Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post... first hackintosh.

Great experience so far.

Bought an HP 6300 Pro, i7 3770, tossed in a 256GB SSD, swapped out stock 4GB ram for 16GB, updated Bios.

Followed guide, have Sierra installed. All went smoothly. Awaiting USB Sabrent Audio adapter, IO Gear USB Bluetooth adapter, arrival of MSI GT 1030 LP video card (expected next week).

In the meantime, have been using onboard video, the HD4000... which works as long as I do not Inject Intel with Clover (have tried various Platform-ID options without success)... via VGA to a TV at 1368x768. System reports 3MB vram, not exactly smooth graphic effects. Aware that getting any VGA is pretty voodoo.

Have not been able to get my 4K monitor to detect output from the displayport.

Doesn't seem to be any integrated graphics setting options in the HP Bios.

Anyone have any suggestions on HD4000 VGA / display port?

Thanks.

There is an integrated video option in the BIOS. It's under the Advanced tab > Device Options.

0713171450.jpg

Should be on if you've only got HD4000.

HD4000 is fully supported by macOS Sierra. Works OOB. No need to set a different ig-platorm id. It can't do 4K though. You'd have to scale down the resolution to something it's capable of.

2560 X 1600 is the best you can do from your integrated graphics. Your soon to be 1030 should be able to produce a 4K @ 60Hz picture. Are you using DP to DP in on your monitor or using a DP to HDMI adapter ?

Give up on VGA and disconnect the cable from your HP. The guide makes it clear that it is a dead end with no support in macOS. Use it only with Windows.

Last edited:
There is an integrated video option in the BIOS. It's under the Advanced tab > Device Options.

Should be on if you've only got HD4000.

HD4000 is fully supported by macOS Sierra. Works OOB. No need to set a different ig-platorm id. It can't do 4K though. You'd have to scale down the resolution to something it's capable of.

2560 X 1600 is the best you can do from your integrated graphics. Your soon to be 1030 should be able to produce a 4K @ 60Hz picture. Are you using DP to DP in on your monitor or using a DP to HDMI adapter ?

Give up on VGA and disconnect the cable from your HP. The guide makes it clear that it is a dead end with no support in macOS. Use it only with Windows.

Thanks

Yup, saw the Device Options - Integrated Graphics shows up (greyed out) as Enabled - and no configuration is possible.

Sierra reports 3MB graphics.

Any thoughts on why booting fails with Inject Intel as per guide?

Only by disabling Inject Intel can I get Sierra to load, and perhaps that's why the HD4000 seems like it's currently underperforming?

With the TV, VGA works. With the monitor (a Phillips 40" 4K), with various DP to DP cables, the monitor just reports "No Input" and goes to sleep.

I'm sure it'll all improve with the GT 1030.

Last edited:
Were these temps with the Gigabyte card and your heat sink rotated 90 degrees in a 6300?

Any idea if power management has been needed to keep the temps down?

Debating if I should return the card for a low profile, or if I should just rotate heat sink w\ power management.

Thanks!
CPU Temps of the I5-3470
View attachment 263851
At idle averages from 30-32 degrees C
I have run Pike's script for CPU power management ssdtPRGen for my I5-3470.

and placed the SSDT in:

/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/

See: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/quick-guide-to-generate-a-ssdt-for-cpu-power-management.177456/

If you have the same I5-3470 you can use my attached SSDT.aml for your system.
If not follow the guide I've linked to above to create an SSDT for your CPU.

Power management is not mandatory but it's a good idea to implement it.

Were these temps with the Gigabyte card and your heat sink rotated 90 degrees in a 6300?

Any idea if power management has been needed to keep the temps down?

Debating if I should return the card for a low profile, or if I should just rotate heat sink w\ power management.

Thanks!
Yes, those were taken with the altered CPU placement so it doesn't seem to make a difference. Which graphics card are you trying to install ? Do you have the mini-tower or the SFF ? I had also applied a new coat of thermal paste before I switched around the CPU cooler. I hadn't tested it without PM implemented so I don't know what difference that makes.

