Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
not so much for 8300 MT cases or cpu-less systems.
The motherboards from the 8300 MT will not fit in a 6300 SFF case. Those are closer to ATX size motherboards. No way to make that work. Make sure to get the 8300 SFF motherboard if you attempt this. Otherwise you'll have some very expensive return shipping fees. The 8300 MT cases are heavy. Here's a pic of the 8300 MT motherboard. Note the completely different PCI-E and PCI slot layout from the SFF motherboard. The 3 white PCI slots are to the right of the back panel USB ports. Opposite orientation from SFF. On the right is the 8300 SFF motherboard. It's actually a BTX form factor board. Completely different.

Screen Shot 4.jpg Screen Shot 5.jpg

_________ Elite 8300 MT Motherboard _________________________ Elite 8300 SFF Motherboard

Last edited:
The motherboards from the 8300 MT will not fit in a 6300 SFF case. Those are closer to ATX size motherboards. No way to make that work. Make sure to get the 8300 SFF motherboard if you attempt this.

Yeah, that's the conclusion I've arrived at.

There seem to be 8300 SFF mobos available for about the price of a 2 port SATA3 adapter card, and since I really only need 1 port, and could possibly use the x4 pci-e slot, this is an attractive option.

Since I have already got low profile video, a low profile (after a hacksaw job) wifi card in inbound, and future card options like M2 x4 pci-e adapters are low profile, I don't at this point have a compelling reason to go MT.

Going to sit tight until the bug to buy something bites.

I will confess after seeing the latest Snazzylabs video where he hacked open a new iMac and made a fusion drive out of a stupid fast NVME SSD + a slow but cost effective SATA 3 SSD has me intrigued... but the reality is my existing 256GB boot SSD on SATA 3) and 1TB storage SSD (currently on USB 3) is still real world fast.

Big thanks to trs96, my first ever hackintosh is all up and running

8300 i7
Intel HD4000
500gb Mx200
4gb ram (soon to be 8gb)

Is the GTX 1050 Ti OC Low Profile 4G the most powerful card that will fit the sff?

I have an MSI GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB LP and that is the max considering performance.

I have an MSI GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB LP and that is the max considering performance.

I believe the GTX 1050 Ti is currently the most powerful low profile Nvidia card. However I can't comment on how they compare to the AMD offerings.

I believe the GTX 1050 Ti is currently the most powerful low profile Nvidia card. However I can't comment on how they compare to the AMD offerings.

There is a low profile AMD RX550, which is much weaker.

Testing Request: I would like to know if anyone with a 4K monitor could confirm whether or not a Nvidia Pascal card can produce a 4k resolution with a 60Hz refresh rate via the HDMI 2.0 output. I know that 30Hz works. Apple doesn't officially support HDMI 2.0 but I'd like to know if the Nvidia web drivers make this possible. Make sure to test with a 4K capable HDMI cable. TIA.

Testing Request: I would like to know if anyone with a 4K monitor could confirm whether or not a Nvidia Pascal card can produce a 4k resolution with a 60Hz refresh rate via the HDMI 2.0 output. I know that 30Hz works. Apple doesn't officially support HDMI 2.0 but I'd like to know if the Nvidia web drivers make this possible. Make sure to test with a 4K capable HDMI cable. TIA.
I am using a 4K monitor, and I can only get it to work with 30Hz. When I plug into the 60Hz HDMI port I get nothing and the monitor goes to sleep.

I am using a 4K monitor, and I can only get it to work with 30Hz. When I plug into the 60Hz HDMI port I get nothing and the monitor goes to sleep.
Thanks for posting that. Looks like the only way to get 4K @60 Hz is to use DP to DP or to adapt DP to HDMI with an active adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back