Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
These models are called a few different things in different regions e.g. USFF / USDT etc. But they work great as long as you have a CPU with integrated HD4000 graphics (which you do, and have found). Myself and a number of others are running these machines. It's nice to have dual monitor output from the onboard HD4000.

What is interesting is you have one with an additional graphics, which as I understood was very limited and only using the MXM slot. You could remove the card and it would work the same, and maybe have less power draw (and less complications with setup, maybe).

With the correct adaptor you can run a Broadcom PCIE/BT card internally, OOB with handoff etc supported. You will need to get some aerial leads. There is also a mSATA slot but I would not use that unless really needed, as it is limited in terms of SATA speed. Just get a normal 2.5" SATA drive and run in the caddy. I don't know of any other upgrades you can do.
Oh wow, great info phrozenpenguin. I guess I really did get lucky. Dumb luck really because I thought I was screwed. ;)

Since you know these machines well, just a few questions (sorry):

1. Can you run dual 4k monitors from the onboard HD4000?
2. I'm assuming there's only space for one internal HD. I was going to swap out the 750GB HD with an SSD down the road. It's not possible to have both the HD and an additional SSD installed, (if I keep the optical drive) is that correct?

Really interesting news about an adaptor possibly allowing me to run a Broadcom PCIE/BT card internally. I honestly didn't even know there was something called an MXM slot. Wow. I may look into this. This type of machine is totally new to me, so thanks for letting me know all of this. Much appreciated.

Oh wow, great info phrozenpenguin. I guess I really did get lucky. Dumb luck really because I thought I was screwed. ;)

Since you know these machines well, just a few questions (sorry):

1. Can you run dual 4k monitors from the onboard HD4000?
2. I'm assuming there's only space for one internal HD. I was going to swap out the 750GB HD with an SSD down the road. It's not possible to have both the HD and an additional SSD installed, (if I keep the optical drive) is that correct?

Really interesting news about an adaptor possibly allowing me to run a Broadcom PCIE/BT card internally. I honestly didn't even know there was something called an MXM slot. Wow. I may look into this. This type of machine is totally new to me, so thanks for letting me know all of this. Much appreciated.

1. I don't think the HD4000 can support 4k monitors but I am not 100% sure - I don't have any to test. I run "2k" monitor.
2. Yes there is only one space for an internal 2.5" HD, if you want to keep the optical drive. As mentioned there is an mSATA slot, which is faster than a hard drive but not as fast as an SSD in the 2.5" slot.

I recall the MXM is whitelisted to a few cards, so for all intents and purposes it is useless i.e. you cannot use it to significantly upgrade the graphics.

I don't think the HD4000 can support 4k monitors but I am not 100% sure
HD4000 will go up to 1440p resolution with decent quality. The specs say up to 2560 X 1600p but hardly anyone has a monitor with that 16:10 aspect ratio. They are 30" wide monitors that are quite expensive. Many sell for over 1000 USD.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-desc-rank?rh=n:172282,n:!493964,n:541966,n:1292115011,p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin:6570750011&qid=1523221043&sort=price-desc-rank

HD4000 will go up to 1440p resolution with decent quality. The specs say up to 2560 X 1600p but hardly anyone has a monitor with that 16:10 aspect ratio. They are 30" wide monitors that are quite expensive. Many sell for over 1000 USD.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-desc-rank?rh=n:172282,n:!493964,n:541966,n:1292115011,p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin:6570750011&qid=1523221043&sort=price-desc-rank

The 2560x1600 resolution monitors were more common before 4K monitors became common. I used a Dell 3008WFP for years before switching to 4K. I got that monitor for about $900 almost a decade ago.

I don't have the answer but I have the same problem. It is just monitors going black i.e. music stays playing etc. Interested to follow and find a solution!
I test this, It is just the music which is playing!
system is not functioning, the volume keys on keyboard or other things stop working when black screen happens
I think, it is some sort of freezing with black screen!
Im currently reading the number 44 page in this topic!!!!!
hope find answer until page 137!!!!!:(
it seems we are alone!

Edit:
is brand of video card important and has effect?
my video card is biostar gt 710 2GB LP

Last edited:
Hi,
Would like to mention that I had success setting up sound via AppleALC project (https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC) which support Realtek ALC221 chip used by HP 6300 / HP 8300 family.

Sound seems better than with "VoodooHDA method" (higher volume, clear sound without distorsion) so far. :mrgreen:

Output line and front right jack are working as expected (as with "Voodoo method").
Nevertheless the front left jack (with microphone) is still not working (as with "Voodoo method"). This is probably due to a wrong "PinConfigurations" settings which I have not sorted out yet.

NB: You should test this from a test USB drive to ensure your system is booting/running fine prior to making this changes to your live system.

I've put together a brief 8 minute long video guide showing how to enable ALC221 audio via the DSDT patch presented by Nitrouze. Also includes use of the AppleALC and Lilu kexts. Thanks again to Nitrouze for sharing his findings and pastrychef for his help with this guide.

See the complete video guide here: Enable ALC221 Audio on your HP 6300 or 8300

I've put together a brief 8 minute long video guide showing how to enable ALC221 audio via the DSDT patch presented by Nitrouze. Also includes use of the AppleALC and Lilu kexts. Thanks again to Nitrouze for sharing his findings and pastrychef for his help with this guide.

See the complete video guide here: Enable ALC221 Audio on your HP 6300 or 8300

HDMI/DisplayPort audio should work without any additional efforts for AMD RX 500-series and Vega users. Not sure about other AMD cards.

HDMI/DisplayPort audio should work for GM204, GK208, GM206, GP102, GP106 Nvidia cards because vit9696 added support for these cards in AppleALC. For other Nvidia cards, you must extract AppleHDA from macOS 10.13.3 and replace the one included with 10.13.4.

HDMI/DisplayPort audio should work without any additional efforts for AMD RX 500-series and Vega users. Not sure about other AMD cards.

HDMI/DisplayPort audio should work for GM204, GK208, GM206, GP102, GP106 Nvidia cards because vit9696 added support for these cards in AppleALC. For other Nvidia cards, you must extract AppleHDA from macOS 10.13.3 and replace the one included with 10.13.4.
Thanks ! I'll add those notes in the preface to the video. It's too bad that GP108 and GP107 are not supported as the GT 1030 and GTX 1050 (Ti) Nvidia cards are what most people are using.

Last edited:
Does the HP 8300 CMT DisplayPort supports 4K 60Hz resolution? After hooking up my monitor to the port I just get a black screen, not even the BIOS shows up. Using i7-3770 so it should have integrated graphics support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back