Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Motherboard
GA-Z68MX-UD2H-Clover
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Plus, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
How to I install additional drives into HP 8300 Elite MT? Where can I get those screws and the green locking brackets? Is there a simpler way? Thanks.

Motherboard
GA-Z68MX-UD2H-Clover
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Plus, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
How to I install additional drives into HP 8300 Elite MT? Where can I get those screws and the green locking brackets? Is there a simpler way? Thanks.
Thank you. How about the green plastic part that locks the drives in position? I searched and searched but cannot find such a part.

Motherboard
HP 6300 SFF-V3.08
CPU
i5-3570
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, Quadra, SE/30
Thank you. How about the green plastic part that locks the drives in position? I searched and searched but cannot find such a part.
The top row is fixed with screws from the side.
I have never seen the original green fixing parts for sale either.

Motherboard
intel
CPU
i7 3.4
Graphics
intel
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Link to download the latest BIOS .EXE file 3.08 (You must have flashed to at least 2.99) first to use this.
You'll find the 2.99 .BIN file attached at the end of this post.

Select Windows 8.1 64 Bit as your OS
View attachment 448976
Next Click on BIOS
(1) and Download the .exe file

View attachment 448978

If you don't have a Windows Install on your HP 6300/8300 you can load the K01_0308.bin file (located in the DOS Flash folder) onto a clean FAT32 USB and boot into the startup menu (ESC key) and choose the Utilities option. Follow instructions for bios update. Works very well (double check that your download is intact for that file of course).

I highly recommend you download the whole BIOS executable file from HP. You must have this if flashing to the new BIOS from within Windows.

You also have the option to use any of the stand alone .BIN files attached below at the end of this post #464.

Here's how to get the K01_0308.BIN file from the BIOS (sp95971.exe file ver. 03.08) to use with the USB method. For anyone that wants to flash the BIOS that way without needing a Windows install and HPQflash.

1. Download the BIOS .exe file for either 02.99 or 03.08 whichever you need to flash to, from the HP site.
2. Right click the file (in macOS) and select "open with" (I used the Unarchiver app from the MAS)
3. Open the folder of the extracted contents to see the DOS Flash folder inside of that.

4. Open that DOS Flash folder to find the K01_0308.BIN file. Drag that to your empty FAT32 formatted MBR partitioned flash drive. Insert the USB flash drive into one of the front HP 6300/8300 USB 2.0 ports.

5. Power on your HP and tap on the esc key to reach the Startup menu and then select Utilities, then Flash System ROM.

6. You should then see the BIOS version you are flashing to. Hit enter and follow the directions to complete the BIOS flash.
7. Let your system reboot on it's own and you're good to go.

You can still get BIOS 0304 from HP. It's located in the Previous Version section dropdown menu.

View attachment 437183

Note: The 0304.BIN file does not have all the Intel Security patches that mitigate Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities. If you want to avoid those on your system only flash up to 0304. Once 0308 is flashed you can't revert to older versions.
after downloading the bin file. Im trying to unzip using unarchiver also archive utility, just seems to make copy of folders in downloads folder instead of unzipping in order to drag file into flash Drive to flash BIOS

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Im trying to unzip using unarchiver also archive utility, just seems to make copy of folders in downloads folder instead of unzipping in order to drag file into flash Drive to flash BIOS
Once it's unzipped it will still look like a zip file, it isn't. Note the increase in size in MB. Much larger.

Screen Shot 14.jpg

Screen Shot 13.jpg
Here's how it looks unzipped. Stupid, I know.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Hp 8300 elite sff
CPU
3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics
Geforce GT710
Mobile Phone
Android
Hello all!

First time hackintosher/poster. Long time mac user, unfamiliar with all things Windows.

I'm trying to absorb the guide for Sierra and I have a question about hard drive stuff.

Specs:
HP 8300 Elite SFF
i7 3770
Geforce Gt 710
Windows 10

My HP 8300's only drive is an SSD running Windows that I'd like to use as my sole drive, running OSX only. I'm unclear on the order of the steps to format the drive and upgrade BIOS. I was planning on trying to reformat the drive using Disk Utility (although if no one has had success, I'd go with the other options in the guide I guess).

Do I reformat the drive first, and then flash BIOS? Or does wiping the drive mess up the BIOS steps?

EDIT: Perhaps it's later, when installing Sierra, that I would attempt reformating the drive?

Thanks for any advice! Excited to get started.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 9020 MT
CPU
i7-4770
Graphics
Biostar RX560
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
iBook, Performa, Plus, Power Mac, PowerBook, SE
Mobile Phone
iOS
My HP 8300's only drive is an SSD running Windows that I'd like to use as my sole drive, running OSX only. I'm unclear on the order of the steps to format the drive and upgrade BIOS. I was planning on trying to reformat the drive using Disk Utility (although if no one has had success, I'd go with the other options in the guide I guess).

Do I reformat the drive first, and then flash BIOS? Or does wiping the drive mess up the BIOS steps?

EDIT: Perhaps it's later, when installing Sierra, that I would attempt reformating the drive?

Thanks for any advice! Excited to get started.
I believe the order is to update your BIOS while you still have Windows, then after you make your installer USB, when you boot with it you can format the SSD with Disk Utility from the Installer.