Contribute
Register

[Guide] How to install and configure PCIe NVMe drive on GA-P55-USB3 (or old motherboards)

Motherboard
GA-P55-USB3
CPU
X3480
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everyone! I recently purchased a new NVME drive for my Frankentosh to occupy the second slot for a video card and transfer a Mac OS to this disk.
My configuration:
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3
Video - Gigabyte GTX 1050ti
CPU - Intel Xeon x3480
RAM - 24 GB
It is worth noting that this motherboard model lacks a m2 connector and has a legacy BIOS. (motherboard 2010 lol ...)
Therefore, all manipulations will be performed with an alternative bootloader - Clover.
I intentionally do not install kexts in the mac os system, because I want to upgrade to Catalina in the future (yes yes I still have high sierra installed).
I ordered all the products from Aliexpress, as their prices are low there.
two components were purchased:
*PCIe to M2 NVMe adapter and *NVMe M2 SSD drive.
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-01 at 15.13.29.jpeg
After receiving the package, I installed the drive in a free port and booted into the system in order to configure the clover.

My setup path was as follows:
1) Install nvmexpressdxe.efi driver via *Clover Configurator APP through the tab "Install Drivers" and copy in folders Drivers64 and Drivers64UEFI. (The drive was detected by the system immediately, so this operation is done in order for the clover to display the drive on the boot screen).
2) Transfer the system to a new drive using the program Carbon Copy Cloner 5. (Before that, I created an APFS (GUID) partition in the disk utility).
3) Make the drive internal (because it showed up as an external drive).
To do this, need to download kexts *Lilu Kext and *Innie Kext.
1) Download Lilu. The file (unzipped) will be called Lilu.kext.
2) Control-click on Lilu.kext and select Show Package Contents. You will see the folder "Contents." Open it.
3) In Contents, create a new folder called "Plugins" (exactly like this, but without quotation marks, of course). This is where Innie (and any other plugins) will live.
4) Copy Innie into the Plugins folder.
After that, I put the modified Lilu kext in the CLOVER/Kexts/Other folder.
Thanks to this link I managed to do it *CLICK.

After rebooting, I got an accelerated system several times (unfortunately I cannot provide a screenshot of the speed measurements, but the system boot time has decreased significantly).

In the system information, this disk is displayed like this:
Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 15.17.05.png

I hope my information will be useful for those who are not the newest Customac :) All the best!