Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have looked through this thread to find an answer to my query but couldn’t see it so I will ask (apologies if this has been answered before...):

Would the stock power supply on the 8300 MT be enough to power a 4gb Graphics card?

Thanks

Would the stock power supply on the 8300 MT be enough to power a 4gb Graphics card?

Be more specific. The gpu ram specification is not the determining factor.

psu in the MT is 320W.

The recommended psu for this Nvidia 1050 4GB card is 300W: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N105TOC-4GL#sp

on the other hand

The recommended psu for a 4GB Nvidia Quadro FX5800 in an HP workstation is a minimum 1050W: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01622191.pdf

So the answer to your question is "Yes" and at the same time "No"

I have looked through this thread to find an answer to my query but couldn’t see it so I will ask (apologies if this has been answered before...):

Thanks
If you are considering the GTX 1050 Ti 4GB then yes, the HP 8300 PSU in the SFF or Minitower can handle it. Quite a few people use that graphics card for gaming and don't report any problems with excessive power draw that the PSU can't handle. Pascal cards like the 1050 Ti are all about high efficiency. You just can't use a GTX 1060 or higher Nvidia card that requires 6 pin supplemental power. The reason you can use a 1050 Ti in any 8300 is that HP put power supplies in these that last longer and are more efficient than the standard, low quality inefficient PSUs that go into consumer desktops. You are lucky to get a year or more of life out of those. That's why they only give a 1 year warranty.

Last edited:
Great - thanks markintosh13 and trs96 for your detailed responses.

Are you able to advise the material difference between the 6300 and 8300 MT’s?

Thanks

Wonderfull Guide

Add an i7 3770 and replace internal fan with a Noctua [92mm- 4 pin] fan. I borked my my first upgrade to High Sierra so I used this guide to reinstall and got great results. I have issues booting into dual screen (so i disconnect one screen on boot) but everything else is fantastic.

Thank you!

S.jpg

Great - thanks markintosh13 and trs96 for your detailed responses.

Are you able to advise the material difference between the 6300 and 8300 MT’s?

Thanks
I posted this info in the second post of this thread but here it is again if you missed it. To sum it up, if you will use two Sata SSDs and want virtualization go with the 8300 Elite over the 6300 Pro.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

I posted this info in the second post of this thread but here it is again if you missed it. To sum it up, if you will use two Sata SSDs and want virtualization go with the 8300 Elite over the 6300 Pro.

View attachment 285644
Sorry missed that. Thanks for the clarification.

Hi all,

In need of help again, I am having a problem with kernel_task hogging the cpu. I have searched the forum(s) for this problem. And found hundreds of similar issues related to all sorts of different causes ranging from apps to drivers to air humidity. So i though I should ask here instead of trying to zoom in on the rest of the forums. Every now and then the machine will become unresponsive and with high cpu usage. It is very useable and all I need to do is just wait a few minutes and I'm good. But it sure is annoying. Don't know where to start re: troubleshooting. Any pointers will be appreciated. I first noticed this after updating Cuda drivers, but few days prior I also updated VoodooHDA, so really not sure what could be tripping up the machine, otherwise very good and performant.

Thanks

After my first successful 6300 Micro tower Hackintosh, I bought a SSF 6300 with 8 Gb ram and 500 GB HDD for £90 from Ebay.My children will use it for their studies and play some less demanding games like TF2. I am planning to buy this graphics card
or this
Do you think MSI will be OK? It is a bit cheaper than EVGA...

I will keep you posted with result as soon as it arrives. Again many thanks for this informative thread...

I am planning to buy this graphics card or this
Do you think MSI will be OK? It is a bit cheaper than EVGA...

I will keep you posted with result as soon as it arrives. Again many thanks for this informative thread...

The MSI should work just as well and save you some money too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back