Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a drive with Windows on it that you could try connecting to the internet via the ethernet ?
If it doesn't work you know you've got a hardware issue and not a software one.

Thanks for your help! I was able to try it using a different 8300 and it worked perfectly! Looks like the ethernet adapter on the machine died. It was working fine last week, but we lost power Friday so I'm guessing it fried that port. Thanks again for all your hard work putting this guide together!

The Word is Out
HP Elite 8300 SFF is the best selling PC/CustoMac on all of Amazon.com I'm pretty sure we had something to do with this !
Thanks to everyone in the community that helped with all the testing and research. It is an amazing desktop value. The high cost of Ram and storage these days has made it an even better value. These run Win10 at least twice as fast as most new Win10 desktop PCs that sell for under $350. We already know how well Sierra works when installed on an SSD on these. Just think how many Mac desktops Apple could sell in the 250-300 dollar range that were easily user upgradeable like one of these. Too bad it will never happen with Apple as it is today. It would bring many tens of millions more into the Apple ecosystem.

View attachment 265812

8GB of ram and a 1 TB HDD will cost you $116 and an I5 CPU about $180 = $296 Which is over 100 dollars more than the 8300
SFF complete system. A case, PSU and Motherboard would add at least another $180. Total of a new build is $476.

View attachment 265813 View attachment 265814

An HP Core I5-7400 prebuilt is about the same price.

View attachment 265820
I decided to build hackintosh after seeing this video on Youtube . He says where to get cheap computer. Mine even came with HDD and was $30 but got it for free because I knew somebody.

I decided to build hackintosh after seeing this video on Youtube . He says where to get cheap computer. Mine even came with HDD and was $30 but got it for free because I knew somebody.
Getting a free PC makes it easier to spend about $149 on a new GTX 1050 Ti. Yes, that video by Quinn has gotten a lot of views. If you buy pro refurbished though you usually get a case in better condition, more ram an HDD and also a Windows license. The refurbs are so cheap compared to buying new that they are certainly worth the small amount of money they cost. It's a good thing to repurpose these and make them into CustoMacs rather than have them ending up as eWaste.

Thanks, that was the solution even having HD2500. I wish I tried that right away. I spend many days searching for and finally found it but in different thread. I also found in BIOS that my Integrated Graphics wore disabled so I enabled it. Airplay mirroring works like I charm
My sound problems I solved by installing VoodooHDA 2.9.0 to Library/Extensions and System/Library/Extensions. No problem with sound since then.

Getting a free PC makes it easier to spend about $149 on a new GTX 1050 Ti. Yes, that video by Quinn has gotten a lot of views. If you buy pro refurbished though you usually get a case in better condition, more ram an HDD and also a Windows license. The refurbs are so cheap compared to buying new that they are certainly worth the small amount of money they cost. It's a good thing to repurpose these and make them into CustoMacs rather than have them ending up as eWaste.
Exactly. Also because I have 0 experience in that matter and doing it before your awesome guide I wasn't sure if I have right PC I didn't want to spend too much if something I wasn't sure is going to work. So, seriously with computer for $30(actually free) VGA monitor + mouse + keyboard for $11 from Goodwill and $25 graphics card from eBay I had nice working Mac. After having that I decided to upgrade its guts and put some more money into it.

Crucial Ballistix Ram upgrade:
At Amazon.com right now you can get the 12GB Kit for less than the 8GB kit costs. Basically 4 GB of ram for free !

The 16GB kit costs about $107 or $45 more than the 12GB kit, so that is not the best value. For any gaming, 12 GB is more than enough. If you want 16, just buy the 12 GB kit and a single 4GB DIMM. The cost would only be $90 or $17 less than the 16GB Kit.

You can even make a ram disk if your SSD has the right software for use in Windows. Makes your boot times and games load up super fast.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006YG9528/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

If you want to add a smaller 2 x 2GB kit from Crucial to add to the ram that came with your HP this is also CL 11 latency and should match with the ram pre-installed before you received it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006YG88YY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
Last edited:
Desktop HD 4000 CPUs
Integrated HD4000 Intel graphics did not come standard with most of these HP desktops. If you want to swap out your HD2500 integrated graphics CPU that can easily be done. HD4000 has full support from Mt. Lion through Sierra and will continue into High Sierra.

Here's a list of HD4000 CPUs that are still available, some new, most used on places like Ebay.com. The s at the end of the CPU's number just means that it is clocked lower to produce less heat, use less electricity. K means the cpu is unlocked.
  1. I3-3225
  2. I3-3245
  3. I5-3475s Base clock 2.9 GHz
  4. I5-3570K
  5. I7-3770s Base clock 3.1 Ghz
  6. I7-3770
  7. I7-3770K (Do not use in the 8300 USFF)
Remember: If you are going to use HD4000 exclusively you will need to adapt the DP 1.2 onboard to HDMI if your monitor or TV does not support Displayport. K CPUs cannot be overclocked in the HP 6300/8300 so its not worth paying extra for them.

Last edited:
Got a I7-3770 on a Dell 9010, and it works perfect!!

@trs96 , installed a GT710 today, worked out of the box! once again, thank you so much for your inputs.
I'm a happy hackintosh user, thanks to you.

Got a I7-3770 on a Dell 9010, and it works perfect!!

@trs96 , installed a GT710 today, worked out of the box! once again, thank you so much for your inputs.
I'm a happy hackintosh user, thanks to you.

Easy and affordable is a very good combo. Glad to hear that it worked out well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back