Contribute
Register

GUIDE: how2 use WOL to wake hacky from outside local network

Status
Not open for further replies.
natdeamer said:
Can't get wake up working via PME.
And no option in my bios for WOL with my current motherboard.

Going to give up with this setup and try again when I update to my i7 :)

Small update, got WOL working with my Gigabyte EP45.

1. Install windows....
2. Go to device manager
3. Right click the network card -> Properties
4. Advanced Tab
5. Property: Network Address -> I had to put my MAC address in here manually.

Now WOL (from off also) from within my own network... Next step, over the internet :)

Hi Guys,

I have been reading on WOL as I am having issues with both of my rigs.
I have an EP35C-DS3R and a P55-USB3 with following settings:
(indentical on both)
ACPI Suspend Mode: S3(STR)
PME Event Wake Up: Enabled
Power on by ring: Enabled
OSX 10.6.7
Chameleon latest trunk with P-States, C-States, Restart fix, Wake and Force Wake enabled
3 Options check on Systems Preferences Energy Saver
Both are connected to the same router

(Different)
Apple identifiers MacPro3,1 and MacPro5,1

On the P35 I can get sleep to work and wake with a key stroke or mouse movement. I can't however WOL either in sleep mode or shutdown mode
On the P55 I can't get sleep to work. However, WOL in shutdown mode works perfectly

What gives? I am not sure why they behave differently. I understand that the Mobos are totally different, but I would expect something a bit more predictable. I am not sure where to look or what to try. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Have you got windows on the machine?
Check my instructions above to put the MAC address in...

Mine was empty, and its also empty on my work laptop... But once I populated it in Windows, my WOL works.

natdeamer said:
Have you got windows on the machine?
Check my instructions above to put the MAC address in...

Mine was empty, and its also empty on my work laptop... But once I populated it in Windows, my WOL works.

Thanks for the tip. I will have to create a small partition for win7 to try it out. Is it a one time deal, or does the partitom have to be there permanently?

Not sure, I still have my windows partition there o a spare harddrive, but never boot into it....

Well, I went home for lunch, unplugged my Win7 drive from one of my PCs and plugged in to my hackintosh with the p35 board; change the bios to boot from it, and after a couple of reboots for Win7 to adjust to new hardware I was in business. I followed your directions and it worked for Win7 WOL. After confirming it booted fine, I went back to my bios and enabled my OSX as the boot drive. It booted fine, but the WOL stopped working.
This is very puzzling to me. It seems that (and pardon my ignorance if I am blowing smoke here) at shutdown, my hackintosh is not sending the proper information to the bios. I am thinking it is not sending the IP address just like windows was doing it. It may be due to the LAN driver on OSX or chameleon... not sure. Any suggestions?

This was happening to me with my old P5L-VM 1394 motherboard.
WOL would work if I shut down from within Windows, but not if I shut down from OSX.

What network card does your motherboard have?

I'm guessing you are testing from within your own network?

Try putting OSX to sleep and sending the Magic Packet, any difference?

I am inside the network... using an iOS App called Net Status... I am pretty sure it sends a magic packet.
My LAN card is a Realtek 8111B, built in to the Mobo.

I am going to do a bit of research and try to understand where this thing is breaking. The good thing is that you gave me a big push forward as I was completely blind as what was going on. Now, I think I have a few ideas as far as what to read on. It may be as simple as putting a fixed IP address on the box, we'll see. I'll update this thread with what I find.

The main reason why I am so eager to get this going is that all my movies get streamed from this box to my media room. I would like to remote start and shutdown my server with my iPhone to save on energy and also to extend the life of the drives. This box will eventually get relocated to a remote area in the house where the noise and kids won't tinker with it.

Yeap, you are right; I have read many articles stating the same. Nevertheless, my movie watching habits are completely random; sometimes I may not watch a movie from my server in weeks and other times I may watch something every other day. Having the ability to power cycle my rig remotely makes things a lot easier. Reevaluating, I have to say it is more for the power savings. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back