Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting the random reboots with windows & linux (so I don't think my issue is related with hackintosh).

And I think I started experiencing it when I updated the BIOS (I'm on 2.99 right now). If it is not, perhaps something related with hardware ― cpu most likely.
Did you restore factory defaults after the 2.99 BIOS update ?

Yes, and just did it right now.

By the way, I can flash the BIOS without windows? I want to upgrade to 03.04 Rev.A but I don't have windows currently installed.

The Clover config.plist looks fine, no problems there. The other possible cause could be the ram. Much more likely than the CPU.

I don't know that another BIOS flash will make any difference. If you do try that follow the official HP guide for making a USB drive to update. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00007682 That way doesn't require Windows.

Last edited:
Link to download the latest BIOS .EXE file 3.08 (You must have flashed to at least 2.99) first to use this.
You'll find the 2.99 .BIN file attached at the end of this post.

Select Windows 8.1 64 Bit as your OS
Screen_Shot_2.png

Next Click on BIOS
(1) and Download the .exe file

Screen_Shot_3.png

If you don't have a Windows Install on your HP 6300/8300 you can load the K01_0308.bin file (located in the DOS Flash folder) onto a clean FAT32 USB and boot into the startup menu (ESC key) and choose the Utilities option. Follow instructions for bios update. Works very well (double check that your download is intact for that file of course).
Reminder to all that you have to flash to the K01_0299.bin (bios ver 2.99) first
I highly recommend you download the whole BIOS executable file from HP. You must have this if flashing to the new BIOS from within Windows.

You also have the option to use any of the stand alone .BIN files attached below at the end of this post #464.

Here's how to get the K01_0308.BIN file from the BIOS (sp95971.exe file ver. 03.08) to use with the USB method. For anyone that wants to flash the BIOS that way without needing a Windows install and HPQflash.

1. Download the BIOS .exe file for either 02.99 or 03.08 whichever you need to flash to, from the HP site.
2. Right click the file (in macOS) and select "open with" (I used the Unarchiver app from the MAS)
3. Open the folder of the extracted contents to see the DOS Flash folder inside of that.

Screen Shot 5.jpg
4. Open that DOS Flash folder to find the K01_0308.BIN file. Drag that to your empty FAT32 formatted MBR partitioned flash drive. Insert the USB flash drive into one of the front HP 6300/8300 USB 2.0 ports.

5. Power on your HP and tap on the esc key to reach the Startup menu and then select Utilities, then Flash System ROM.

0827171936.jpg
6. You should then see the BIOS version you are flashing to. Hit enter and follow the directions to complete the BIOS flash.
7. Let your system reboot on it's own and you're good to go.

You can still get BIOS 0304 from HP. It's located in the Previous Version section dropdown menu.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

Note: The 0304.BIN file does not have all the Intel Security patches that mitigate Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities. If you want to avoid those on your system only flash up to 0304. Once 0308 is flashed you can't revert to older versions.

Attachments

• K01_0304.BIN.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,865
  • K01_0299.bin.zip
    5 MB · Views: 2,291
  • K01_0308.BIN.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,180
Last edited:
I have tried installing OSx before. I got an HP elite 8100 and installed El Capitan and it is working.
I bought another HP elite but I could never get OSx on it so I gave up. (I think maybe the BIOS is wrong and I can't reflash it back)
I bought a third HP Elite. This time an 8300. I tried this guide. I tried 3 different USB drives. Each time there is a kernel panic.
I'm not sure where to go from here. It's been a frustrating past few days. Any help would be appreciated

I have tried installing OSx before. I got an HP elite 8100 and installed El Capitan and it is working.
I bought another HP elite but I could never get OSx on it so I gave up. (I think maybe the BIOS is wrong and I can't reflash it back)
I bought a third HP Elite. This time an 8300. I tried this guide. I tried 3 different USB drives. Each time there is a kernel panic.
I'm not sure where to go from here. It's been a frustrating past few days. Any help would be appreciated
You'll want to be on at least BIOS ver. 02.99 for the installation to work on an 8300 Elite.
Boot Verbose (-v) and then take a picture of where it hangs up. Post it here for review.

Here is what happens now
http://imgur.com/e0Mw7No
I would try using a compatible graphics card like the GT 710. The HD 5450 is AMD and not well supported by macOS. There are also older low profile GT 640s you can find yet on Ebay that will work. Do you have the SFF form factor case or Mini-Tower ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back