Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
How were the temperatures before the use of the MSI 1050 TI ?
Maybe you have first to consider changing the thermal paste between CPU and radiator
Thanks for your reply! Well I installed a brand new GPU (MSI 1050 Ti) right after i bought this PC and I didn't have any GPU before that. I'm not that confident in my skills to change the thermal paste on a brand new GPU, don't want to ruin it. I heard that 80C is ok, my i5 3470 gets to 60C maximum. With opened case my GPU won't go above 70C and CPU temp stays the same. Maybe I should leave the case opened when playing games?

Not the thermal paste on the GPU ! Don't touch this

I talk about the thermal paste between the CPU and the radiator
Normally the temperature of the CPU with ambiant air around 20-25°c should be idle between 30 and 40°c max depending on the quality of the thermal paste. If more the thermal paste does not well the job.
Don't forget these PCs are more than 5 years old and thermal paste is not the same quality than in 2012-2013
But my CPU is at 30-35C idle, 60C MAX when gaming, I don't have any problem with that. GPU is 30C idle, 80C when gaming.

Has anyone been able to easily convert from an Nvidia card to the listed AMD Rx560 on these 8300s, i have read through some of the other forums and get conflicting info and i have never touched anything AMD on a hackintosh.

Well, it's been a fun run for my HP 8300 Elite CMT. I just sold it off and went for a i5-8400 custom build. Not that the performance was bad (it was actually spectacular), but I just had too many issues with it—random reboots/black screen after sleep with Nvidia and system wide lock ups with AMD. Tried for months every kind of configuration, kexts, changed RAM + CPU and issues still persists. Tried multiple Nvidia and AMD cards too. The freezing with AMD I believe has something to do with not enabling iGPU on the BIOS, but the HP BIOS doesn't have an option to enable such feature. Even tried to run it off just Intel HD4000 graphics but my 4K monitor just didn't output anything with the DisplayPort. I just got fed up with troubleshooting it more than actually using it.

I also dislike HP and their proprietary shenanigans. Why must the power supply and motherboard connectors all be proprietary? Even Dell Optiplexes use standard ATX power supplies and connectors. It renders GPU upgrade paths limited since you're stuck with lower power variants that doesn't require 6 or 8 pin connectors.

Anyway, that's my rant for today. Hope everyone else had better luck with theirs. I just couldn't get mine to be stable and my hardware is vanilla as possible, unfortunately.

Well, it's been a fun run for my HP 8300 Elite CMT. I just sold it off and went for a i5-8400 custom build. Not that the performance was bad (it was actually spectacular), but I just had too many issues with it—random reboots/black screen after sleep with Nvidia and system wide lock ups with AMD. Tried for months every kind of configuration, kexts, changed RAM + CPU and issues still persists. Tried multiple Nvidia and AMD cards too. The freezing with AMD I believe has something to do with not enabling iGPU on the BIOS, but the HP BIOS doesn't have an option to enable such feature. Even tried to run it off just Intel HD4000 graphics but my 4K monitor just didn't output anything with the DisplayPort. I just got fed up with troubleshooting it more than actually using it.

I also dislike HP and their proprietary shenanigans. Why must the power supply and motherboard connectors all be proprietary? Even Dell Optiplexes use standard ATX power supplies and connectors. It renders GPU upgrade paths limited since you're stuck with lower power variants that doesn't require 6 or 8 pin connectors.

Anyway, that's my rant for today. Hope everyone else had better luck with theirs. I just couldn't get mine to be stable and my hardware is vanilla as possible, unfortunately.
Sorry to hear it didn't work out. Did you ever install Windows on this ? Did any of the same problems occur then ? I know that macOS runs on these without any of these issues, lockups, random reboots etc. Sometimes the refurbisher will not do thorough testing and find hardware problems. The cause could have been the motherboard, PSU or possibly ram (sometimes the ram is good but the slot it goes into isn't). You would need to replace each part individually and then retest each time to determine which it was.

Last edited:
My i7 8300 CMT has been rock stable.

Have my SFF Elite 8300 open and ready to go, trying to figure out how I go about adding my HDDs. Have 3 drives (all 3.5" SATA) to add. Apparently there are special "guide" screws that are required? The primary 3.5" internal bay already has a drive in it with screws, so good there. The 5.25" bay has an optical drive that I'll remove - will any old 5.25->3.5 converter do like this one, or do I *also* need the HP guide screws for the 5.25 bay? And then, what about adding a 3.5" drive into the "secondary" 3.5" bay (under optical drive)? If there's a part #, or an EBay listing with the right screws that someone could send my way, *much* appreciated!

Last edited:
@BFire, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard (Mobo), CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you.

Has anyone been able to easily convert from an Nvidia card to the listed AMD Rx560 on these 8300s, i have read through some of the other forums and get conflicting info and i have never touched anything AMD on a hackintosh.

Had a brief experience with the MSI Rx560 Low Profile card on HP Pro 6300 SFF. The HDMI port worked out of the box without any change with High Sierra (10.13.4). DVI not working at all (either single monitor or dual monitor with one connected to DVI). Didn't have time to figure why DVI is not working.

Installing macOS Sierra on the HP 6300/8300 Desktop PC

Using a discrete graphics card: I used an HP 6300 Pro mini-tower with a GT 640 and later on, a GTX 1050 to test a Sierra install. The GT 640 is no longer for sale new on either Amazon or Newegg. The GT 710 is an alternative. The GTX 1050 2GB and the 1050 Ti 4GB are more powerful, Pascal based cards. A good choice if you want to game at 1080p. If you can fit a GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti into your budget I highly recommend one. These perform much better than the older Kepler based cards do. Are also more energy efficient.

I'm hoping that I can re-purpose a GT 640 to be used in my sister's 1st hackintosh on a Lenovo M92P to replace the unsupported HD 2500 graphics. Does High Sierra still support the GT 640? Is there anything special required to get support for that video card?

Thanks for all your great posts. I used your guide to build a HP 8300 hackintosh for my niece and it went so quickly and smoothly because of that excellent work by you.

Gamb00ler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back