Contribute
Register

[Guide] How to keep Clover working when installing Windows and Linux

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...t/9f02fbe4-acae-41cf-b098-6ecbe6e5e868?auth=1 it seems I am not alone in seeing Windows overwrite other OS

and

SOLUTION FOUND:
1) Don't fight Windows (let it think it has won)
2) Replaced bootx64.efi and bootmgfw.efi by copying CLOVERX64.efi and renaming. Keep the original files by renaming them FIRST with .bak or something.
3) Windows removes the Clover entry that EasyUEFI creates and thinks it has won the battle but we have beaten it!

Bonus: No two entries for Windows now too :cool:
I spoke too fast.

I replaced bootmgfw.efi in windows file by cloverx64.efi from clover file. But now, it can no longer boot in windows : if i select windows at clover boot screen, it will relaunch clover without any choice this time. I guess I did something wrong.

I'm experiencing the same behavior after my recent Windows10 update to version 1903. I was going to spring $29.95 to buy EasyUEFI (I can't find a copy of the free 1.7 version anywhere online that doesn't set off a virus alert); but given what I read in #3 above (under SOLUTION FOUND), I guess EasyUEFI no longer offers a permanent solution. And I've also tried the bootmgfw.efi renaming route but just like you, that only results in a continual loopback into Clover whenever I try to boot into Windows.

So am I correct in thinking that there isn't really a bombproof way of dual or triple booting that survives updates from Windows and Linux? That's certainly been my past experience - which is why I gave up a couple of years ago and am here now wondering what's changed. It seems not a lot - well unless you happen to be the kind of person who writes sticky guides, rather than reads them. This sticky thread seems to have more questions than answers and the other one about booting each OS on a separate drive seems to be 43 pages of people having problems? Is that fair or are lots of people making the same mistakes, or is just that Windows keeps shifting the goal posts?

I've been a Mac user since 1991 and all I really need is solid hackintosh - which I have. The last thing I want to do is to risk screwing up that install by messing with Windows or Linux - but at the same time I'm quite keen to learn more about Linux especially and (having just started playing with flashing GFX card ROMs for my ancient Mac Pros) a windows install would be useful, if only briefly. So far the only sure fire way seems to be to disconnect all other drives bar the one with the OS you want to boot from - presumably that's pretty safe? Though the BIOS might get a bit confused . . . mine still thinks there's an Ubuntu drive to boot into when there hasn't been one connected for two years!

So am I correct in thinking that there isn't really a bombproof way of dual or triple booting that survives updates from Windows and Linux?
You could do what Going Bald does. Install a hotswap bay and boot each OS separately without ever creating any problems with a dual or triple boot machine. Eliminates any chance of your Clover bootloader getting overwritten by Windows.

Do you have an empty optical drive bay? Do what I did - get a hotswap tray and install it in the ODD bay - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P2PNOOM/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

They make different versions - just find one to fit your needs. Only the drive you are booting right now in in a tray.
No worries about problems with booting the wrong drive or one OS messing up the other drives for the other OS's.

Thanks for the clarification trs96. Coincidentally, that is exactly what I've been experimenting with the last week or so. I had installed the hotswap tray a while back, as a way of using separate recording session drives for different clients and projects, and only recently did it occur to me that this would work to separate OS installs.

There are some issues with regard to the BIOS getting a bit confused since when the OSX boot drive is not connected in the hotswap bay then my (Asus z97) BIOS automatically eliminates it as an option, elevating the next drive down to the first position. I'm still experimenting but it's really not a big deal to go into the BIOS prior to booting from a different OS especially if it gives peace of mind that nothing is going to wreck my OSX install.

I wonder if any one knows if the BIOS in more modern motherboards - my builds are all Haswell - handle hot swapping any better or differently?
Many thanks

Since I am going to re-make a clean setup from scratch (yes, I hate myself :lol:) and I will install macOS, Windows 10, Arch Linux, which is the better installation order to follow in oder to minimize number of booting issues?

I'm experiencing the same behavior after my recent Windows10 update to version 1903. I was going to spring $29.95 to buy EasyUEFI (I can't find a copy of the free 1.7 version anywhere online that doesn't set off a virus alert); but given what I read in #3 above (under SOLUTION FOUND), I guess EasyUEFI no longer offers a permanent solution. And I've also tried the bootmgfw.efi renaming route but just like you, that only results in a continual loopback into Clover whenever I try to boot into Windows.
Since my last reply, I've been able to successfully follow the Clover UEFI Shell procedure in post #1 above. It was a bit tricky identifying which hard disk to use for the new firmware boot entry but now that I have, all is good. I can use StartupDisk from Mac High Sierra to boot into Windows 10, and then just do a restart command in Windows when I'm done using it and my setup runs Clover, which in turn boots into High Sierra by default. When doing an OS update for either Mac or Windows all I need to do is select the appropriate drive in Clover to continue whatever multi-part reboot is needed to complete the update.

Since I am going to re-make a clean setup from scratch (yes, I hate myself :lol:) and I will install macOS, Windows 10, Arch Linux, which is the better installation order to follow in oder to minimize number of booting issues?

Probably best to start with macOS first then Windows and Linux from my experience. If using separate disks the order shouldn't matter but disconnect or disable the others when installing each operating system. Install Clover last and create the firmware boot entry as the final step.

Last edited:
Yes, I have three disks, one NVME and two SSD.

OK, I edited my original reply so just try the suggestion about disconnecting the drives while installing and worry about Clover and boot order issues last.

Back