Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP 6200 Pro / 8200 Elite SFF Desktop - macOS Sierra / High Sierra Install Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to use LP ram just normal height without tall heatsinks on it.
I've never tested Kingston ram in one of these. It may work if the ram timings are the same. You'd have to try it and see.
If you go with the 8300 model don't buy slower 1333 MHz ram get the 1600 MHz instead.
Thanks for the help.

I'm gonna look around for some 8300's and will move across to the other thread on that. Thanks for the help.

Here's an example for anyone interested in this approach of an 8300 mobo in an 8200 CMT case.

HP 8200 CMT on Ebay.com

buy one of these for about 85 dollars. Take out the 8200 motherboard and replace it with an 8300 CMT board. Install a core i5 or i7 Ivy Bridge CPU and you've got your 8300. Sell the 8200 mobo and I3 CPU that you've removed to recover some of the cost.

The HP 8300 CMT boards sell for 20-30 dollars on Ebay. It's a fairly simple process to swap the motherboards in these. Look on Youtube for videos on how to do this.

Last edited:
Use VoodooHDA 2.9.0 and the disabler kext. Works flawlessly and quickly. I've heard others report sleep problems with High Sierra and this hardware. If you figure it out, post your approach to resolving that. I no longer own the 8200 so I'm not able to try and fix that.

My connection is DVI cable from GeForce210 to Dell monitor with No speakers.
My external speaker is plug into the rear analogue jack.

Tried VoodooHDA 2.9.0 and diabler kext. Reboot no sound at rear jack. Tried a few times with same result.

Also let computer sleep for longer time, until I saw the front LED stop blinking (then it turned off totally), after that, moving mouse or tapping keyboard did make the computer take some power ( I had power meter on the main to view real time), front LED blinking for quite a while , indicating computer is working, however, there is no display... so it did not want to wake up.
The only solution is power reset.

Last edited:
The HP 8300 CMT boards sell for 20-30 dollars on Ebay. It's a fairly simple process to swap the motherboards in these. Look on Youtube for videos on how to do this.

Saw an used HP8300 CMT i7-3770, 8G Ram ,500G HDD, HD4000 graphic going for USD300 here.
Another Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 92, i7-3770, 8GRAM , 1TB HDD, AMD Radeon HD7400 graphic also going for USD300.

I started reading the Guide on HP8300 knowing it works like a real Mac, any idea if Lenovo would also work?

Tried VoodooHDA 2.9.0 and diabler kext. Reboot no sound at rear jack. Tried a few times with same result.
Did you make the correct selection in System Preferences -> Sound -> Outuput ?
Also, plug some headphones into the front right headphone jack and see if those appear as an option.

indicating computer is working, however, there is no display... so it did not want to wake up. The only solution is power reset.
This is normal with these HP machines and High Sierra. It didn't happen with Sierra so it's due to changes in macOS. Best solution may be to use shutdown instead of sleep. These boot up fast if your system drive is an SSD.

I started reading the Guide on HP8300 knowing it works like a real Mac, any idea if Lenovo would also work?
Don't give up on your 8200 that quickly. I've never owned a Lenovo so no idea on that.

Don't give up on your 8200 that quickly
Thanks for the encouragement. After all I can live without sleep function but sound is a must have.

Today I have one fluke reboot, the sound icon on top right side of the Main manual appeared, so I select Line-out (Green Rear) and had a brief enjoyment of sound from external speakers, albeit with a much softer volume when compared with standard Win7's sound.

I knew somehow it was just a fluke shot. Upon next two reboot, sound selection changed. Line-out no longer available.
The available output device are:

Digital-out (HDMI)
Digital-out (HDMI)
Digital-out (HDMI)
Digital-out (HDMI)
Apple TV

and sound icon is greyed out.

Haha, what a long journey.. :) must enjoy the learning process..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 9.32.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 9.32.18 AM.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Did you make the correct selection in System Preferences -> Sound -> Outuput ?
Also, plug some headphones into the front right headphone jack and see if those appear as an option.
Yes on the one fluke boot.

Other than that, all the time Line-out does not appear as a selection and sound icon greyed out.

I decided to try install Sierra just so I can run with a working 'sleep function' and to compare with High Sierra, I have not done this step in High Sierra so it is new to me.

I am at this step:

Note: If you have an HP 6200/8200 with the i5-2400 you will need to use an ssdt.aml file to enable CPU power management.
Find one attached below. Place the .aml file into /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ For the i5-2500 or i7-2600 CPU you should generate your own with Piker Alpha's script. See the guide: Generate an SSDT. This will help enable speed stepping and CPU power management. Without it you won't get turbo boost or more than about three of the lower p-states, up to only about 2.2 GHz.

For a long while I could not figure out how to "place the .aml file into the said folder'.
After much googling and finally took a lead from step below:
install clover configurator and run it , mount EFI partition, as so on...

Now when I reach /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ folder I saw an existing file SSDT-SB-i5.aml, what to do with it? Can the old file and a new SSDT.aml file coexist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back