recognize the other card as well.

I have no idea what to do, im really lost here.

Need badly some help ...
anyone?
If I remember @pastrychef got his PCI slot working on his HP 8300. Possibly he could instruct you how.

If you follow this DSDT patching guide it should help you get the PCI slot to work. It may require a few more steps.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ro-8300-elite-desktop-pc.243272/#post-1671720
Follow the original ALC221 DSDT patching video. Not he ALC221 SSDT guide for audio. That will not enable PCI slots.

Last edited:
If I remember @pastrychef got his PCI slot working on his HP 8300. Possibly he could instruct you how.

If you follow this DSDT patching guide it should help you get the PCI slot to work. It may require a few more steps.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ro-8300-elite-desktop-pc.243272/#post-1671720
Follow the original ALC221 DSDT patching video. Not he ALC221 SSDT guide for audio. That will not enable PCI slots.

Yes, making the DSDT will enable the PCI slot.

Hey guys thanks a lot for your help and support.

But this DSDT stuff is a bit above my knowledge.
I read and tried to replicate some of the stuff I have seenhere in the forum, but im unable to compile the DSDT.aml
I managed surprisingly to "fix" almost 4 errors using google searches and here in the Forum, But there are a few remaining errors that is like Martian to me.

I attached my origin DSDT.aml file in case someone with more knowledge can help me a step further.

What really bboggles my mind is that I have to "make the pc aware" that is has a PCI slot and should use it???

anyway, hope someone can make some sense and help me to finally see my Firewire Card

Attachments

• DSDT.aml.zip
    15.2 KB · Views: 59
Quick note.

I tried installing some PCIe cards on the other slots and also not recognized.
So the only one recognized is where the Graphic card sits, all the others pci slots are nonexistent to the OS

What really boggles my mind is that I have to "make the pc aware" that is has a PCI slot and should use it ???

The reason the HP DSDT is not a perfect fit, and shouldn't be expected to be, is that these PCs are designed for Windows or Linux only not macOS. Apple uses just a limited set of hardware in something like an iMac which has zero PCI slots onboard. It shouldn't be surprising that DSDT patching is required. You should be checking your IOREG when installing anything in a PCI or PCIe slot to determine if it is recognized or not. You should not be having a problem with PCIe slots showing up even without a patched DSDT. The PCI slot yes, but not the PCIe slots.

Save an IOREG and attach it as zip here.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-make-a-copy-of-ioreg.58368/

I used 2 different programs IOjones and Ioregexplorarer, attached both saved results.

Thanks for helping me out!

Attachments

• Ioregs.zip
    596.2 KB · Views: 56
I used 2 different programs IOjones and Ioregexplorarer, attached both saved results.
There are multiple problems you need to address as shown in the IOREG.

- Lack of USB Implementation
- Lack of LPC
- Lack of SMBUS
- Lack of correct Windows Emulation
- SATA controller not supported / correctly renamed.
- Lack of EC

Firewire is detected on IOREG though but it might have failed to load/work. It could also be an unsupported FireWire card on macOS. I don't even know which brand and model you have.

What I would suggest, if you do want to use the PCI slot for your firewire card, is to start with a clean install of High Sierra or Mojave and use the Mojave guide (works with High Sierra too) that Sniki has posted in Mojave Desktop Support. That way there will be no DSDT patching necessary. It's all done through UEFI hot patching method instead. He has created all of the SSDTs needed so that is already done for you.

Thanks again for your help:

Just a quick one:

There are multiple problems you need to address as shown in the IOREG.

- Lack of USB Implementation
- Lack of LPC
- Lack of SMBUS
- Lack of correct Windows Emulation
- SATA controller not supported / correctly renamed.
- Lack of EC
Im surprised because the system runs quite "smoothly" i think apart from the Firewire card issue not being recognized

Did I forget some of the steps of your guide? How do I fix this? ( or do I need to fix this , what is the downside of having the system running with this issues your mentioned?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back