Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those looking for low profile and single slot, options are FirePro W4100, FirePro W4300, and Radeon Pro WX 4100. But I have no idea how these perform...

As for gaming in Windows between an RX 560 and a GTX 1050, I think it's pretty much a wash. Each beats out the other in some games. They are comparable enough that I would just recommend an RX 560 over a GTX 1050 in general.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1430-radeon-rx-560-vs-geforce-gtx-1050/page1.html

Is the RX560 supported natively in High Sierra or is that supposed to come with 10.13.4? If it is the latter, how difficult is it to make work with High Sierra? Is it just drivers like with the NVidia cards?

Is the RX560 supported natively in High Sierra or is that supposed to come with 10.13.4? If it is the latter, how difficult is it to make work with High Sierra? Is it just drivers like with the NVidia cards?

Native support is coming in 10.13.4. You can get it working now by enabling Radeon DeInit in config.plist or installing Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext.

No, nothing like having to install Nvidia web drivers. Just do the above.

With native support, you shouldn't have to do anything. Just plug and go.

4GB, in my opinion, makes macOS unusable now. I feel that 16GB should be a bare minimum by today's standard.
I've got 12 GB in mine, and with it running iTunes, Safari, Office, Photos, Preview and a few other things, Activity Monitor shows I'm just at 8 GB used; so I'd suggest 8 GB is an acceptable minimum for general use. Especially if you boot from an SSD so swap is not as painful.

Just an observation for anyone wondering if they can get by with less memory. Certainly if you use more memory intensive programs 8 may not be enough.

I have an 8300 am using the onboard HD 4000 graphics and also have a QHD (2560 x 1440) monitor that has worked perfectly for me in both Sierra and High Sierra. I'm using DisplayPort - DisplayPort connection. I did not do anything "fancy" with Clover, I just followed the guides on this site. I didn't have to do anything with injectintel ? How are you connecting the monitor?

Appreciate that doesn't help much, but it sounds like your hardware should work.
I think it might be the cable that's the problem. I tried to use the computer on a 720p tv and had the same problem. I will try going with a displayport to displayport cable on my monitor later to see if that fixes it instead of displayport to HDMI.

Am trying to hack an 8300 USFF with an I5-3475S CPU. Which SMBIOS should I use? For example 13,1? Clover boot arguments set to verbose and the last thing seen is a panic and an attempt to restart which crashed. BTW, trying to get High Sierra running. I have other hacks that I use.

Am trying to hack an 8300 USFF with an I5-3475S CPU. Which SMBIOS should I use? For example 13,1? Clover boot arguments set to verbose and the last thing seen is a panic and an attempt to restart which crashed. BTW, trying to get High Sierra running. I have other hacks that I use.
13,1 is good for that system. Are you trying to do the initial install with Unibeast ? Have you already installed High Sierra and run Multibeast ?

OK I have got my 8300 up and running and it's fantastic. I can't currenlty get unlocking with my apple watch to work at all but other things work well. However there are a couple of restrictions.

1, I'd like to create something that is near silent. I replaced the cooler fan with a be quiet one but there is still a lot of air noise, and the PSU fan is still noisier.
2, I'd like to add a nicer graphics card, RX560 maybe. I'm already using a slot for the PCIE wifi/BT adapter.

So I'm wondering, is there a well supported m-ATX motherboard I could move everything over to? Or am I better off just jumping to a new MB? The reason for trying to reuse is I have 16GB of ram, and the i7-3770s CPU, so it's a good spec. And the current price of DDR4 ram is really high so re-using what I have would save a lot of cash.

So I'm wondering, is there a well supported m-ATX motherboard I could move everything over to? Or am I better off just jumping to a new MB?
Are you speaking of an 8300 CMT or SFF system ?

Sorry should have been more specific, it’s a ssf system so i think the motherboard is a btx size or something.
Correct. If you want to use a new/different motherboard it requires a new case and PSU. They're hard to find and expensive but you could search Ebay for a Gigabyte Z77 mATX board. I would focus more on keeping the SFF and figure out solutions for the fan noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back