Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I (seemingly) have a perfectly functional HP 8300 Elite SFF double booting with (1) MacOS installed on the first SATA SSD a while ago with this guide (2) Windows 10 on a second SATA SSD.
When you installed windows did you have the macOS drive connected to sata power and sata data ?
If you followed this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/make-a-windows-10-uefi-usb-installer.228959/#post-1557619 Windows should be installed UEFI and you then wouldn't need legacy support enabled to boot it. This is why I prefer to not have Windows and macOS booting on the same machine. Things can become a colossal mess very quickly.

Last edited:
Motherboard
HP 8300 Elite CMT
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mobile Phone
iOS
Return it and get the MSI 4GB version which doesn't need a 6 pin adapter. Even if you could power the XFX it has an incompatible with macOS BIOS that you don't want. Hope you can find the MSI.
Ok thanks, I went with it because it was $30 cheaper and burned myself.

Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7010
CPU
i7 3770S
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
When you installed windows did you have the macOS drive connected to sata power and sata data ?
If you followed this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/make-a-windows-10-uefi-usb-installer.228959/#post-1557619 Windows should be installed UEFI and you then wouldn't need legacy support enabled to boot it. This is why I prefer to not have Windows and macOS booting on the same machine. Things can become a colossal mess very quickly.
Actually, yes, I didn't unplug the first SSD in the same time. Is it an issue ?

I might reinstall windows from scratch to make sure i wont have troubles if you think it can be. Haven't used windows yet but will become part of my work computer to use windows only softs.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I didn't unplug the first SSD in the same time. Is it an issue ?
Windows will overwrite the EFI partition it sees on the macOS system drive when you are installing Windows. You always want to disconnect your macOS SSD when installing Windows. See the Multibooting forum for more on this.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7010
CPU
i7 3770S
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
So, do you think I should redo the full installation of macOS as well ?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
So, do you think I should redo the full installation of macOS as well ?
Try booting it on it's own, with the Windows drive not connected and see if it boots. You may need to reinstall Clover, FakeSMC and other necessary kexts and UEFI drivers to the EFI of that drive to get it working again.

Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7010
CPU
i7 3770S
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Try booting it on it's own, with the Windows drive not connected and see if it boots. You may need to reinstall Clover, FakeSMC and other kexts to the EFI of that drive to get it working again.
It does still work if I unplug Windows' SSD.

To be frank, I've red almost everything on the forums about this issue and I think I did all correct. My Windows installation was not legacy but UEFI, and I did not overwrite the Clover's EFI partition on disk0.
The only issue I keep having is the same as everybody on this thread and on others : if I chose Windows once on clover bootloader, it will start only booting straight to windows at each reboot. Only way to solve it is to unplug Windows SSD drive manually.

It has something to do, I guess, with the fact that Clover disapears from the booting options in the bios.

I've tried renaming the windows .efi and replacing it with clover's .efi file but without success (it basicly killed windows that could no longer boot from clover).

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
if I chose Windows once on clover bootloader, it will start only booting straight to windows at each reboot.
Do you have the name of your macOS system drive here or do you have "last booted volume."

Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7010
CPU
i7 3770S
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
No, it is Macintosh HD, the name of my macOS drive.

Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7010
CPU
i7 3770S
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
I want to start over clean, installing Windows first on a specific SSD with the over unplugged, following this guide. The thing is that if I start by making the Bios settings first, disabling legacy booting, I have only a black screen and can't do anything at boot. Windows doesn't boot, Clover doesn't boot, even my USB installers for windows or Clover don't boot. I'm forced every time to reset CMOS and go over again setting the time and date and then booting

So I really want to do everything from scratch but don't know how to do it...

EDIT : I started from the begining following the guide. Now, I'm sure the Windows is true UEFI cause it does work when secure boot is unactivated. The only troubling thing is that the screen doesn't light itself before windows is already logging itself.

But now, the true problem is that my SSD MacOS when re-plugged in is not seen by the system at all... I don't know at all what happened and I really, really start to desesperate to get this ever working...

EDIT 2 : after some unplugs, resets, etc. it finally works again but have no idea what fixed the issue.

Now, I have 2 EFI partitions I can mount : one on first SSd, one on second :

Last edited: