Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recommend changing the PSU even though it's possible. It creates some problems that you don't want. Rewiring the 4 pin connector causes you to lose PSU fan regulation. Not a good idea. The stock 320W PSU is more than enough for a 1050/Ti GPU. It also makes a cable management mess if you use a non-modular PSU. That will affect airflow and cooling. The person in the Y.T. video puts in an R9 280X that is very power hungry, that's why he must upgrade the PSU. A GTX 1050 Ti 4GB will perform just as well for gaming, use less power and doesn't require any modding. It just makes more sense.

Heck, the 1050 Ti even works flawlessly in the 8300 SFF and this thing only has a 240W power supply.
Super happy with my setup. :)

Uneventful update to 10.12.6 via the MAS. Rebooted and installed the Nvidia drivers. Everything works as before.

First, I want to thank tonymac and all the smart folks here at tonymacx86.com for this site with all the tools, and their sharing of this information.
Secondly, I want to thank trs96 for this Guide and his other posts and
thirdly, Going Bald for his Guides on Multibooting (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi.197352/.

I just picked up an HP 8300 Elite i7-3770s USFF for less than $175 after reading this guide and related posts . Its now running great with a triple boot Sierra, Windows10 and Linux Mint 18.1 using integrated graphics 4000.

I followed these guides and they were great. I have built other hackintoshes from the guides here at tonymacx86.com, too, and have been happy with all of them.

This is my first attempted hackintosh of a prebuilt system and it was a snap with this guide and this website. Here is my geekbench information. Thanks again guys!!

iMac13,2
Single-Core Score Multi-Core Score
3307 11901

Geekbench 4.1.0 Mac OS X x86 (64-bit)

System Information
iMac13,2
Operating System macOS 10.12.5 (Build 16F73)
Model iMac13,2
Processor Intel Core i7-3770S @ 3.09 GHz
1 processor, 4 cores, 8 threads
Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Memory 8192 MB 1600 MHz DDR3

Thank you for the amazing tutorial, I've successfully build a Hackintosh PC with the HP 6300 MT & Nvidia GT 1030, just I want to add somehting, in my case the Voodo 2.9 didn't work well (the sound was akward and so low), so instead of that I delete the Kext, and replaced it with the Voodo HDA 2.8.8, the HDMI audio is working just normally.

Attachments

• VoodooHDA-2.8.8.pkg.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 90
I'm having an issue with my USB ports dying every few minutes. My Sabrent USB audio adapter and IO Gear Bluetooth 4.0 adapter both go undetected, so I manually have to unplug and replug the bluetooth adapter to get my magic mouse and wireless keyboard to get recognized. I heard something about USB changes in El Capitan and Sierra that may cause USB issues, since this does not happen on my Yosemite ssd.

Can you help point me in the right direction please?
Do you have Sierra or Yosemite?

Thank you for the amazing tutorial, I've successfully build a Hackintosh PC with the HP 6300 MT & Nvidia GT 1030, just I want to add something, in my case the Voodoo 2.9 didn't work well (the sound was akward and so low), so instead of that I delete the Kext, and replaced it with the Voodoo HDA 2.8.8, the HDMI audio is working just normally.
Glad to hear the tutorial helped you with the install. Thanks for the note about using V.HDA. I've tried the 2.8.8 kext from Multibeast before and not had success with it. I'll try this and see what happens. Does the analog audio continue to work after a few reboots of the system ? Note that when you install this kext to /S/L/E you may need to reinstall it after a macOS update.

Last edited:
Is there anyone who uses 8300 i7-3770 with Final Cut Pro and did or can make BruceX test?
http://alex4d.com/BruceX_Test.zip

Since HP 8300 has relative weak PSU for modern full-suze cards (280X,290X, others) I'm confused and don't know what to buy. SFF (sexy small) or Tower (for full size GPU).

For SFF and working low-profile cards, from what i know:
1) I have zero low-profile options that work OOB and without black-screen bug.
2) I could go Nvidia 710, 730 or 750 and compromise Final Cut performance.

I'm not pro, but i just want something that will give me significantly more power than my Macbook Pro 13 2015 (Iris 6100). I also would like to know is it 10% or 50% or 300% :)

Final Cut Pro X BruceX test tutorial:
BruceX is a small Final Cut Pro X XML file that you import into Final Cut Pro. It creates a very short timeline at the highest possible standard resolution that Final Cut can handle: 5120 by 2700 (at 23.975 fps). It uses standard Final Cut generators, titles and transitions. As it uses many layers of complex content, it requires lots of GPU RAM.

The benchmark is based on timing how long a Mac configuration takes to export the project to disk.

To use this import the XML file at

Alex4D.com/BruceX_Test.zip

...and time the export of a 5K master file from the timeline.

1. Have both QuickTime player and Final Cut Pro X open at the same time.

3. In Final Cut Pro X, go to 'Final Cut Pro:preferences…' – in the Playback tab make sure 'Background Render' is off.

3. Use the 'File:Import:XML...' command to import 'BruceX Test - 5K.fcpxml' to create a very short but complex 5K project.

