Contribute
Register

[Guide] How to keep Clover working when installing Windows and Linux

Hello would like to get some Help.

i’m Running ZDesignare390. And 2 SSD (one Samsung position M2L) And one Sabrent (Position M2M)

i installed Catalina 15.3 first on the Samsung 970PRO, Which was on the first slot on theMotherboard (M2M).
Everything was Running 100%.
I just pasted and save the EFI of this on an external Cloud.

Then, I removed the SSD from the motherboard for proper installation, and installed Win10 on the Sabrent on the first position.
It was advised to install Windows on the first slot on the Motherboard which i Did.

now i put the SSD (Catalina-970Pro) on the 2nd Slot and tried to Dual Boot.

i can Boot on clover. But the Mac UEFI doesnt seem to Appear. It is only Written Boot on Mac Os (and Not boot on Mac OS Uefi ??).
So i try to verbose and nothing happens (only Write ++++++++++).
I tried also to Put back the Catalina SSD in the first slot which did not work!!

How Ever, the Windows boot from clover is Working.

what can i Do ?
Thank you very Much ❤️

bcfg boot add 0 efi\clover\cloverx64.efi "Clover Boot Manager"

if I wanted to remove the clover entry, for example if I wanted to switch to open core - could I just replace "add" with "delete" in that command, or would that break stuff?

Thank you very much in advance!

if I wanted to remove the clover entry, for example if I wanted to switch to open core - could I just replace "add" with "delete" in that command, or would that break stuff?

Thank you very much in advance!

To remove an entry use "rm" in the command without the path and display name. Just be careful to remove the correct entry and you should be fine. Do a "bcfg boot dump" to inspect the option list first.

I'm on mojave but its just saying "boot mac s from xxx" (so no "uefi" in text description) here as well... not sure if I get your question though..

They found a resolution to this issue elsewhere as indicated by their history. In any event it was an issue starting macOS and not Clover so it was outside the scope of this guide.

Hi all, i'm doing the "Clover UEFI Shell" metod but next day when i boot clover desapears again from boot and had to do all again.

I'm with an nvme with Mojave and a SSD with W10.

Hi all, i'm doing the "Clover UEFI Shell" metod but next day when i boot clover desapears again from boot and had to do all again.

You might want to try disabling the fast startup feature in the control panel as described in this post. Go to Start - Windows System - Control Panel - Power Options and click the link "Choose what the power buttons do" and uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommend)". You might need to click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" first to enable the options at the bottom. On at least some systems this apparently interferes with saving NVRAM settings if enabled.

You should be fine to revert to the original name. Try and see how it goes.
Finally took the time to do it.

I actually had to files "bootmgfw.efi" AND "bootmgfw-orig.efi" giving me two entries in Clover bootloader for windows partitions.

I removed the "bootmgfw-orig.efi" and rebooted with now one windows entry in Clover and it is working fine.

Thanks.

You might want to try disabling the fast startup feature in the control panel as described in this post. Go to Start - Windows System - Control Panel - Power Options and click the link "Choose what the power buttons do" and uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommend)". You might need to click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" first to enable the options at the bottom. On at least some systems this apparently interferes with saving NVRAM settings if enabled.
Fast startup is something you always need to disable if you are dual booting. It also may cause problems if you have enabled automatic updates in Win10. See Fast Startup and Why You May Want to Disable it

I am wondering if something has changed with Windows and whether the people posting advice are not aware. I have had this working fine before but could not today. I don't have Fast Startup option as I disable Hibernation completely with "powercfg -h off"

I tried 3 different methods to fix and NONE stick - Windows seems to re-assert control after every boot of it.

I tried
Clover Shell & BCFG
Linux efibootmgr
Windows bootice (since Hasleo product no longer free).

Maybe MS added some new "feature" to Windows

Back