Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I strongly suspect Im missing something essential to understanding sound on hackintoshes - Ive had (very) little success (ever) and here dont seem to be seeing expected outcomes.

If I double click on the VoodooHDA.prefPane - I get a popup that says 'You cant Install the "VoodooHDA" preferences. "VoodooHDA" preferences is installed with macOS and can't be replaced.' If I then copy over the file to /S/L/PreferencePanes I'm asked to provide the admin password and it copies over fine. After a reboot nothing new appears in system preferences.

It would be much simpler if the Multibeast 2.8.8 choice would successfully install the kext but it doesn't. Not sure why that is. It does install the prefpane for VHDA successfully. This is why the 2.8.8 pkg installer from Sourceforge is used in this guide. That installs the 2.8.8 kext successfully but does not install the prefPane though. :crazy: I'll try and do some more testing to find a better way to do this step #9.

In the mean time you can try this fix. Remove everything Voodoo HDA related. All the kexts and apps. The prefpane is installed in: /System/Library/PreferencePanes you can use the showallfiles app to reveal the hidden System folder.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/showallfiles.142/

Then run M.Beast and select 2.8.8 under the Universal audio section. Reboot and then trash the VoodooHDA app from applications. Run the pkg installer, reboot and see if you have the prefPane in System Prefs. Make the adjustment on input gain and it should fix the issue.

Last edited:
Ok. That seems to be working. Not certain about HDMI but thats because Im unsure of the monitor not the settings - more on this when I can get hold of another monitor.

I deleted /S/L/E voodooHDA.kext and AppleHDADisabler.kext, S/L/PrefPane/VoodooHDA.prefpane. Checked the EFI partition and found nothing there relating

Installed 2.8.8 from MB and followed instructions in your last paragraph - lowering input gain on Speaker (Analogue) gets rid of the clicks.

Thanks for taking the time to get me through this but Im not sure if you are any wiser re this and the 710. Ive asked a friend to pop over with another monitor and will get back to you in the next couple of days with how that goes.

Many thanks
n

Audio Poll
I've added a poll at the beginning of the guide and the top of each page, so have a look at that if you have a minute. The solutions for audio on one of these builds has proven to be the most complicated part of the post install. I'd like to get an idea of what is working and being used by the majority of HP CustoMac owners. Thanks for participating !

Last edited:
Audio Poll
I've added a poll at the beginning of the guide and the top of each page, so have a look at that if you have a minute. The solutions for audio on one of these builds has proven to be the most complicated part of the post install. I'd like to get an idea of what is working and being used by the majority of HP CustoMac owners. Thanks for participating !
I've got recently another 8300 and successfully installed VD 2.8.8 on it with all outputs working. On first HP build I have 2.9.0 working as well, but I installed it to both /L/E and S/L/E.

I've spent an hour uninstalling and installing 2.8.8 kext and the prefpane on my 8300 i7. I was never able to get the analog option to show up. Maybe I should stick to the USB Audio stick. :(

@secretmak
What are you using to install the kext?
Where are you installing to?

Check to see if you have AppleHDADisabler kext in either /S/L/E or /L/E.
If not then install it in /L/E with Kextbeast.

Last edited:
Re - AppleHDADisabler.kext - when does this get installed? If it's there before we start this process does it interfere?

Re - AppleHDADisabler.kext - when does this get installed? If it's there before we start this process does it interfere?
It is needed for analog audio to work. I've found the best approach is to use Kextbeast and to install it to /L/E. Also use the 2.9.0 kext attached to post #1. Other than that all you may need is to install the prefpane for VoodooHDA.

Last edited:
Might I ask a favour? Would you have a look in your /s/l/e folder to confirm AppleHDADisabler.kext is not there.

Might I ask a favour? Would you have a look in your /s/l/e folder to confirm AppleHDADisabler.kext is not there.

I have that kext in /L/E. Had forgotten about that move I made. You can install it manually with Kextbeast just like 2.9.0.

Apple recommends all 3rd party kexts go in /L/E for Sierra, not in S/L/E. I'll add that addition to step 9. Good catch. The analog audio does not work without the disabler kext. HDMI will though. If you leave 3rd party kexts like these in /S/L/E they will probably be wiped out when/if you update to High Sierra. This way, you don't have to remember to reinstall those later on.

If there was a pkg installer file that did everything we need successfully I'd have that in the guide. Unfortunately their isn't one that does everything to make audio, HDMI + Analog work correctly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back