2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Classic
  3. iMac
  4. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
For years I've depended on the 'Insert' button acting in place of the Eject key. It allowed me to easily shutdown, reboot and sleep with simple keypresses. Recently, VoodooPS2Controller went through some changes, moving the Eject feature to Pause! What this means for all of my computers (HP Probook 640 G2, Probook 450 G5 and Elitebook 850 G4), I have to hold the Fn key as well and use the right Shift key. IMO, not very intuitive... This edit is for HP laptops, but can easily be performed for your specific laptop.

Studying Rehabman's notes on VoodooPS2Controller.kext and using the Debug version to find key-codes, I was able to restore the Eject key to all of my HP laptops. To do this place a copy of VoodooPS2Controller.kext on the desktop. Right-click the file to show contents and navigate to Contents/Plugins/VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext. Again right-click to show contents again and open Contents. Now, open the info.plist file with Xcode.

To edit the key mapping info, navigate to:
Code:
IOKitPersonalities
    ApplePS2Keyboard
        Platform Profile
            HPQOEM
                ProBook-87
                    Custom ADB Map

Here's we will be swapping the 'pause' assignment with 'insert' and add the 'numlk' key for 102 keyboards.
Edit items:
Code:
Item 1    String    e045=34;pause => Play-Pause
Item 2    String    e052=42;insert => Next-track
Item 3    String    e046=92;break => Eject
To:
Code:
Item 1    String    e045=34;pause => Play-Pause
Item 2    String    e052=92;insert => Eject
Item 3    String    e046=42;break => Next-track
Item 4    String    45=92;numlk => Eject

Save your work and install the modified VoodooPS2Controller.kext into /Library/Extensions/. Now, both the insert and numlk keys will act as Eject!

What do possibility with this method eject F3-F4 brightness key for catalina on the hp probook 450 G6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back