Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6200 Pro / 8200 Elite SFF Desktop - macOS Sierra / High Sierra Install Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still haven't figured out whatever to go for the 1GB or the 2GB version of MSI GT 710.
I'm not a gamer and my compaq 6200 will just be a hobby project.
I have heard that the 2GB variant is able to play x265 and 4K? Is that true for the 1GB version too?

In Denmark the cheapest MSI GT 710 1GB costs about 50$ whereas the 2GB version is closer to 60$.

i am using the HDMI to use the tv set. I got 1080p working even if it doesnt go to the edges of the tvset screen (i guess it is something related to the tv). I used the Kextbeast app, which installed itself, but did not put the two kext in L/E. So I installed the two kext manually. I still have the sound icon greyed with no sound card choice. Another idea?

Edit. Sorry, did not see that the kext should have to be on the desktop. Installed in the /System/L/E and it now works. Thanks

Hello!

I too have same system as yours with GeForce GT 710.
I got the High Sierra working with Audio as internal speaker. The HDMI audio doesn't work
even after installing the Nvidia web drivers.

Also, I got the GPU recognized but I still get sluggish graphics when loading some of the websites.

How did you fix your graphics?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

First of all thanks for this truly useful guide.
I have years of experience with Windows and recently I started using Linux as well but I never ever used any Mac Os before turning my beloved 8200 into an Hackintosh.

I have an 8200 and two 8300's that will be trasformed as well as soon as I buy a new GT 1030.

There are new Bios available for both of these machines, I have updated the 8200 to the 2.31 rev. A version of the Bios distribuited by HP and everything is working fine BUT there's a thing that needs to be stated: versions 2.29 and 2.31 of the 8200's Bios work well for both Mac and Windows but for the latter they introduce an annoying delay (almost a minute) when booting/rebooting. It can be fixed but Bitlocker encryption must be disabled in the Bios. So, to cut a long story short, whoever uses dualboot with windows and needs Bitlocker encryption should stick to Bios version 2.28. Also keep in mind that version 2.29 and 2.31 are non-reversible so think twice before flashing them.

Another curiosity I learned from my mistakes: I've been able to install Sierra on my 8200 using a VGA monitor because I made a mistake and did not select the correct Mac version (iMac 12.2). Apparently iMac Apple with iMac 14.2 is supporting VGA again??

Anyway thanks again to everybody who contribuited to this amazing guide.

Another curiosity I learned from my mistakes: I've been able to install Sierra on my 8200 using a VGA monitor because I made a mistake and did not select the correct Mac version (iMac 12.2). Apparently iMac Apple with iMac 14.2 is supporting VGA again??
Glad to hear the guide was useful to you. You said you could install Sierra. Were you still able to use VGA post install after installing Clover to the boot drive ? Did you use onboard VGA or VGA output from a graphics card ? What resolution did you get and did you have any graphics acceleration ? I know that newer iMacs do not support VGA at all so this is strange to hear.

Glad to hear the guide was useful to you. You said you could install Sierra. Were you still able to use VGA post install after installing Clover to the boot drive ? Did you use onboard VGA or VGA output from a graphics card ? What resolution did you get and did you have any graphics acceleration ? I know that newer iMacs do not support VGA at all so this is strange to hear.

First time I installed Sierra I used my Gt 710 with a DVI monitor, then I change room and switched monitor with this Philips 19" that only has VGA and it all worked fine. I was able to boot reboot from the hard disk after using Multibeast .

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 07.57.24.png Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 07.57.38.png Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 08.01.01.png

Since I had the usual problems with post installation (sound and power management) I reinstalled everything from the beginning using the GT710 VGA's output and since I did the same mistake (leaving Imac 14.2 in Multibeast) everything was still working fine.

Third time reinstall from scratch, this time choosing the Imacs 12.2 in Multibeast and now the VGA, as expected, is not working anymore.

Looks like it is working at a 1400 x 900 resolution, that may have something to do with it. Wonder if it would work at 1080p. What is the specific brand of GT710 that you are using ? That is good news for those that only have an older analog monitor without a digital connection. If you upgrade to High Sierra let us know if it still works.

Looks like it is working at a 1400 x 900 resolution, that may have something to do with it. Wonder if it would work at 1080p. What is the specific brand of GT710 that you are using ? That is good news for those that only have an older analog monitor without a digital connection. If you upgrade to High Sierra let us know if it still works.

My card is a MSI Geforce GT 710 1GB.

Installing Sierra with an SSD is so easy and fast that I might do it all again from the start keeping the 14.2 /VCA version, testing 1080 resolution and then updating to High Sierra.
If I do, I'll definitely let you know the results.

##### EDIT ######

1440 x 900 is the highest resolution I can get with Sierra through the VGA port of my GT710.
Sierra + internal speaker sound = ok
Only need to fix power management.

Updating to High Sierra didn't work (white screen)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back