Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
@trs96

Please I would like to know why the sound is very low in macOS but when in Windows its very LOUD.... Is there a fix to this?? I am thinking of ditching Windows and switching to macOS for good and if there was a fix to this( low Sound ) I would really appreciate it.

I just completed my build, and it's working great. I ended up paying around $400 for a 3770, a 1050 Ti, and 16 GB of RAM, which is a pretty great deal in my book. I tried to update to High Sierra yesterday and had it hang on the first reboot, but I'm sure I can resolve that in time.

If anyone's looking for a low-profile, native Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card for their 8300 SFF, I can recommend this one. It's decently affordable ($37), and they'll throw in a low-profile bracket for free if you ask for one. You just have to be patient on shipping, as it's coming from China. It's been working great for me so far with my Magic Trackpad, save for some issues with pairing both Windows 10 and macOS that are probably just software.

As an aside, is anyone else having success with their PCI slot under macOS? I picked up a Firewire 800 PCI card that advertised macOS compatibility (a visual inspection confirms it's a TI chipset) and while it shows up under Windows 10 macOS only sees it as a modem in network settings. If I can't get it to work it's not a big deal, as I'd mostly be using it to interface with some older machines over target disk mode, but it'd be nice to add a couple of Firewire 800 ports to the back of this thing.

EDIT: I'm going to mess around with some DSDT settings and report back. Maybe that'll jiggle it into place.

Last edited:
@trs96

Please I would like to know why the sound is very low in macOS but when in Windows its very LOUD.... Is there a fix to this?? I am thinking of ditching Windows and switching to macOS for good and if there was a fix to this( low Sound ) I would really appreciate it.
If you are using the built in speaker that is normal. If it's happening via HDMI audio or the front headphone or rear audio out jack then it's not normal. You may have to tweak some settings in the VoodooHDA control panel to get more volume.

As an aside, is anyone else having success with their PCI slot under macOS?

I have:
1. PCI-e graphics card
2. 10GbE card
3. Wifi/Bluetooth

in my PCI-e slots. All are working.

I have:
1. PCI-e graphics card
2. 10GbE card
3. Wifi/Bluetooth

in my PCI-e slots. All are working.
He's referring to the older PCI (without small e) slot. The white one to the left of the X16 graphics slot (when looking from the back I/O)

hp-compaq-elite-8300-sff-system-motherboard-657094-001-72e4c8d7bc8382e0840c92965d740b5f.jpg

I tried a Firewire 400 card in that slot and the only way to get it to work was with the use of nullpowermanagement.kext which, obviously, was not ideal. I gave up trying to get it work after that.

I bought a 8300 SFF from Amazon for $179, added a $99 HP 22" monitor. I installed High Sierra and was able to upgrade to 10.13.1 via the Apple store; no troubles. Unfortunately, my CPU has the Intel 2500 graphics which isn't supported by OSx. Apps like Pixelmator won't work in this environment. So....

I ordered an EVEA GT 710. I installed it and connected my monitor via HDMI to HDMI. With the graphics card installed, the boot process hangs. The progress bar reaches about 60% and then a spinner starts, continues for a bit, and then the system just hangs. I also tried to boot from the Unibeast USB I used to do the initial install. My thinking was that the graphic drivers weren't installed when I first installed (since the graphics card wasn't installed). Same results; boot hangs with a spinner.

If I remove the graphics card and use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable, it boots with no problems.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
My thinking was that the graphic drivers weren't installed when I first installed (since the graphics card wasn't installed). Same results; boot hangs with a spinner.

If I remove the graphics card and use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable, it boots with no problems.

Any ideas?
The GT710 drivers are already within macOS, you don't need to install the web drivers when using a GT710. Anyway, two things you'll need to do. Put your hardware specs, CPU, graphics and mobo into your https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/personal-details section. Then start a new thread, just about your HS install, in High Sierra Desktop Support. High Sierra is off topic for this thread. Use that desktop support forum to get help. Make sure to detail exactly what you did during HS install and post install.

Boot with your DP to HDMI connection. Mount your boot drive's EFI partition. Save a copy of the Clover Config.plist as a zip file.
Attach that to your new HS help/support thread. Also, boot with your GT710 installed and take a screen shot/pic of the last section of the kernel panic (where it stops) as well. Choose verbose booting by pressing the space bar at the Clover menu. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The GT710 drivers are already within macOS, you don't need to install the web drivers when using a GT710. Anyway, two things you'll need to do. Put your hardware specs, CPU, graphics and mobo into your https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/personal-details section. Then start a new thread, just about your HS install, in High Sierra Desktop Support. High Sierra is off topic for this thread. Use that desktop support forum to get help. Make sure to detail exactly what you did during HS install and post install.

Boot with your DP to HDMI connection. Mount your boot drive's EFI partition. Save a copy of the Clover Config.plist as a zip file.
Attach that to your new HS help/support thread. Also, boot with your GT710 installed and take a screen shot/pic of the last section of the kernel panic (where it stops) as well. Choose verbose booting by pressing the space bar at the Clover menu. Thanks in advance.

Thanks; will do.

Applying the FireWire 800 DSDT fix in clover let macOS see the card, but things are still a little hairy. System profiler recognizes the card as a FireWire in the PCI section, but doesn’t recognize it in the FireWire section. It may still work, but I’ve gotta check with an actual drive.

Anyway, it seems like the PCI slot will work, but Firewire might not be the best thing to stick there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back