Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you again so much for the awesome detailed guide! I have everything working perfectly on my i3 SFF 6300 with the msi gtx 1030 (Sierra 10.12.6)

How does Sierra look on your 4K monitor ? Are you running at the native resolution ?

Yes, you can use the Gigabyte 1030. Just note that it has no DP output if that may be important to you. You'd want DP if you will ever upgrade to a 4K monitor. Ethernet will work. Don't see any reason to make a fusion drive with your current drives. It is possible to do that. Don't think it will make a difference in real world performance. Just keep macOS on the SSD and a few of the main programs you'll be using most of the time. Use the HDD for storage.
Thank you so much for your swift reply.Is there any graphic card that I can use with a 4K monitor similarly priced to GB1030 you can recommend.I am really sorry for noob questions:oops:

Thank you so much for your swift reply.Is there any graphic card that I can use with a 4K monitor similarly priced to GB1030 you can recommend.I am really sorry for noob questions

Yes, the link to the GT1030 by MSI is in Post #1 right near the top, under Grapics Cards. It has DP 1.4
71jmh6nwyiL__SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
The GTX 1030s are really nicely suited to SFF systems. The 30W TDP is what impresses me the most. This should result in a nice cool running card with decent performance.

It's definitely a better choice than the GT 745 that I'm using. The inclusion of HDMI 2.0 on the GTX 1030 means 4K@60Hz, whereas the HDMI 1.4 on my card results in subpar 4K performance.

The GTX 1030s are really nicely suited to SFF systems. The 30W TDP is what impresses me the most. This should result in a nice cool running card with decent performance.

It's definitely a better choice than the GT 745 that I'm using. The inclusion of HDMI 2.0 on the GTX 1030 means 4K@60Hz, whereas the HDMI 1.4 on my card results in subpar 4K performance.
Have to agree on the 1030. Low power draw and low price is a good combo. I got a GTX 1050 for about 5 dollars more than what the 1030 costs so I went with that instead. Makes my 27" monitor look a lot better. The DP on the MSI 1030 works better than the HDMI 2.0 with macOS as Apple support DP but not HDMI 2.0. That's why I put that brand in the recommended list for this build. With DP 1.4 direct to a 4K or 5K monitor you'll get a 60Hz refresh rate with no problems. Not sure if HDMI 2.0 will give the same results. Maybe someone with a 1030 and a 4K monitor could test that.

I would expect HDMI to be a supported output since there were MacBook Pros that had HDMI out...

I've used HDMI 2.0 on my old Mac Pro (no long own this) and my Gene build. 4K@60Hz worked fine in both instances.

When I connected my GT 745 to a 4K display, it resulted in random flickering. It was especially bad when I was testing out audio HDMI. I guess HDMI 1.4 simply didn't have enough bandwidth... I ended up testing audio over HDMI on a 1080p TV.

Edit:

I tested HDMI again just now and could not get an image at 60Hz. The connection is recognized and so is 60Hz, but no image... So, if you want 60Hz, you should go with DisplayPort.

Screen Shot 2017-08-06 at 12.44.55 PM.png

Last edited:
How does Sierra look on your 4K monitor ? Are you running at the native resolution ?

Here's my 40" 4K Phillips monitor, Sierra 6300 i7 3770 SFF GT 1030 via DP to mini DP sitting top right, Gaming Win 10 i7 3770 GTX 1070 DP to DP bottom right.

Aperture photo editing is very nice at full 4K res.

FullSizeRender 36.jpg

I've used HDMI 2.0 on my old Mac Pro (no long own this) and my Gene build. 4K@60Hz worked fine in both instances.
That's good to hear. I had read in Florian's graphics thread that DP is preferable to use with 4K monitors as the support in macOS is better for that than for HDMI 2.0. So this would mean that those with the MSI 1030 could use dual 4K monitors and get a 60Hz refresh rate from both. Pretty good for a $70 dollar graphics card. My transition to 4K is still a ways off but I'll get there eventually. For most of what I do works fine with 1080p so I have no good reason to upgrade right now.

Here's my 40" 4K Phillips monitor, Sierra 6300 i7 3770 SFF GT 1030 via DP to mini DP sitting top right, Gaming Win 10 i7 3770 GTX 1070 DP to DP bottom right.

Aperture photo editing is very nice at full 4K res.

Yes, a 4K monitor is a must have for photo work. How close do you sit to that 40" screen when editing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back