Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you jsdoc for elaborate reply, all working fine.. was silly of me, trying to get it working on VGA, and the Displayport to HDMI not plugged in

I'm not sure why readers are missing this part of the guide ? Should I change the color of the text ?
In Summary: 15 pin VGA is not macOS friendly. 20 pin DisplayPort is very macOS friendly.
Use the DisplayPort output
even if you have to buy a low cost adapter to make it work for you.

Glad to hear you got everything working luckyearl. :thumbup:

Last edited:
A Complete Ten Step macOS Sierra Guide for the HP 6300 Pro/8300 Elite

Successfully upgraded two 8300s SFF (250 GB SSD, GT 1030) from High Sierra 10.13.1 to 10.13.2:

1. Disconnected Windows HDD
  2. Uninstall Nvidia driver
  3. Mount EFi with Clover Configurator
  4. Copy FakeSMC.kext to /Volumes/EFi/EFI/Kexts/Other
  5. Update MacOS from App Store (would not work from Combo!)
  6. Machine rebooted once and finished install normally
  7. Install latest Nvidia drivers
  8. Restart
  9. Hung with a circle with a line across it
  10. Reboot; macOS starts normally
  11. Shut down, reconnect Windows HDD and restart

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok new issue - (or issue from install I never really did check fully... )

EDIT: AUDIO Works with everything MINUS one APP Garage Band ( I have been through all the tutorial for GB and its not that.. sounds plays for everything else accept GB)

Last edited:
Ok new issue - (or issue from install I never really did check fully... )

EDIT: AUDIO Works with everything MINUS one APP Garage Band ( I have been through all the tutorial for GB and its not that.. sounds plays for everything else accept GB)

For audio trouble shooting post here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/audio.14/
This is primarily for questions about the guide and not a support thread. Thanks in advance.

I wanted some more memory for one of my HP8300s (it only has eight) and I priced 16GB at $120.00+/- for entry level memory.

I then noticed another HP8300 i7 3.4Ghz with 32GB of ram, a 130GB SSD and a 500GB HDD with 2X video cards and Windows 7 pro for sale at $299.00. I jumped on it and will move 16GB to the one that currently has 8GB and leave the new unit with 16GB - one more Windows machine gone :). The new unit comes with 4 rows of 8GB each.

The same seller has two more for sale if anyone is interested - 32GB alone is about $240.00 +/- on EBay if anyone is interested.

I then noticed another HP8300 i7 3.4Ghz with 32GB of ram, a 130GB SSD and a 500GB HDD with 2X video cards and Windows 7 pro for sale at $299.00. I jumped on it and will move 16GB to the one that currently has 8GB and leave the new unit with 16GB - one more Windows machine gone :). The new unit comes with 4 rows of 8GB each.

The same seller has two more for sale if anyone is interested - 32GB alone is about $240.00 +/- on EBay if anyone is interested.
It's a good deal with that much ram but unless you pick it up locally the seller charges 43+ dollars to ship it. At least to where I'm at.
Screen Shot.jpg

Thank you trs96 for this complete and well written guide.
Thanks also to all contributors for sharing their time and knowledge.

Followed the guide, and now have Sierra 10.12..6 running smoothly on my HP 8300 SFF.
Just few points I would like your advice on …

About Enabling Trim support: isn’t it better to use Clover kext patches to do this « natively » with this (as suggested by RehabMan elsewhere) … ?

Name: com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage
Find (HEX): 00415050 4c452053 534400
Replace (HEX): 00000000 00000000 000000
Comment: Enable TRIM for SSD

Your post #11: what is the reason you suggest to not use USBinjectall and custom SSDT method to fine tune USB ?
Is it because your consider it is not part of the installation guide itself or any other good reason to not do it on HP 6300/8300 ?

Also (even if a bit off-topic), I did not succeed in installing Wifi/BT card based on BCM94360CS despite several users mentioned it to be working well.
I did create a topic about that here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/problem-with-half-working-bcm943602cs.241138/ if anyone can provide any advice, I would be thankful.

Thanks again guys, you rule.

@Nitrouze There is no 15 port limit issue to resolve on any Ivy Bridge based system so no need for a custom SSDT, USBinjectall etc. It would only be a waste of your time to make one. 7-series XHCI will always be within the 15-port limit. Less work is always better IMO. :thumbup:

You can enable trim either by the terminal command or by kext patches. Just note that if you update to High Sierra it will probably not work anymore. For the wifi troubleshooting issue your post in the network forum should get you help with that. Glad to hear that the guide was helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying. I got it now.

However and just to pass an information that may help someone else ...
I'am using a combo WIFI/BT card as mentioned above, the USB part of the Bluetooth was preventing the suspend activity mode to work correctly (pc going to sleep mode for 2 seconds then "awaking' itself).

As this seems to clearly be an USB "instant wake" problem, I decided to fine tune USB using ReHabMan tutos (custom SSDT and USBInjectall.kext method).

Since then the problem seems resolved, PC is staying in sleep mode correctly and all USB ports are working well (USB2 and USB3).

PS: English is not my mother tongue so I hope my writing is understandable. If anything is unclear, I would be glad to clarify.
PS2: I'm of course ready to share my SSDT-UIAC.dsl for HP 8300 if needed by anyone.

Excellent guide. Great job Trs96. Very informative and extremely helpful. I was so inspired after reading this thread that I bought a 8300 SFF to replace my current Brix.

Got a good deal on eBay, had an extra SSD, don't need a graphics card as HD4000 is fine for my needs. Got everything loaded and ready to go on my USB. Received my new toy a couple of days after xmas. Dabbled with Windows 10. Everything working ok. Re read the first couple of pages again and again as to not make any mistakes. Flashed the bios to 2.99 and now I'm stuck.

Won't boot from USB. Won't F10 back to bios. Can't F1 or F9. Restarted probably 100 times (no exaggeration). Unplugged everything, moved USB 2.0 ports, reset CMOS, removed battery, moved RAM, re created and tested USB drive, even tried VGA as a long shot.

Pressing the power button lights on, fans on minimum then 45 seconds later fans on full. Somehow after every 25th restart I get a boot screen, go back to bios, reset as instructed then to boot mode, choose UFEI, computer shuts down and starts up and thats that. Nada.

I'm thinking I must have screwed something up in bios. Been looking on eBay for a new motherboard and ordered new G.Skill ram. I've been really diligent about specifically and accurately following all directions. But now I'm stumped. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back