Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Testing this now. HFS+ to HFS+. If this works, great. Saves a step while backupping my hack. Nice!

Hm. The script seemed to have copied the EFI/EFI folder, but it missed my EFI/nvram.plist

So the EFI partition is not a perfect clone, but the EFI/EFI folder is?

Hm. The script seemed to have copied the EFI/EFI folder, but it missed my EFI/nvram.plist

So the EFI partition is not a perfect clone, but the EFI/EFI folder is?

Hmm... good callout. I did not realize that there was anything that might be needed outside of the EFI folder. I just included it in the path for the copy. No reason I can't fix that straight away. Just an oversight.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am going to officially publish the project and create the post in the Post Install\General forum tonight.

I should be able to fix that one issue before then.

A better solution would probably be to return to using native NVRAM.

For me, maybe. For the clone shell program, I think it is wise to clone the whole EFI partition, not just the EFI folder

For me, maybe. For the clone shell program, I think it is wise to clone the whole EFI partition, not just the EFI folder

Agreed... I have a fix for your issue with nvram.plist, but it means I need to re-work the validation code that I had just included in the code. Still, it is better at the moment to have a complete copy of all data - but I need to determine what to do with hidden files... spotlight search data, trash, etc will wreak havoc with trying to match file and directory hashes to ensure that all data was copied successfully.

In any case, I am still going to publish the first version tonight with the fix for files outside of the /EFI/ directory - with the validation code being an upcoming enhancement (and my #1 priority).

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks to those who have tried out the script.

I've now done the first official beta release and posted a new thread in the Post Installation/General Help forum.

This second release already has a number of the enhancements I had planned:

1. It is now a single script that supports being called from both CCC and SuperDuper!
2. The script now validates that the data in the destination partition is an exact copy of what is in the source partition and provides feedback if there is a mismatch.
3. The copy of data now includes all non-hidden files in the EFI partition... not just the data in the EFI/EFI folder.
4. The script now uses rsync instead of cp to do the copy from the source to the destination. This is in prep for a move to a safer, less potentially destructive approach to copying the data.

The new thread has an updated ZIP file attached and a link to the GitHub project. Feel free to post questions, suggestions, bugs, or enhancements either on the new thread or on GitHub.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/eficlone-automatic-backup-of-the-efi-partition.246540/

There is a mini-pci e slot on the USFF which should work. I've got an adaptor and a bluetooth/wifi card and antennas on the way, all from different vendors. Will aim to update when it has all arrived and been tested.
Any update on this?

First post, I've completed the install described in this guide (HP6300/8300 ten step... thank you by the way, easy to follow for a first timer) on my HP8300 SFF, core i5 8GB, MSI geforce GT710 LP card. I cannot get HDMI audio to work, using the two kexts described (VoodooHDA 2.9.0 and AppleHDADisabler). I do have analog audio from the right hand front jack. I'd like to run audio through the monitor speakers (regular 1080 monitor with speakers). Am I missing something fundamental about HDMI audio connectivity ?

Sorry if i missed this with searching, but has anyone here with an 8300 able to do the 10.12 2018-001 security update without any issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back