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 with 6300 mini tower. I'm going to apply new thermal paste as well.

Just for curiosity I'm going to keep an eye on the temp under load without PM, assuming a max temp of 67C.

Yes, those were taken with the altered CPU placement so it doesn't seem to make a difference. Which graphics card are you trying to install ? Do you have the mini-tower or the SFF ? I had also applied a new coat of thermal paste before I switched around the CPU cooler. I hadn't tested it without PM implemented so I don't know what difference that makes.

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 with 6300 mini tower. I'm going to apply new thermal paste as well.
Just for curiosity I'm going to keep an eye on the temp under load without PM, assuming a max temp of 67C.
These are really well designed desktops. Haven't heard anyone yet say they had overheating problems, even with long gaming sessions. The GA 1050 GPU also stays quite cool so that shouldn't be a problem either.

If you want to return it for the single fan (6.8 inch long) version of this card it is available at Amazon for about $120

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MEGB6LK/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

81fxbDQCeSL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Change to the BIOS configuration section of the Guide
Just in case you haven't checked the Guide on page one lately, I've revised Step 3 to make it easier to configure the BIOS. It now shows how to properly restore to Factory Defaults and then only disabling of Serial Port A is required. I also added an optional setting to make the Clover Bootloader screen look normal. Check it out if you've got a minute.

6. Only for Nvidia graphics cards that require the web drivers: The GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti are two examples.

Advanced → Option Rom → Video Option Rom → UEFI Only - Press the F10 key to accept the change. Save and Exit.
Makes your Clover Bootloader screen look normal, not stretched and distorted. If your monitor is 1080p the Clover Bootloader will be displayed at 1080p also.

7. Save changes and exit once you are done changing BIOS settings.

I made this change on advice of this post and it has worked great....until today.

Previously I've been using a single monitor setup (via DP port) and this setting has been fine. However over the weekend I've added a second monitor to my setup (via DVI or HDMI) for a dual display configuration. Unfortunately with this second monitor my 8300 will not boot up properly (i.e. no initial login screen appears) and I have to hard reset the entire machine.

Changing this BIOS setting back to "Legacy" enables my 8300 to boot up properly and support both monitors. With the "UEFI Only" setting it will not boot up. Strangely if I boot up with only a single monitor plugged in (in "UEFI only" mode) and then plug in the second monitor once logged in, the second monitor will display and work properly. However if I then reboot, the same issue occurs with the boot up being unsuccessful.

I didn't bother taking a close look at the verbose boot logs but did notice that the boot hang up occurs after the verbose logging has already disappeared from the screen.

In any case YMMV - this may be due to my particular setup and may not be representative of other 8300 installs.

"Having the Clover bootloader screen display at full resolution is just cosmetic, it looks nicer but that's about it. So leave the Video Option Rom setting on Legacy if you'll use dual monitors. It can cause boot up issues." Thanks @mlai for sharing your experience with this setup. I'll add your findings to the BIOS config part of the guide.

Last edited:
I made this change on advice of this post and it has worked great....until today.

Previously I've been using a single monitor setup (via DP port) and this setting has been fine. However over the weekend I've added a second monitor to my setup (via DVI or HDMI) for a dual display configuration. Unfortunately with this second monitor my 8300 will not boot up properly (i.e. no initial login screen appears) and I have to hard reset the entire machine.

Changing this BIOS setting back to "Legacy" enables my 8300 to boot up properly and support both monitors. With the "UEFI Only" setting it will not boot up. Strangely if I boot up with only a single monitor plugged in (in "UEFI only" mode) and then plug in the second monitor once logged in, the second monitor will display and work properly. However if I then reboot, the same issue occurs with the boot up being unsuccessful.

I didn't bother taking a close look at the verbose boot logs but did notice that the boot hang up occurs after the verbose logging has already disappeared from the screen.

In any case YMMV - this may be due to my particular setup and may not be representative of other 8300 installs.

I am dual screen. I can confirm this and went back to the original settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back