Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYE Z87X-UD5 TH
CPU
Intel i7-4770K Haswell
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 760
After installing High Sierra and Win10 dualboot I was left with a very cluttered clover boot menu (see below)
I'm using clover 4297 with the minimalist theme (Available here: https://github.com/lebinma/clover-minimal)
I had the "FileVault Prebooter from Preboot" boot option, "macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot" boot option, a Recovery boot option, and the regular "Boot macOS from High Sierra HD" and Win10 options. Win10 also had 3 legacy partitions that showed up which I easily removed by following this simple guide:

I found 3-4 older guides on the forum to address hiding/customizing what appears on the boot menu. All of them were either overly complex, didn't work for me, or were very vague (I'm still a noob). The following guide is how I fixed the problem on my system. While this method does not address customizing the titles, it is a very simple and non-permanent method to hide unwanted volumes/partitions. After completing this, you can re-show the hidden items with F3 if needed.

1. Mount your EFI partition where clover is (I used the Clover Configurator app to mount the disk, note your disk may have a different name)
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 7.55.35 PM.png

2. Navigate to your config.plist file on your now mounted EFI partition.
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 7.20.35 PM.png

3. Open config.plist and navigate to Hide under GUI. (I used PlistEdit Pro to open the plist file and edit)
Just add the volumes you want to hide into Hide Volume's section. I used this text to hide the recovery and preboot options from the boot menu.
Code:
<key>GUI</key>
   <dict>
       <key>Hide</key>
       <array>
           <string>Recovery</string>
           <string>Preboot</string>
       </array>
       <key>Scan</key>
       <true/>

</dict>

The result looks like this (Note I have 2 other strings to hide windows volumes):
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 7.23.24 PM.png

How it looks in PlistEdit Pro:
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 7.22.29 PM.png

4. Save the edited config.plist and exit PlistEditPro.
7. Quit Clover Configurator
8. Reboot

In my case I was only left with the regular High Sierra boot option as desired. See before and after:

BEFORE:
screenshot5.png

screenshot4.png

screenshot3.png

AFTER:
screenshot1.png

To unhide the options, F3 on your keyboard does in fact bring back the full list of boot partitions (contrary to what older guides I found online stated). Pressing F3 results in this:
screenshot2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
hello
can you share your clover theme please?
thx

sorry, found in original post ;)

Last edited:
Ive removed "preboot" and "recovery" successfully but i also have "Boot windows from EFI" and "boot windows from". would you know how to remove these? all i need is "Boot Microsoft from EFI" and "Boot Mac OS from MACINTOSH"

Thanks for posting this guide - it worked perfectly on my "PastryChef" i7/Z370 build.

I also had the "Windows" and "\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI" strings in my config.plist - adding "Recovery" and "Preboot" hid everything except my MacOS and Windows boot volumes. Perfect!

I had to add the UUID for a couple of entries for the partition on my Windows drive and add "Boot Windows from EFI".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 4.13.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 4.13.00 PM.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 2,401
Any other suggestion how to hide "Boot from Windows Legacy HD3" and "Boot from Windows Legacy HD4"?
Tried the above suggestions - still show up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 1.39.55 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 1.39.55 pm.png
    69 KB · Views: 1,581
Any other suggestion how to hide "Boot from Windows Legacy HD3" and "Boot from Windows Legacy HD4"?
Do you boot Windows from UEFI or Legacy?
If you boot from UEFI simply disable scan legacy
Code:
<dict>
    <key>GUI</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Scan</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Entries</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Legacy</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Linux</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Tool</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
</dict>
If you boot Windows from Legacy you can create a custom legacy entry.

custent.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back