Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

P1LGRIM

Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation p300 ⌘
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok question. Is this fairly easy? I will CCC my current installation and then restore it to the new 480GB SSD I just received. Do you have steps on how to then install the "Clover bootloader and the rest of the existing EFI folder to the new SSD" please? Still super new to list but can follow step by step instructions haha.
Before you clone the drive mount the EFI partition and copy the /EFI folder and contents to the desktop.
Unmount the EFI partition.
Clone the drive.
Mount the EFI partition of the clone.
Copy the /EFI folder and contents from the desktop to the EFI partition of the clone.
Edit the config.plist on the EFI partition of the clone so that it boots from the right drive.
Shutdown.
Remove the original drive.
Boot from the clone.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Ok question. Is this fairly easy? I will CCC my current installation and then restore it to the new 480GB SSD I just received. Do you have steps on how to then install the "Clover bootloader and the rest of the existing EFI folder to the new SSD" please? Still super new to list but can follow step by step instructions haha.
If you want the simplest, quickest, easiest etc. way then just copy your entire 120 GB SSD EFI flolder to a flash drive or the desktop of your current boot drive. Make the CCC backup then paste the EFI folder to the EFI partition of the new 480 GB drive after you've mounted the EFI partition of that new SSD. Use either EFI mounter V3 or Clover configurator, either will work. Then test that the cloned drive is bootable.

BTW did you get the Nvidia drivers working with the 1050 Ti ?

Motherboard
HP 8300 Elite CMT
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
BTW did you get the Nvidia drivers working with the 1050 Ti ?

Yes I did, thank you. I used a terminal command someone posted that downloaded the driver and now it is working fine. Only thing though is in the About This Mac screen it says "Zotac Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 256MB" instead of "Zotac Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB". Is this something to be concerned with or just a funny reporting but the system is still using 4GB.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Yes I did, thank you. I used a terminal command someone posted that downloaded the driver and now it is working fine. Only thing though is in the About This Mac screen it says "Zotac Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 256MB" instead of "Zotac Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB". Is this something to be concerned with or just a funny reporting but the system is still using 4GB.
How do you know that all 4GB is available ?

Motherboard
HP 8300 Elite CMT
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
How do you know that all 4GB is available ?

I guess I don't, I thought About This Mac reports the Make and Model of video card, listing total memory correct? My MSI GT 710 2GB listed exactly like that and since this card has 4GB I expected it to list 4GB correct?

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I guess I don't, I thought About This Mac reports the Make and Model of video card, listing total memory correct? My MSI GT 710 2GB listed exactly like that and since this card has 4GB I expected it to list 4GB correct?
Correct. It should show 4 GB there.

Motherboard
HP 8300 Elite CMT
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So since it doesn't what should I do? It shows correctly when I boot into my Windows SSD.

Motherboard
HP 8300 Elite CMT
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Before you clone the drive mount the EFI partition and copy the /EFI folder and contents to the desktop.
Unmount the EFI partition.
Clone the drive.
Mount the EFI partition of the clone.
Copy the /EFI folder and contents from the desktop to the EFI partition of the clone.
Edit the config.plist on the EFI partition of the clone so that it boots from the right drive.
Shutdown.
Remove the original drive.
Boot from the clone.

Ok I cloned the drive to the new drive, used Clover Configuartor, mounted current EFI, copied it, mounted new drives EFI, pasted EFI (there was none there), shut down, disconnected original drive, booting into BIOS to make sure it is booting from new SSD, saved and excited and booted nicely into macOS. I didn't have to edit config.plist, will this cause problems?

Hooking up Windows SSD now.

P1LGRIM

Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation p300 ⌘
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok I cloned the drive to the new drive, used Clover Configuartor, mounted current EFI, copied it, mounted new drives EFI, pasted EFI (there was none there), shut down, disconnected original drive, booting into BIOS to make sure it is booting from new SSD, saved and excited and booted nicely into macOS. I didn't have to edit config.plist, will this cause problems?
If your clone has the same name as the original or you do not require Clover to boot automatically then no edits are required.

Motherboard
HP 8300
CPU
I7-3770
Graphics
GTX 1030
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Plus
  4. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Sorry if i missed this with searching, but has anyone here with an 8300 able to do the 10.12 2018-001 security update without any issues?