Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,
I mistakenly deleted my macOS partition in windows but i still have the recovery partition which clover recognizes.... i don't have any real macs available to re-download macOS again.... so my question is Can i use the recovery partition to download macOS and install through the installer????? or do i need to get a real mac to redownload macOS???

I've made a minor change to Step 3. Restore Factory Defaults and Configure the BIOS of the guide.

Since I originally wrote the guide last June with a Nvidia GT640 card, I had Legacy support enabled in BIOS. I swapped that out later after the install and post install was complete. I recently tested booting the installer for Sierra again with a GTX 1050 and the install and post install are much more user friendly with Legacy Support disabled under the Security tab in the BIOS. This is similar to disabling CSM support in Haswell or newer systems. CSM allows you to boot legacy drives while also booting UEFI with other drives in the same PC. Here's the official definition of CSM:

The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is a component of the UEFI firmware that provides legacy BIOS compatibility by emulating a BIOS environment, allowing legacy operating systems and some option ROMs that do not support UEFI to still be used.

Screen Shot 20.jpg
So for everyone with a UEFI capable graphics card this is the best way to go. Examples are GT710 GTX 1030 and 1050.

Disable legacy support in BIOS. This should also work with Windows installed UEFI in a dual boot setup, but I haven't tested that. Leave a note if you are a Windows dual booter and try this out. TIA

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
I mistakenly deleted my macOS partition in windows but i still have the recovery partition which clover recognizes.... i don't have any real macs available to re-download macOS again.... so my question is Can i use the recovery partition to download macOS and install through the installer????? or do i need to get a real mac to redownload macOS???
It's really no different than when you first downloaded Sierra from the MAS. Use a real Mac or CustoMac running at least 10.7.5 Lion. If those two options aren't available buy the Snow Leopard DVD and install that first. Upgrade to El Capitan and then download Sierra or High Sierra from there. Your situation is why we say you should always keep your Unibeast drive in case of emergency such as this. Makes sense.

I've made a minor change to Step 3. Restore Factory Defaults and Configure the BIOS of the guide.

Since I originally wrote the guide last June with a Nvidia GT640 card, I had Legacy support enabled in BIOS. I swapped that out later after the install and post install was complete. I recently tested booting the installer for Sierra again with a GTX 1050 and the install and post install are much more user friendly with Legacy Support disabled under the Security tab in the BIOS.

So for everyone with a Pascal based graphics card this is the best way to go. Disable all legacy support in BIOS. This should also work with Windows installed UEFI in a dual boot setup, but I haven't tested that. Leave a note if you are a Windows dual booter and try this out. TIA

I'm a little confused. You talk about GT 710 Pascal based cards, but according to Wikipedia the 710 uses a Kepler architecture. Note that I'm using Wikipedia because I know next to nothing about graphics cards, so my understanding could be totally wrong. Anyway, I'm going to try turning the legacy option off shortly, haven't done it yet.

Since I originally wrote the guide last June with a Nvidia GT640 card, I had Legacy support enabled in BIOS. I swapped that out later after the install and post install was complete. I recently tested booting the installer for Sierra again with a GTX 1050 and the install and post install are much more user friendly with Legacy Support disabled under the Security tab in the BIOS.

So for everyone with a Pascal based graphics card this is the best way to go. Disable all legacy support in BIOS. This should also work with Windows installed UEFI in a dual boot setup, but I haven't tested that. Leave a note if you are a Windows dual booter and try this out. TIA

If we are using the onboard Intel HD4000 graphics can we turn off legacy support?

If we are using the onboard Intel HD4000 graphics can we turn off legacy support?
I've only got HD2500 so I'm not able to test it. I'd imagine it should work but not 100 % sure. Is anyone else using HD4000 with legacy support disabled ?

I'm a little confused. You talk about GT 710 Pascal based cards, but according to Wikipedia the 710 uses a Kepler architecture. Note that I'm using Wikipedia because I know next to nothing about graphics cards, so my understanding could be totally wrong. Anyway, I'm going to try turning the legacy option off shortly, haven't done it yet.
It's not Pascal that's important it's the ability to boot UEFI which the 710 does have. It has a UEFI Vbios. I lump them all together because they were released at about the same time. Just a bad habit I guess.

I've only got HD2500 so I'm not able to test it. I'd imagine it should work but not 100 % sure. Is anyone else using HD4000 with legacy support disabled ?

I'll try it after a while. I borked my computer so I'm doing a fresh install later today. This is my first hackentosh and went balls to the wall playing with stuff. Thankfully I got this to play around with so nothing is lost other then my time.

I'll try it after a while. I borked my computer so I'm doing a fresh install later today. This is my first hackentosh and went balls to the wall playing with stuff. Thankfully I got this to play around with so nothing is lost other then my time.
Probably @jsdoc could answer this as he has quite a few of the USDT version 8300's all with HD4000.

Here's how the CBM looks when legacy support is disabled completely. None of the image distortion as with legacy booting seen with the image to the right.

Screen Shot 9.jpg Screen Shot 22.jpg

Last edited:
Probably @jsdoc could answer this as he has quite a few of the USDT version 8300's all with HD4000.

Here's how the CBM looks when legacy support is disabled completely. None of the image distortion as with legacy booting.

View attachment 306126

I asked earlier, but didn’t see a reply. Are your images screen shots or pictures of the monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back