Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6300 Pro / HP 8300 Elite - A 100 percent Working and Easily Affordable CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you got the last one. That's a very good price for that card.

Looks like I'll be keeping this one for future builds lol.

I just also got my card from Aliexpress - except a different version, which still looks to be available:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WTX...32815001639.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.gMW4oe

Works great OOB, bluetooth and AC wifi. "Only" three aerials, but no issues so far. Of note the LP bracket wasn't in the box. No issue for me because I have the CMT with full width slots, but would have been frustrating if I used the version that needs the LP bracket.

I just also got my card from Aliexpress - except a different version, which still looks to be available:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WTX...32815001639.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.gMW4oe

Works great OOB, bluetooth and AC wifi. "Only" three aerials, but no issues so far. Of note the LP bracket wasn't in the box. No issue for me because I have the CMT with full width slots, but would have been frustrating if I used the version that needs the LP bracket.
The one Homer got is an iMac Wifi/BT card and yours is from a Macbook Pro. That's why yours has only 3 antennae. Should still work just as well. I've also seen those for sale on Ebay for about 3 dollars more.

I'm going to need some help with my 6300 SFF. I have already done the install on it for Sierra, back then I used to have a simple 1080p monitor, so everything worked fine. I now own a Dell S2716DG and get this now when booting the system:

EEfhtXv.jpg

Upgraded to High Sierra and still have the same problem. I have been able to boot fine disabling injectintel in the Clover menu, but then I only gey 720P resolution with no QE/CE.
I don't have a dedicated graphics card, just the integrated HD 4000 the i5 3475S.

I have an 8300 am using the onboard HD 4000 graphics and also have a QHD (2560 x 1440) monitor that has worked perfectly for me in both Sierra and High Sierra. I'm using DisplayPort - DisplayPort connection. I did not do anything "fancy" with Clover, I just followed the guides on this site. I didn't have to do anything with injectintel ? How are you connecting the monitor?

Appreciate that doesn't help much, but it sounds like your hardware should work.

First, I have to start by thanking trs96 for writing such a thorough guide and providing a place for 6300/8300 owners to come with questions.

About 4 years ago, I successfully hackintoshed a Samsung laptop and was able to get almost all the features working. Not long after, however, I came across a great deal on a new MacBook Air and that has been my primary machine. I mostly use it for web browsing, Microsoft Office work, and occasional photo editing in Adobe Lightroom. To this day it still runs great for those purposes, but with only 4GB of RAM installed, it's definitely not up to every task I've thrown at it.

For Christmas, my wife bought me a new drone and I've had a great time with it. My only problem is that editing video footage using Final Cut Pro on the MacBook Air is just so slow. The mobile i5 processor and 4GB of RAM make 4k editing impossible and even 1080 a chore.

So I decided that it was time to purchase a new desktop (something I haven't owned in 10 years), but I didn't want to spend a lot. We are set for an international move soon and are planning to buy a house. So, for now, the $1500+ i7-8700k dream build I had in mind is going to have to wait. I decided it was time to look at cheaper options, both to get my feet wet with a Hackintosh build and to have a machine capable of light video editing at 1080p (and maybe 4k using proxies).

This week I found an 8300 Elite SFF with an i7-3770, 16GB RAM, and 1.0TB HD for $180 plus shipping. I think that's a pretty good deal, just based upon the parts alone. A friend of mine was nice enough to give me an MSI GT710 2GB LP graphics card. I know that it is not ideal for video editing, but it will allow me to get started until I can buy a GTX 1050 TI (which seems to be the best card that this MB will support). I also have a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD that I will be using as my boot/install drive. This should hopefully speed things along. This weekend I will be checking out some of the local shops that sell computer parts to see if I can snag a monitor for a decent price.

As far as Bluetooth/wifi, I am considering this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-B...985234?hash=item1a3a3953d2:g:qbAAAOSwlzRaVuPX - This chipset should work natively, right? It's a little more expensive than the Chinese options, but the vendor is located in USA, so I won't have to wait a month to receive it.

Any other things I am overlooking or things to consider? I appreciate all of the work that has gone in to this post!

I forgot I did have one question before beginning. Is it better to install Sierra first (as it is better documented on these machines) and then upgrade to High Sierra, or can I go direct with a High Sierra install?

First, I have to start by thanking trs96 for writing such a thorough guide and providing a place for 6300/8300 owners to come with questions.

About 4 years ago, I successfully hackintoshed a Samsung laptop and was able to get almost all the features working. Not long after, however, I came across a great deal on a new MacBook Air and that has been my primary machine. I mostly use it for web browsing, Microsoft Office work, and occasional photo editing in Adobe Lightroom. To this day it still runs great for those purposes, but with only 4GB of RAM installed, it's definitely not up to every task I've thrown at it.

For Christmas, my wife bought me a new drone and I've had a great time with it. My only problem is that editing video footage using Final Cut Pro on the MacBook Air is just so slow. The mobile i5 processor and 4GB of RAM make 4k editing impossible and even 1080 a chore.

So I decided that it was time to purchase a new desktop (something I haven't owned in 10 years), but I didn't want to spend a lot. We are set for an international move soon and are planning to buy a house. So, for now, the $1500+ i7-8700k dream build I had in mind is going to have to wait. I decided it was time to look at cheaper options, both to get my feet wet with a Hackintosh build and to have a machine capable of light video editing at 1080p (and maybe 4k using proxies).

This week I found an 8300 Elite SFF with an i7-3770, 16GB RAM, and 1.0TB HD for $180 plus shipping. I think that's a pretty good deal, just based upon the parts alone. A friend of mine was nice enough to give me an MSI GT710 2GB LP graphics card. I know that it is not ideal for video editing, but it will allow me to get started until I can buy a GTX 1050 TI (which seems to be the best card that this MB will support). I also have a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD that I will be using as my boot/install drive. This should hopefully speed things along. This weekend I will be checking out some of the local shops that sell computer parts to see if I can snag a monitor for a decent price.

As far as Bluetooth/wifi, I am considering this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-B...985234?hash=item1a3a3953d2:g:qbAAAOSwlzRaVuPX - This chipset should work natively, right? It's a little more expensive than the Chinese options, but the vendor is located in USA, so I won't have to wait a month to receive it.

Any other things I am overlooking or things to consider? I appreciate all of the work that has gone in to this post!

I bought the same spec machine and am very pleased with it. For sure use the SSD. The i7-3770 has integrated HD4000 graphics (which I currently use), but I assume thats a lot worse than a GT710. I've got the same bluetooth/wifi (I think..) which I got out of Asia and it works great, natively OOB.

I'm waiting for 10.13.4 to install a Radeon RX560, which should be natively supported and great improvement in FCP performance.

Good luck and enjoy :)

I forgot I did have one question before beginning. Is it better to install Sierra first (as it is better documented on these machines) and then upgrade to High Sierra, or can I go direct with a High Sierra install?
I've done both.
My first 8300 was Sierra, then months later upgrade to High Sierra. Worked fine.
My subsequent 8300 was direct to High Sierra, with no issues. Suggest this way, as then no need to upgrade :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back