Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now getting

Kernel Panic on Startup "unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI

Any ideas?

Now getting

Kernel Panic on Startup "unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI

Any ideas?
It may be that the VGA won't work at all on a 6300. I did get it to work on the 8200 with HD2000 graphics but that is older than what you've got on your CPU.

It may be that the VGA won't work at all on a 6300. I did get it to work on the 8200 with HD2000 graphics but that is older than what you've got on your CPU.
Ok, thank you! I'll wait for the adapter to arrive in a couple of more days!

renderTimingPixel.png

Hey folks,

This is my first post, so thank you for this opportunity. I was offered an HP 8300 i7 4770 USFF at a reasonable price with 8 GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD.

I am planning to install macOS on it and use it as a desktop machine.

What's not important to me:

- video/music editing

- For gaming, I use my PS4, so it's not important for me either.

What is important to me:

- Lots of Chrome with multiple tabs, Youtube, Torrenting, Spotify and text editing, that's it.

- Good resolution monitor of 2k/4k

- quiet system (is there a difference between USFF and SFF?)

Coming from a late 2013 2.4 GHz MBP 13" retina, I would like to use a 2K monitor with it for the pixel density. Is the integrated graphics (Intel HD4000) up to this task? How does everything look in regards to future proofing?

Also, I'd prefer the USFF over the SFF in terms of aesthetics, however, I am aware that I'm not able to install a graphics card later on. That being said, are relatively newer systems advisable, such as an HP 800?

Maybe someone can give me advice. Have a great Christmas everyone!

Cheers
Hi @uniforinth,

My system is a HP-8300 Core i7-3770 version MT MicroTower Computer running macOs Mojave,

I don't know about the USFF factor, but I can say this, if your looking for a fast computer that can fairly match even current Macs, the HP-8300/6300 is the best and cheapest way to go,. You wont need anything except some add-ons such as a Graphic card and RAM. In my case I am still running on the stock 8GB ram that came with my PC but added a graphic card, a GT-710 to be exact, a SSD drive and that's about it. It runs like a champ even in 4K mode which I tested on a friend's monitor which was a ASUS something ( cant remember). It was great to see such clarity and detail. (I am thinking about getting one myself in the future.) The GT 710 GPU is relatively cheep compared to others, but it's excellent for video editing - super fast even in 4K. As for gaming, well, let's just say best use Windows 10 on a another drive for it. As for pc fan sounds, it's fairly quiet. I am even using the stock fans on my MT, and it's a quiet computer; kinda reminds of my old late 2012 Mac Mini which i sold to get my HP8300 :)

Long story short, go for it. But I highly recommend a MT MicroTower or SFF Small Form Factor version so that you can install a low profile graphic card and enjoy the 4K video watching or YouTube and normal day to day tasks such as web browsing and torrents downloading.

I hope this helps you my friend.

Oh, and Marry Christmas to you and to all my fellow users and admins of tonymacx86.com Ho Ho Ho..:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and Merry Christmas to you and to all my fellow users and admins of tonymacx86.com
Thanks for sharing your experience with the 8300. I'm glad it has worked out so well and is meeting all your expectations.

Does your 710 give you a 60Hz refresh rate on a 4K monitor or just 30 Hz ?

Last edited:
Hi @uniforinth,

My system is a HP-8300 Core i7-3770 version MT MicroTower Computer running macOs Mojave,

I don't know about the USFF factor, but I can say this, if your looking for a fast computer that can fairly match even current Macs, the HP-8300/6300 is the best and cheapest way to go,. You wont need anything except some add-ons such as a Graphic card and RAM. In my case I am still running on the stock 8GB ram that came with my PC but added a graphic card, a GT-710 to be exact, a SSD drive and that's about it. It runs like a champ even in 4K mode which I tested on a friend's monitor which was a ASUS something ( cant remember). It was great to see such clarity and detail. (I am thinking about getting one myself in the future.) The GT 710 GPU is relatively cheep compared to others, but it's excellent for video editing - super fast even in 4K. As for gaming, well, let's just say best use Windows 10 on a another drive for it. As for pc fan sounds, it's fairly quiet. I am even using the stock fans on my MT, and it's a quiet computer; kinda reminds of my old late 2012 Mac Mini which i sold to get my HP8300 :)

Long story short, go for it. But I highly recommend a MT MicroTower or SFF Small Form Factor version so that you can install a low profile graphic card and enjoy the 4K video watching or YouTube and normal day to day tasks such as web browsing and torrents downloading.

I hope this helps you my friend.

Oh, and Marry Christmas to you and to all my fellow users and admins of tonymacx86.com Ho Ho Ho..:)
Thanks very much for your opinion, this is just what I was looking for! I'll get building as soon as I've got some free time after exams.

All the best @ALL

Thanks for sharing your experience with the 8300. I'm glad it has worked out so well and is meeting all your expectations.

Does your 710 give you a 60Hz refresh rate on a 4K monitor or just 30 Hz ?

Thank you @trs96 its really thanks to you my friend, :)

Unfortunately its only 30Hz refresh rate via HDMI but better than nothing:) , I can only imagine how the 60Hz looks and feels like, here is the link of the exact card that i bought via bestbuy.com click here

Last edited:
For me it is important to have iTunes working fully as I have all my music there, uncompressed. Many optical drives make not-so-good copies and my old plextor premium ide is top extracting audio. That drive and another plextor work perfectly on a 2006 Mac Pro running El Capitan. I'm new here and haven't read a lot but maybe there is a chipset controller that has a kext HS compatible... not possible?

Nice :) And cheap. Thanks Shiitaki and trs96

Still researching for parts for my 8300, hope to start in 1/2 weeks. There are still some on eBay with nice price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back