4. Click the new 'BruceX Test - 5K ' timeline (this makes the Share command selectable)

5. Export the QuickTime movie by choosing "File:Share:Master File...'

6. In the dialogue box that appears, click the 'Settings' Tab

7. In the 'Video Codec' section choose 'H.264' (edited to add - many people have got errors with H.264, so use ProRes422 instead you you have a problem - some times are given with different flavours of ProRes, but each person usually mentions which they've used when reporting their results)

8. In the 'Open With' section, choose 'QuickTime Player'

9. Click the 'Next' button in the bottom-right of the dialogue box

10. In the Save sheet, choose a name and location for the export - export to your fastest drive connected using your fastest connection.

11. Get your stopwatch ready and time from when you click 'Save' until you see the movie open up in QuickTime Player.

12. Quit and restart Final Cut to clear some cached renders and time the export again. Quit and restart Final Cut again, export a third time. The BruceX value is the average of the three export times.

I just completed a HP 6300 Pro SFF build using a Nvidia GT 710 and Sierra

My issue seems to be with deep sleep.

Short sleep and wake seems to be working just fine. The problem is after long extended period of sleep. For example, if I leave the computer on and wake up in the morning, I would have to power up via cold boot. As if the machine powers and shutoff unexpectedly during sleep.

Is anyone experiencing this? Is this an issue with the HP 6300 Pro itself? or is it a problem with sleep via Sierra?

VoodooHDA 2.8.8 from Sourceforge.net comes in an installer package. It installs to /S/L/E. It seems to work for both HDMI and Analog audio on my system, even after 3 reboots. So if anyone else is interested in having both analog and HDMI audio working at the same time, test this out by first uninstalling any other VoodooHDA kext from /L/E or wherever else you may have installed it. Empty the trash and reboot. Then double click the 2.8.8 installer pkg. and go through the install routine. You won't need to use Kextbeast or any other kext installer. Reboot again and see if HDMI audio and your analog audio jacks are working. Report back here what happens with your system, which graphics card you are using or whether you are using onboard DP (HD4000) straight to a monitor with speakers or adapted to HDMI for a television. Would like to hear what your experiences are with this. I've attached the same pkg below for your convenience. You can also download it directly from sourceforge.net. https://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/?source=typ_redirect

I had previously tried installing 2.8.8 from Multibeast but it failed to work. It may be that it installs the 2.8.8 kext to /L/E instead of /S/L/E. I'm not entirely sure why it fails. If you install the version from Sourceforge you'll need to install the V.HDA pref panel separately as that package installer doesn't do that for you.

NOTE: If you have already installed V.HDA 2.9.0 and have working HDMI audio you can stay with that. If you never use the analog audio onboard there's no reason to go back to 2.8.8.

Since only HDMI audio works when the 2.9.0 Voodoo HDA kext is installed I'm recommending that all new installs of Sierra use the 2.8.8 kext instead. That way you will have the choice of either the onboard audio jacks or the use of the HDMI audio. The main install guide has been changed to reflect this. 2.9.0 installed to /L/E with Kextbeast can still be used if you only want HDMI audio.

Hi, trs96.

I tried out VoodooHDA 2.8.8 on my HP Elite 8300. I removed all traces of whatever audio drivers I had tried in the past. Then installed VoodooHDA 2.8.8. Here are my results when using an Nvidia GTX 745:
  • My GTX 745 has two video outputs, (1) DVI-D and (2) HDMI. I am only able to get HDMI audio when using the DVI-D port with a DVI-to-HDMI adaptor.
  • The internal speaker does output sound, albeit at very low volumes.
  • None of the other audio outputs produced any sound.
  • Here is my Sound Preference Pane:
    Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 5.08.31 PM.png

Hi, trs96.

I tried out VoodooHDA 2.8.8 on my HP Elite 8300. I removed all traces of whatever audio drivers I had tried in the past. Then installed VoodooHDA 2.8.8. Here are my results when using an Nvidia GTX 745:
  • My GTX 745 has two video outputs, (1) DVI-D and (2) HDMI. I am only able to get HDMI audio when using the DVI-D port with a DVI-to-HDMI adaptor.
  • The internal speaker does output sound, albeit at very low volumes.
  • None of the other audio outputs produced any sound.
Thanks for taking the time to test this.

That's what I had thought might happen with older graphics cards. It may be that it will only give working digital (HDMI/DP) and analog audio support with the newer Pascal cards. If some others with 10x0 series Pascal cards could test to confirm this that would be helpful. Have you tried the Voodoo 2.9.0 kext installed to /L/E yet ? You might see if that works for HDMI audio.

EDIT: I swapped in my old GT640 for the 1050 and the HDMI audio does work with the 2.8.8 kext. Unfortunately the analog audio was not working. So it's basically the same situation as using the 2.9.0 kext installed to /L/E.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back