Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
5700 XT
It so happened that I got the NZXT Kracken X52 water cooling system. It works well on Windows 10 and other Windows operating systems, but it is not possible to manage it on macOS. There is a way to control via the command line using libusb, but it is complicated and inconvenient.

I managed to learn how to control my water cooling through macOS Catalina. This will also work on any older versions of Apple operating systems.

To control NZXT AIO Water Coolers, any model is suitable, on Hackintosh you need to use a virtual machine on Windows 10. I use Paralles Desktop, but others, including VMware Fusio, are also suitable.

After starting Windows 10, you need to redefine the NZXT Kracken USB connection from Mac to the virtual machine in the program settings so that it sees the water cooling system. If you do not complete this step, nothing will work.

NZXT AIO Water Coolers macOS 3.jpg

Then you need to install the NZXT Cam 3.7.8 application, which you can download a little lower. Newer versions of the program (4.0 and newer) will not work - the Windows 10 operating system will generate an error and reboot. All AIO settings functions fully work. You can control the speed of the pump and fans, as well as adjust the backlight.

NZXT AIO Water Coolers macOS 1.jpg

NZXT AIO Water Coolers macOS 2.jpg

Settings in the NZXT Kracken X52 are stored in the cooling itself until the power is completely turned off, so you do not have to turn on the virtual machine every time. It is very comfortable.

PS. Forgive me for my English, I do not know this language very well

Attachments

• CAM_Installer V3.7.8.exe.zip
    94.7 MB · Views: 486
Reactions: JBX
Thanks, it works!

It so happened that I got the NZXT Kracken X52 water cooling system. It works well on Windows 10 and other Windows operating systems, but it is not possible to manage it on macOS. There is a way to control via the command line using libusb, but it is complicated and inconvenient.

I managed to learn how to control my water cooling through macOS Catalina. This will also work on any older versions of Apple operating systems.

To control NZXT AIO Water Coolers, any model is suitable, on Hackintosh you need to use a virtual machine on Windows 10. I use Paralles Desktop, but others, including VMware Fusio, are also suitable.

After starting Windows 10, you need to redefine the NZXT Kracken USB connection from Mac to the virtual machine in the program settings so that it sees the water cooling system. If you do not complete this step, nothing will work.

View attachment 463742

Then you need to install the NZXT Cam 3.7.8 application, which you can download a little lower. Newer versions of the program (4.0 and newer) will not work - the Windows 10 operating system will generate an error and reboot. All AIO settings functions fully work. You can control the speed of the pump and fans, as well as adjust the backlight.

View attachment 463743

View attachment 463744

Settings in the NZXT Kracken X52 are stored in the cooling itself until the power is completely turned off, so you do not have to turn on the virtual machine every time. It is very comfortable.

PS. Forgive me for my English, I do not know this language very well
Hi ! Your solution is simply amazing ! Do you know if there is any solution for NZXT AIO Z73 (The one with OLED Screen) ! Sadly, it requires CAM Installer 4.0+ so is there any work-around ? Thank you, in advance !

CAM 4.20 firmware 2.1 works for me in my Win 10 as well as Win 8 Vmware Fusion virtual machines.
Greetings Henties

Reactions: JBX
CAM 4.20 firmware 2.1 works for me in my Win 10 as well as Win 8 Vmware Fusion virtual machines.
Greetings Henties
Hi Henties ! Thanks for the answer ! I just tried it and while I can see the Kraken Z73, I cant seem to be able to fully control it. I am able to change the GIF Logo and also to rotate the logo but this is pretty much the only think that seems to work. When I change the speed of the pump it does not seem to take effect. Also the CPU clock is not updating live for me. Is yours FULLY controllable or do you also experience limited functionality ? Thanks !

@Navigator7491 Yes I can control it fully as stated in my post. In the mean time the CAM software has been updated to version 4.21, suggest you try that one, wishing you luck.

Greetings Henties

It works, thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip iDrakus :thumbup:

I just purchased and installed an NZXT Kraken x53. I am running Big Sur, VMware 12.x with Windows 10. And for now had to temporary use USBInjectAll.kext (will do new USB remap later). I can use the latest CAM software and I am able to control the RGB but not sure about pump/fan settings, also looks like CAM can not read temps via this solution (I do use iStat Menus in macOS so I can see temps). Also as you mentioned, unfortunately the settings did not stick after power is off a while. Also VMware often forgets (is not persistent) on my USB connect to preferences, so I have to re-tick the box often in the VM settings USB tab.

Last edited:
Well after some more searching, I found something here on tonymacx86 that I had seen over a year ago but had forgotten about... this post from CaseySJ from back in July 2020. Also, instructions from the liquidctl developer here.

So now I am learning to use liquidctl and have a script working so when I boot my macOS it will set my favorite RGB to the Kraken without using a virtual machine or Windows (CaseySJ explains how in his mini guide). I also keep my favorite settings/commands in a clipboard app (Clipy) for pasting them into the Terminal so that whenever I want, I can change the RGB for both the Ring and Logo on my Kraken X53 again without a VM or Windows. For me it's just the RGB, depending on your build, you maybe able to control other aspects. I usually keep my pump/fans on default which is Silent.

NZXT-liquidctl-commands.png

I will try anything before resorting to use Windows. :lol: Big thanks to CaseySJ!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back