Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned in the guide:
Having the Clover Bootloader screen display at full resolution is just cosmetic, it looks nicer but that's about it. So leave the Video Option Rom setting on Legacy if you'll use dual or triple monitors.

Hi chaps, Saw this guide and thought I’d give my second Hack a go (first was an Optiplex 760 running SL about 5 years ago)

Picked up a small form factor 8300 Elite with i5 3470, Could anyone tell me the cheapest GPU I could get away this using?

Am I right in thinking the GT710 LP would work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi chaps, Saw this guide and thought I’d give my second Hack a go (first was an Optiplex 760 running SL about 5 years ago)

Picked up a small form factor 8300 Elite with i5 3470, Could anyone tell me the cheapest GPU I could get away this using?

Am I right in thinking the GT710 LP would work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, that will work OOB, you don't need to install web drivers.

Bough 8300 usdt with i5-3475s (hd4000) from ebay. Use rehabman's laptop guide, and the setup was pretty smooth.

Next I want to connect this to a 2560x1440 monitor (dual link dvi-d only) from the displayport on the machine (hd4000).

Has any one got this working, and what cable (displayport to dual-link dvi-d) did you buy to make it work?

Bough 8300 usdt with i5-3475s (hd4000) from ebay. Use rehabman's laptop guide, and the setup was pretty smooth.

Next I want to connect this to a 2560x1440 monitor (dual link dvi-d only) from the displayport on the machine (hd4000).

Has any one got this working, and what cable (displayport to dual-link dvi-d) did you buy to make it work?

I haven't tried one of these, only DP to HDMI. Looks like they cost more than your standard cables that do 1080p. Over 40 dollars as opposed to about $7.95. A USB port is required for power.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XYBA72/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I haven't used the dual link DVI but can confirm I have 2560x1440 working over displayport - displayport, and didn't need to do anything special. I am on the lookout for a convertor to HDMI as well.

High Sierra work well in HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite ? :)
I installed Sierra then High Sierra when it was available on the App Store (both clean and not updates).

I find that it took a lot more twiddling and work to get High Sierra to work with my HP 8300 (upgraded to a 1050 Ti GPU). The main issue was that I kept getting flashing black screens after the Apple logo bar fully loaded upon boot with Nvidia web drivers enabled. I had to install NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext + Lilu.kext and the system is working perfectly fine ever since. Upgrading to APFS additionally took a few more steps than usual.

However, despite the more troublesome install, I have found that High Sierra is running better than Sierra with less bugs. In Sierra (despite many reinstalls), I kept getting occasionally kernel panics while using the OS related to the GPU. No more in High Sierra. I also liked how APFS is faster and more secure than HFS+.

It would be nice if someone could create/update the guide to include High Sierra, since the process for installing/updating to High Sierra is different and more complex.

I installed Sierra then High Sierra when it was available on the App Store (both clean and not updates).

I find that it took a lot more twiddling and work to get High Sierra to work with my HP 8300 (upgraded to a 1050 Ti GPU). The main issue was that I kept getting flashing black screens after the Apple logo bar fully loaded upon boot with Nvidia web drivers enabled. I had to install NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext + Lilu.kext and the system is working perfectly fine ever since. Upgrading to APFS additionally took a few more steps than usual.

However, despite the more troublesome install, I have found that High Sierra is running better than Sierra with less bugs. In Sierra (despite many reinstalls), I kept getting occasionally kernel panics while using the OS related to the GPU. No more in High Sierra. I also liked how APFS is faster and more secure than HFS+.

It would be nice if someone could create/update the guide to include High Sierra, since the process for installing/updating to High Sierra is different and more complex.

Thanks for reporting your findings in regard to High Sierra. I have not upgraded my 6300 Pro system yet. I usually wait until 10.13.3 to do so. If you want to write up an addition to the guide here you can post your experience with HS in the High Sierra Desktop Guides section and I'll put a link to it in this guide.

I haven't used the dual link DVI but can confirm I have 2560x1440 working over displayport - displayport, and didn't need to do anything special. I am on the lookout for a convertor to HDMI as well.
That's encouraging news, confirming that the on-board hd4000 (assuming you using the the on-board video) can drive 2560x1440. Next is finding a affordable cable because my monitor has only dvd-d ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back