Contribute
Register

[Guide] How to keep Clover working when installing Windows and Linux

Yes! Finally, I made it with the EasyUEFI method from your post. Thank you so much!

Before getting your post, I tried Clover UEFI Shell method so many times with so many Clover Bootloader versions. But each time I failed for not working shift key of my keyboard. The issue is running for a long time. Don't know why they aren't fixing the shift key issue.

Can it run for legacy?

Great guide, thank you.

Dual boot (Windows 10/Catalina) for few weeks, I got the first windows update today and got the issue with direct windows boot at startup.
I tried replacing BOOTX64.efi by the one from CLOVER, all the three methods as per your good guide and no luck, every boot to windows leads to an immediate reboot to windows, no clover menu.

After few hours of looking at the issue, I figured out the trouble.
None of the methods were kept in memory because during the windows update I had fast shutdown available (company strategy I can't modify).

I started back to windows and forced a full shutdown with : shutdown /s /f /t 0
Then it was possible to fix the automatic boot to windows and add the clover boot for future windows updates.
It could be good to add this tip into the guide.

Last edited:
I followed this recipe and succeeded in getting Clover to come up reliably. However, I still can't boot my Windows drive. When I select "Boot Windows from Microsoft EFI" (which I think is not quite the right option) what happens is that I get into a new Clover boot menu with zero items i.e. no icons. There is no way to recover from this state other than the power button.

Item 0 on the "map" list that I edited in UEFI shell was the Windows boot manager, so I wonder if when I followed the recipe so literally, I lost that entry by overwriting it with "Clover Boot Manager". Could that happen? Should I somehow have copied item 0 to another slot before overwriting?

I know my win10 boot disk is OK: I can mount it and see the files etc. I just can't find a way to boot it via Clover.

Oh and I should mention (still not clear on this): I think my win10 boot disk after install had an EFI partition that has since disappeared (without my intervention). Does it need its own EFI partition -- do I need to restore it? -- or should it boot from bootmgfw.efi on the MacOS system disk EFI partition?

Last edited:
Just wanted to say a Great Big Thanks for this tip, which when applied properly saved my bacon (and possibly my sanity, after 3 days of UEFI hell). Here's how I used it successfully, with 2 internal SSDs.

The most frequently used solution is renaming the Windows Boot Manager executable bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi but this is only a temporary solution that will break whenever Windows updates occur.
Hi jpz4085,

thank you for your guide !

I have a simple question, though.

After following Going Bald's guide on multibooting UEFI, I renamed "bootmgfw.efi" into "bootmgfw-orig.efi"

The question is, after following your guide and adding a new entry for Clover, should I keep "bootmgfw-orig.efi" as is or reverte to "bootmgfw.efi" ?

Hi jpz4085,

thank you for your guide !

I have a simple question, though.

After following Going Bald's guide on multibooting UEFI, I renamed "bootmgfw.efi" into "bootmgfw-orig.efi"

The question is, after following your guide and adding a new entry for Clover, should I keep "bootmgfw-orig.efi" as is or reverte to "bootmgfw.efi" ?

You should be fine to revert to the original name. Try and see how it goes.

Linux: efibootmgr
  1. Boot to your Linux distribution on your hard disk or install flash drive. (UEFI mode)
  2. Open Terminal and enter the command below. (Assumes correct EFI partition is sda1 otherwise check and use the -d and -p switches to select the correct disk/partition.)
    • Code:
      sudo efibootmgr -c -l \\EFI\\CLOVER\\CLOVERX64.efi -L "Clover Boot Manager"
  3. Close Terminal then restart and remove the flash drive if present and verify the Clover Boot Menu appears.
Linux/GRUB updates might sometimes require using the -o switch to move Clover back to the default position in the boot order. An example is provided below where Boot0000 is Clover.
  • Code:
    sudo efibootmgr -o 0,7,81,82,83,84

This worked perfectly for me...! Thank you SO much!!

I couldn't even get my macOS install to boot from the original install usb I used (admittedly not unibeast b/c Catalina), which was very surprising / confusing to me.

So I'm v grateful this command worked. Verbatim the command in #2, and boom -- clover was set to default even.

Back