Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I re-installed Sierra on GA-H87N-WIFI, if I remember correctly, this needed to be booted on VGA. I installed connecting to a LCD-VGA display. then switched to HDMI after installation.
8300 doesn't have DVI or HDMI out, but it does have DP and VGA. I don't have a DP cable or DP->HDMI cable, but I do have DVI->HDMI, which is of no use. I didn't want to go buy "another cable". Now it looks like I don't have a choice, just to rule out thats not the problem :-X

Hi guys, first of all a HUGE thanks to trs96 for the guide.
I just received my used HP 8300 (using an MSI GTX 1050 Ti as GPU) and installation, following the guide, went super smooth.

Just a hint to maybe extend the BIOS setting part of the guide: When i started the initial setup my thumbdrive was not recognized as being EFI bootable but only as legacy bootable. Only after recreating the thumbdrive a second time i found that in the HP BIOS there is a specific option to deactivate USB Harddrives from being bootable through UEFI or legacy (not the general setting for UEFI/legacy compatibility). Sure enough UEFI was deactivated in my case.

Last edited:
Just a hint to maybe extend the BIOS setting part of the guide: When i started the initial setup my thumbdrive was not recognized as being EFI bootable but only as legacy bootable. Only after recreating the thumbdrive a second time i found that in the HP BIOS there is a specific option to deactivate USB Hard drives from being bootable through UEFI or legacy (not the general setting for UEFI/legacy compatibility). Sure enough UEFI was deactivated in my case.

What was the specific setting that you needed to change ?

If you look at the screenshot pictures you'll see:

Sata_Emulation.jpg

If it is a different setting than this I can add it to that step. Maybe the previous owner had some reason to disable that feature.
Or was it this setting that had been disabled ? UEFI Boot Sources - USB Hard Drive. Glad to hear that you figured it out on your own and completed the intall.

0705170646.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it could be that the graphics card is not working. I don't have a windows machine or any other machine to try this out on.

The 1050 is coming on Wednesday, so that will definitely be insightful, if it works.

You said get it working on intel graphics? It's my understanding from trs96's guide that onboard is not supported for the i5 3470 on the 6300 SFF.

So, I cannot try to get it set up that way, either?

Pleased to tell you, trs96, the 1050 is in an running so easily! Dual screen too. Life is good. Gonna work on iMessage now. Thank you for helping me!

Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 1.09.05 PM.png

Pleased to tell you, trs96, the 1050 is in an running so easily! Dual screen too. Life is good. Gonna work on iMessage now. Thank you for helping me!

View attachment 265073
You're welcome. So the PNY 630 card is defective ?

You're welcome. So the PNY 630 card is defective ?

You know, I never got to try it on windows, because I did not have a disk, nor was I able to try it on a separate windows machine.

So, I'm not sure. But I think it is helpful to tell you that it is not low profile, so the best thing to do is get a low profile card, the 1050 lp.

Just got imessage working easy, and now migrating my Macbook info! Super happy! Thanks again!

You know, I never got to try it on windows, because I did not have a disk, nor was I able to try it on a separate windows machine.

So, I'm not sure. But I think it is helpful to tell you that it is not low profile, so the best thing to do is get a low profile card, the 1050 lp.

Just got imessage working easy, and now migrating my Macbook info! Super happy! Thanks again!

Since I have the Mini-Tower version of the 6300 I went with the Gigabyte GTX 1050 full height card. The fans stay completely quiet until the GPU reaches a certain minimum temp. They have only started when I ran Unigine Heaven benchmark. Even then, I couldn't hear them over the case fans. These cards are amazingly energy efficient too.

I've replaced the GT630 in this guide with the Gigabyte GTX-1050 2GB card as it isn't that much more expensive and performs so much better. Installing the web drivers is very easy so it makes sense to use a 1050 instead. Everyone using the LP versions by MSI and Gigabyte have said positive things too.

Last edited:
Since I have the Mini-Tower version of the 6300 I went with the Gigabyte GTX 1050 full height card. The fans stay completely quiet until the GPU reaches a certain minimum temp. They have only started when I ran Unigine Heaven benchmark. Even then, I couldn't hear them over the case fans. These cards are amazingly energy efficient too.

I've replaced the GT630 in this guide with the Gigabyte GTX-1050 2GB card as it isn't that much more expensive and performs so much better. Installing the web drivers is very easy so it makes sense to use a 1050 instead. Everyone using the LP versions by MSI and Gigabyte have said positive things too.

Yes, this 1050 LP 2GB is awesome!

I am having a problem though, with the bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth Magic Mouse on restart, sounds like the one SrAnimo had in an earlier post, Page 2-3 of this thread. I am not sure if he resolved it, but I will try and get it working when the migration is finished.

Hope everyone is having a great Wednesday!

What was the specific setting that you needed to change ?

If you look at the screenshot pictures you'll see:

View attachment 265021

If it is a different setting than this I can add it to that step. Maybe the previous owner had some reason to disable that feature.
Or was it this setting that had been disabled ? UEFI Boot Sources - USB Hard Drive. Glad to hear that you figured it out on your own and completed the intall.

View attachment 265022

Oh my. I´m sorry. Seems like i overlooked it initially because the screenshot with the config is at Step 6, not at Step 3: BIOS config.
From the two you shared, it´s the second one: "Boot Order" where the options under "UEFI Boot Sources" can actually be completeley deactivated.
In my case USB Hard Drives were deactivated as UEFI Boot Source but active as Legacy Boot Source. Hence my problems booting from it and thinking i had a bad drive ;)

Rest of the install was cake thanks to your Guide. Everything is working flawlessly.
The MSI 1050Ti Low Profile works fine with the Nvidia Web Drivers and i meanwhile added the Sabrent USB Soundcard. True plug and play.
Probably the easiest and best working Hackintosh build i´ve done to date. I´m super happy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back