Contribute
Register

[Guide] How to hide unwanted volumes on Clover boot menu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean, but can't complain given Clover is infinitely lovely compared with its cost :)

Hi all,

If anybody is having the same problem I had, I could not seem to be able to hide the partition ""Boot Windows from EFI".

In order to hide it, I added the name of the partition in quotes like this "Boot Windows from EFI" like so in Clover in the GUI section.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Gui.jpg
    Gui.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 416
Very simple, but very good idea - that makes a lot of sense. Clover may not like the spaces and enclosing in quotes makes sure they are included. Good idea thanks.

Hi all,

If anybody is having the same problem I had, I could not seem to be able to hide the partition ""Boot Windows from EFI".

In order to hide it, I added the name of the partition in quotes like this "Boot Windows from EFI" like so in Clover in the GUI section.

Hope this helps.
Could your success be attributed to the version of Clover that you're using? I tried this for my problematic entry, and it didn't work. I'm on an older version, 4895.

I wanted to share an update on my situation, in case anyone else encounters something similar. If you have an annoying extra entry called "Boot Microsoft EFI Boot from EFI" (this is not the normal Windows boot entry of similar name), do the following:

Mount your EFI partition (via Clover Configurator or manually).
Once mounted and inside, navigate to EFI (folder) -> Microsoft -> Boot

Inside the Boot folder, there should be three files ending in extension .efi (as of this writing), as follows:

bootmgfw.efi
bootmg.efi
memtest.efi

If you see any others with a .efi extension, you should rename them by adding another extension at the end, such as this example: name_of_file.efi.backup or name_of_file.efi.old - in other words, do not delete any files. Leave them there so that you can rename them back to their original names if needed.

For further reading here is the backstory of my situation:

In my case, I had an extra .efi file after trying workarounds to get Clover bootloader back after a Windows update had taken over and made it disappear. At the time, I had renamed bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi, which brought the Clover bootloader back to life, but another Windows update came along and put a new bootmgfw.efi in there, causing Clover to disappear again. So, after searching for a better option, I found a Linux solution (see Linux command here) that prevents Windows from taking over again in the future. However, in doing so, I forgot to delete bootmgfw-orig.efi, so the next time I updated Windows, a new bootmgfw.efi appeared and caused a duplicate entry. LONG STORY SHORT: all instances of a bootmgfw file will cause additional entries when they have a .efi extension, regardless of their base name.

I wanted to share an update on my situation, in case anyone else encounters something similar. If you have an annoying extra entry called "Boot Microsoft EFI Boot from EFI" (this is not the normal Windows boot entry of similar name), do the following:

Mount your EFI partition (via Clover Configurator or manually).
Once mounted and inside, navigate to EFI (folder) -> Microsoft -> Boot

Inside the Boot folder, there should be three files ending in extension .efi (as of this writing), as follows:

bootmgfw.efi
bootmg.efi
memtest.efi

If you see any others with a .efi extension, you should rename them by adding another extension at the end, such as this example: name_of_file.efi.backup or name_of_file.efi.old - in other words, do not delete any files. Leave them there so that you can rename them back to their original names if needed.

For further reading here is the backstory of my situation:

In my case, I had an extra .efi file after trying workarounds to get Clover bootloader back after a Windows update had taken over and made it disappear. At the time, I had renamed bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi, which brought the Clover bootloader back to life, but another Windows update came along and put a new bootmgfw.efi in there, causing Clover to disappear again. So, after searching for a better option, I found a Linux solution (see Linux command here) that prevents Windows from taking over again in the future. However, in doing so, I forgot to delete bootmgfw-orig.efi, so the next time I updated Windows, a new bootmgfw.efi appeared and caused a duplicate entry. LONG STORY SHORT: all instances of a bootmgfw file will cause additional entries when they have a .efi extension, regardless of their base name.
I do not have the Microsoft folder inside the EFI folder (please, have a look at the attachment).

Hi all,

Hope this helps.
Unfortunately, this trick didn't work on Clover r5108.

Apart from MacOS Catalina, I have the two Windows options both set on the EFI partition as you can see from the images below (Win10 is installed on a second SSD drive).
How can I remove the not-working one?

Attachments

• Clover screen 1.jpg
    Clover screen 1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 194
  • Clover screen.jpg
    Clover screen.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 196
  • EFI.zip
    23.4 MB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Been pulling my hair out as well over the fact my Cat 15.2 build is hiding windows and fat volumes from showing up. Only Afps drive shows. This includes internal drives along with usb devices (usb ports work for mouse etc). Any suggestions be appreciated.

Thank you

I do not have the Microsoft folder inside the EFI folder (please, have a look at the attachment).

I'm not sure about this, but it could possibly have something to do with the way you are booting partitions from your system BIOS - i.e. whether you are booting with Legacy or UEFI.

One thing you can try (should work in r5108) is to highlight each Windows option in Clover and hit space. You'll be presented with some options and information at the top that may tell you where the boot options are coming from on your Windows partition. I am attaching a photo of what my Windows option looks like, so you can see what you are looking for in the menu.

Hope you can figure it out. Cheers!

Attachments

• cloveroptions.jpg
    cloveroptions.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 200
Holy crap, from what I'm reading here it looks like this bootloader is the worst configurable thing in the world. Clover sucks so deeply for it's shameful configuration options. Look above how people are struggling and never accomplishing this simple task of sorting/removing boot menu items, selecting default, setting timeout... This approach of guessing which items to hide is just plain wrong. There should be an option to run clover scan in place and select from scanned items which of them to SHOW in the boot menu!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back