Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any suggestion on where to find the tiny screws to fasten the card to the motherboard?
I found the screws hard to find. I used some from a glasses repair kit and bought some online advertised as M1.7 x 2.5 which worked with a bit of force. I think ideally you want M1.6 and the ones that come with standard SSD drives are too big. Good luck...

Quick question guys, is it possible to have 2 hard drives on the usff or usdt version of the hp 8300? The reason im asking is because i see there's only on sata port on the motherbord and that's being used for the dvd/cd drive. Has anyone managed to accomplish that?

Quick question guys, is it possible to have 2 hard drives on the usff or usdt version of the hp 8300? The reason im asking is because i see there's only on sata port on the motherbord and that's being used for the dvd/cd drive. Has anyone managed to accomplish that?
You could use an mSata ssd in that slot on the motherboard. You could also remove the DVD/CD drive and put an SSD in place of it, connected to Sata. I recall one post where someone bought an adapter that worked to do this. Not sure where that post is.

Note that these are not 6Gb/s connections, they are only 3Gb/s so plan accordingly.

Screen_Shot_5.jpg

The mSATA slot is directly below the 2.5" HDD. You have to remove that to see it.

Last edited:
Oh ok, I saw that slot on the mobo it's right next to the wifi card. I think I'll use the msata slot instead.. But i'd like to know that adapter if i wanted to remove the dvd drive.

Oh ok, I saw that slot on the mobo it's right next to the wifi card. I think I'll use the msata slot instead.. But i'd like to know that adapter if i wanted to remove the dvd drive.

Be aware the msata slot is not 6GB/s (as mentioned above). This means you will not get ~500Mbps speeds. Still quicker than a mechanical, but not as quick as it could be.

I'm not sure if you are away from your posts - there is a SATA (full speed 6Gbps) slot and caddy for a 2.5" drive which makes it real easy to install a standard 2.5" SSD.

The adaptor is linked in one of my posts - it was on Amazon.

Yes I'm aware. Could you please direct me to the post with the link? I could always buy an msata to 2.5" adapter. Already bought a 256gb msata today.

Sorry for the delayed response. I hadn't really looked at that cable before, but the kind of adaptor you need would probably be this one. Just be careful with the genders and also I imagine it will only supply 5v so only suitable for a 2.5" drive.

I don't have any 2.5" drives in mine so can't see what you are looking at regarding the space.

In theory that would be possible to have all three connected....but why do you need an optical drive? Genuine question, I haven't used one in years and the only reason they are still in my 8300's is that I don't have blanking plates for them! I do have an external USB drive buried in the drawer for the odd occasion.

By far the easiest option for three drives is to have a 2.5" mechanical in the caddy, a mSATA SSD (still quick, just not as quick as it could be) in the mSATA slot and keep the optical. I cannot confirm what speed the SATA slot for the DVD runs at, so it might also be the same as the mSATA slot..in which case you would just get an mSATA to SATA adaptor and not need the adaptor linked above!

For me, I run the mSATA SSD, nothing in the caddy, and the optical drive not used. I get my big files off NAS or internet, and it is mainly an office box.

You can also replace the fan's if you want to make it a bit quieter :)
After some digging I found the post with the link to the adapter. I'll order it right away. Thanks for all the info. I had my usdt running super fine last night until I ran an update and I keep getting kernel panics. I'm gonna do everything over again when I get the chance.

After some digging I found the post with the link to the adapter. I'll order it right away. Thanks for all the info. I had my usdt running super fine last night until I ran an update and I keep getting kernel panics. I'm gonna do everything over again when I get the chance.
Glad you found it - was on mobile so not easy for me to dig out. What update did you run that broke things?

Glad you found it - was on mobile so not easy for me to dig out. What update did you run that broke things?
Whenever i run security updates like 001 or 002 i always hide them and don't install them. It happened to me on El Capitan and in Sierra. So since then, i hide them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back