Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to do this with a optiplex 7010. the motherboard does not have a PCI-E 1x slot or a plug in on the mb for the usb connection required for the Fenvi. Can I just use blue tooth adapter and wired internett connection and still be able to have Continuity and Handoff , facetime, and Imessage?
The Fenvi card needs to be in a x1 slot and connect to an 9 pin USB 2.0 header to work. You'll have to find another solution for Continuity and Handoff. Try posting in one of the Optiplex 7010 threads, good luck.

Last edited:
In pastrychef's build instructions for the 8300 https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...hine-hp-elite-8300-sff-i7-3770-gt-630.199712/ he specified using Clover Configurator to rename EHC1 to EHC01 etc. However the instructions in this thread don't mention anything similar.

Is this rename needed? What is it for?

It is mentioned in this guide in the latter part of step 8. I now recommend that you make this DSDT edit.

Fenvi-FV-T919-802-11AC-Desktop-Wifi-Card-802-11-A-B-G-N-AC-BCM94360CD.jpgThis image to the left shows the connected USB 2.0 cable.

6300_Mobo copy.jpg

It has to also plug into the 9 pin header on the HP motherboard for the BT part of the card to work properly.

Last edited:
It is mentioned in this guide in the latter part of step 8. This is only necessary if you will connect the FV-T919 BT cable to a USB 2.0 header on the motherboard to get working bluetooth. If you don't have that card (T919) then you can skip this step. It's simply a DSDT edit that helps the USB 2.0 header to be recognized.

View attachment 263457This image to the left shows the connected USB 2.0 cable.

View attachment 263458

It has to also plug into the 9 pin header on the HP motherboard for the BT part of the card to work properly.

Thanks for the clarification.

I assume that I would have to perform this tweak if I wanted to use the internal USB headers even if it's not the FV-T919. I'll have to remember this!

USB 3.0 Expansion Card
If you would like more USB 3.0 ports you can get those via one of the PCI-E x1 slots on your HP PC.
The following Inateck card works OOB with macOS.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JFR2H64/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
61tp-L-m+mL._SL1300_.jpg

Looking for a USB 3.1 card but haven't found a x1 version yet.

Last edited:
Determine your Graphics card clearance Before Buying
I just received a Gigabyte GTX 1050 (full height) card in the mail today. I made the incorrect assumption that it would fit without any modifications. The 6300 Pro uses an older BTX style motherboard instead of micro ATX as many new PCs do these days. So any graphics card over 7.0 inches in length may not fit. (This Gigabyte card is about 7.6 inches long) I was able to turn the CPU heatsink 90 degrees and then install it. There is enough clearance but I'd rather not have to make this modification.

This is not an ideal solution as it may affect the CPU cooler's airflow from the front fan. So moral of the story is. Always measure twice before buying a new GPU for the HP 6300 Pro.

0628171838.jpg 0628171839.jpg

There is a few mm between the heatsink and GPU. The plastic shroud over the heatskink does not fit correctly. CPU heatsink is rotated 90 degrees.
DCP_3538.jpg
Here's a dual fan GTX 1050 Ti 4GB model from Zotac that will fit in the HP 6300 Pro Mini-Tower. It's one of the few dual fan versions that will not force you to re-mount the CPU cooler to make it fit. Best of all it's single slot, saves one of your PCI-e x1.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4LR1WI/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
zt-p10510b-10l_image2.jpg zt-p10510b-10l_image3.jpg

Screen Shot 2.jpg
Great choice for either HP 6300 or 8300 Mini-Tower
These are hard to find as they often go out of stock.​

Last edited:
Just want to say thanks for making this guide. I picked up one of these today and this was really helpful!

Unigine Heaven Benchmark
Ran this new Gigabyte GTX 1050 2GB graphics card through all 26 scenes of the Heaven benchmark and it performed quite well.
The I5-3470 CPU also did not have problems with heat. Averaged about only 41-42 degrees C through the whole test. The 1050's fans started to spin up for the first time, couldn't really hear them over the other 3 fans in the case. Gigabyte has done a very nice job on this graphics card. Considering the small amount of money it cost it's a good investment for better graphics. Perfect low budget choice for 1080p gaming. HDMI audio works too. Same as with the GT640, just install VoodooHDA 2.90 kext to /L/E.

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 8.12.54 AM.png

If you have the 4GB GTX 1050 Ti card you can expect to get an average of 58 - 60 FPS on GTA 5. You will need to have at least 8GB of ram for this game to run well. Here's a screenshot of running it on Very High settings. This is impressive for a budget PC that costs less than most consoles.

Screen Shot.jpg

Last edited:
CPU Temps of the I5-3470
Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 8.29.59 AM.png

At idle averages from 30-32 degrees C
I have run Pike's script for CPU power management ssdtPRGen for my I5-3470.

and placed the SSDT in:

/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

See: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/

If you have the same I5-3470 you can use my attached SSDT.aml for your system.
If not follow the guide I've linked to above to create an SSDT for your CPU.

Power management is not mandatory but it's a good idea to implement it.

Attachments

• ssdt.aml
    1.8 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back