Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed El Capitan on my old Asus K43sj laptop and it is running great, but stuck on DSDT patching. Can you help me out?
This forum is Desktop only. Post in the Laptop forum for help with that.

Alright Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
2 Years and one Month Later
This Sierra Guide was posted on June 14th in 2017. Since then there have been over 405,000 views and tens of thousands of installs on the HP 6300/8300. I'd estimate that since the 8300 SFF is always the #1 seller on Amazon (for desktops) it's probably the most hackintoshed pre-built PC in the world. It still works great with Mojave and Catalina with HD4000 graphics or a compatible graphics card. Most Nvidia Kepler cards or AMD Polaris based cards will work perfectly. So if you've been reading this and haven't tried one yet, you can't let cost be an excuse. As I predicted the prices have steadily gone down the last two years. They can be purchased on Amazon (with an i5 and 8GB ram) for $160 or less. If you don't want to even spend that much, you can find refurbs on Ebay.com for around $90. Below is link to one from a US seller that has 4 left at the 90 dollar price. Most people pay more than this for just a new motherboard. This is the whole PC. It needs a compatible graphics card that's macOS friendly. Currently the MSI RX 560 is the best choice if you want Mojave or Catalina. There is a low profile and a full height version. Get the LP version if you get this SFF model. https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-rx-560-rx-560-4gt-lp-oc/p/N82E16814137425

If you add an Nvidia GT 710 for $40 the total cost is still only $130, amazing. You get a fully macOS and Windows compatible machine for less than the cost of a new tablet or smartphone.

Last edited:
on my HP 6300 Hackintosh running Mojave 10.14.5 when I plug my iPad into any of the USB ports it says Not Charging. Is there anything I need to change to the USB kext files for it to recognise and charge the iPad through USB? I have followed this guide and haven't changed any other kext files. Just wondering if there is some update to fix this

I got my HP8300 USDT from eBay and - yes! - there are always some great options out there. Another one right now is: i7-3770S USDT with 8G for $120 . My i5-3475s USDT with the HD4000 graphics is just working great with Mojave (that i7 has the HD4000 graphics as well). Sleep/Wake, USB 3.0 ports, great Wifi speed with this really cheap adapter and solid Bluetooth with this one - I continue to be very pleased.

Also - I now use chris1111's Wifi USB Utility - it seems to work with anything that has a Realtek driver. I also looked at corpnewt's USBMap utility (a great way to help you build a custom SSDT) but - for me - USBInjectAll.kext is working perfectly without a custom mapping.

Last edited:
on my HP 6300 Hackintosh running Mojave 10.14.5 when I plug my iPad into any of the USB ports it says Not Charging. Is there anything I need to change to the USB kext files for it to recognise and charge the iPad through USB? I have followed this guide and haven't changed any other kext files. Just wondering if there is some update to fix this
The simple option is to plug the iPad into a wall outlet with an adapter to charge it.
The more involved way is to perform a clean install by following Sniki's UEFI hotpatching guide.
You'll want to use a newer version of Clover than the RehabMan version mentioned in that guide.
Important note: You can't expect success if you mix and match parts of my guide with the UEFI hotpatch guide
for this HP. You'll need to follow one or the other 100 %. So if charging via USB is important, test out Sniki's
guide with a clean SSD or HDD and keep your current one as a backup.

When I wrote this simple beginner's guide back in 2017 I didn't include the more advanced techniques of UEFI hot patching and custom SSDTs. Those give a higher level of fine tuning and refinement so that things like charging an iPad via a USB port will work.

Last edited:
The simple option is to plug the iPad into a wall outlet with an adapter to charge it.
The more involved way is to perform a clean install by following Sniki's UEFI hotpatching guide.
You'll want to use a newer version of Clover than the RehabMan version mentioned in that guide.
Important note: You can't expect success if you mix and match parts of my guide with the UEFI hotpatch guide
for this HP. You'll need to follow one or the other 100 %. So if charging via USB is important, test out Sniki's
guide with a clean SSD or HDD and keep your current one as a backup.

When I wrote this simple beginner's guide back in 2017 I didn't include the more advanced techniques of UEFI hot patching and custom SSDTs. Those give a higher level of fine tuning and refinement so that things like charging an iPad via a USB port will work.

Thanks @trs96. Its not just charging I want to do. I use a screen casting app (Screenflow), where if I plug an iOS device in via USB, I can screencast the device as well. The problem is when I plug it into a USB port on the 6300, it just says 'Not Charging' on the device and Screenflow doesn't detect the device.

I'm going to run a backup, and then try go through and build a custom SSDT via ReHab's guide. Thanks. Looks quite complex, I hope it works :)

I'm going to run a backup, and then try go through and build a custom SSDT via ReHab's guide.
These Ivy Bridge based Q77 desktops come in under the 15 port limit so no need to disable any of the ports. There is a power property SSDT that you will need along with the USB SSDT for everything to work. Makes sense to use Sniki's guide and repo as all the work is already done for you. Have a look at it.

Last edited:
Black Screen after apple logo sapphire rx580 nitro+:

I have a bit of an odd situation I recently purchased an rx580 hearing that it has native macOS support and that it was plug n' play, but it hasn't turned out true.

I have a modded hp compaq elite 8300cmt with an upgraded psu that has worked in previous configurations with nvidia cards.
Currently running High Sierra 10.13.6 with current clover download
Card works great on my windows partition

I've gone through several tutorials on how to fix it, none have been helpful.
The closest issue I've seen has been on asus boards where you need to disable the csm.
However disabling legacy boot, the closest thing I could find to csm, causes my monitor to not respond at all even before the clover boot loader.

any ideas? I was wondering if anyone has had similiar issues with installing the rx560?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back